Researching my family tree

In Kelly's directories between 1942 and 1968 the occupant of 110 Spencer Road is given as Herbert Hurt (Mabel Hurt in 1971 & 1973). There is a Sheffield marriage entry of 1947 for Herbert Hurt and Mabel Freeman.

A Mabel Freeman was born in Sheffield in 1922, her mother's maiden name being Maxfield, though this may be completely wrong as her parents weere most likely Lawrence W. Freeman and Ada L. Maxfield who were married in Sheffield in 1919..:confused:

In Kelly's directories between 1942 and 1968 the occupant of 110 Spencer Road is given as Herbert Hurt (Mabel Hurt in 1971 & 1973). There is a Sheffield marriage entry of 1947 for Herbert Hurt and Mabel Freeman.

A Mabel Freeman was born in Sheffield in 1922, her mother's maiden name being Maxfield, though this may be completely wrong as her parents weere most likely Lawrence W. Freeman and Ada L. Maxfield who were married in Sheffield in 1919..:confused:

I agree hillsbro, There are 6 births to this couple (surname Freeman mother's maiden name Maxfield) ranging from Mabel in 1922 to the last one 1936 but, as some of these may be living people I'll not post their names on here.

The birth for Doris Freeman is registered in 1928 Jan quarter. Mother is down as Smith. There is a marriage in 1930(a bit later) for a Arthur Freeman to Charlotte E Smith.

Hi due to lockdown, I’ve started researching my family tree again. I’ve hit a bit of a road block, can anyone help?

Both my mother and sister now deceased I believe were born (Doris Freeman  DOB 26.12.27)and (Elsie Freeman DOB 08.07.24 ) were both born in 50 Boynton Street Sheffield, I’m after confirmation of their parents names, and any other details would be good. I believe they may not have been married. Doris Oxleys father on wedding cert 21.06.47 gives father as Albert Freeman, deceased as a blacksmiths striker and says she was at 110 Spencer road June 1947

Also

I’m struggling  to understand the history around my grandparents  who I knew as Albert  I think and ??? Grandma Hurt, they lived  at 110 Spencer Road Sheffield, and how they link to me,? some one on here says they can be found in Kelly’s directories 

I am on ancestry if that helps

Edited by Daveoxo
Improvement of post

Hi Daveoxo – in case it's helpful, and just to summarise what we know from Kelly's directories etc., the directories that I have for 1922 to 1942 give "Albert Freeman, labourer" as the householder of 50 Boyton Street.  For 110 Spencer Road, "Herbert Hurt, blacksmith" is given between 1951 and 1968, then "Mabel Hurt" from 1971 to 1974 (the last directory published). It seems that Herbert Hurt died in 1969.

The marriages index confirms that a Mabel Freeman married a Herbert Hurt in Sheffield in 1947. I don't know if Ancestry gives you access to the 1939 Register, but in case it doesn't, the Register shows Albert Freeman (d.o.b. 9.3.1884) and Mabel Freeman (10.6.1894) at 50 Boyton Street (though there doesn't seem to be a marriage record).  An Albert Freeman of about the right age died in Sheffield in 1942, and the 1939 Register confirms that Mabel married someone with the surname Hurt in 1947. It also shows that Doris Freeman (d.o.b. wrongly given as 26.12.1928) married an Oxley in 1947. Doris's older brother Victor Freeman (d.o.b. 11.1.1922) was also at 50 Boyton Street in 1939.

Edited by hillsbro

Hi Daveoxo

what are your mum and dads first names.

Hi, I am still stuck, I have been on Ancestry trying to research, and drawing blanks (please see questions at bottom)

Summarised Background info i have

Albert Freeman

DOB on 1939 register 09.03.1884 (on 1939 register says Freeman but Ancestry result returns incorrectly Fallman)

1939 register Lived at 50 Boyton Street

Kelly’s Directories Lived at 50 Boyton Street 1922-1942

Deceased assuming 50 Boyton Street, April 1942

Mabel Freeman (Married Hurt in 1947)

DOB on 1939 register 10.06.1894 (again on 1939 register says Freeman but Ancestry result returns incorrectly Fallman)

Kelly’s Directories Lived at 110 Spencer Road 1971-1973

Deceased at 110 Spencer Road, July 1975

Victor Freeman

DOB on 1939 register 11.01.1922 (again on 1939 register says Freeman but Ancestry result returns incorrectly Fallman)

Deceased address unknown 06.03.2009

My Mother Doris Freeman (Married Oxley in 1947)  

DOB on 1939 register 26.12.1927 should be 1928 (again on 1939 register says Freeman but Ancestry result returns incorrectly Fallman)

Lived at 110 Spencer Road according to wedding cert 21.06.1947, then moved to 99 Carrfield Road once married

Deceased 09.10.2000 address is known

Questions:

Albert Freeman – Addresses needed before 1922, when and or if he was married to Mabel Freeman, as the 1939 register infers they were married

Mabel Freeman – Date married as above, as the 1939 register infers they were married, addresses up to 1947 when she married Hurt 2nd husband, what is Mabel’s birth / maiden name and place of birth

Victor Freeman – Any other information as little is known other than what is on the 1939 register and the death index

Doris Freeman – When did she move from 50 Boyton Street to 110 Spencer Road, maybe linked to her mother Mabel

I have a theory, not that I've tested it out robustly yet. If you look down the 1939  register page down to the bottom there is a Charles A Hurt, thought at first it said Hunt but I traced a Charles A Hurt back to being born in 1885. He had a sister of the right age called Martha Hurt. They were in St Silas's parish in 1911. Could Mabel be a pet name for Martha? Also why was the surmame crossed out and Hurt installed before she married Herbert almost 10 years later!Can't find a link between two Hurt families but could have been a distant cousin. Smith may have been put in for kids names as Mabel/Martha and Albert weren't actually married? 

Or was she registered at birth as Hart not Hurt? Still can't find a marriage to Freeman though !!! Death index says birth was 10 June 1893 whereas 1939 census as 1894! 

Name: Mabel Hart
Registration Year: 1893
Registration Quarter: Apr-May-Jun
Registration district: Sheffield
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Yorkshire West Riding
Volume: 9c
Page: 605
Edited by Rivelin6

Well, Rivelin6, it's an interesting theory - Hurt or Hart! I wonder how we could check it out. For surnames from later marriages to be included in the 1939 Register entries isn't actually unusual - these surnames were added, often in green ink (the same applies, for example, to my aunt Joyce Whittles, later Ridgard, who was married in 1952). Sometimes the actual date of the marriage was included, as in this case 6.12.47. But as Albert and Mabel do not seem to have been  married in 1939, there may well be an explanation of this kind. Curious!

Edited by hillsbro

Are we actually looking at the right Doris? as there was one with mother's maiden name Proctor born in 1922 with a sister called Irene?

Just noticed date of birth in an earlier post. Spent all day on this so my advice would be get the marriage certificate from 1947 to Herbert Hurt and check if it has the former maiden names on there as she could have been married a few times or get your Mum's birth certificate and see if any more details on there. 

Hi Hillsbro,

I think the Mabel Hart born in 1893 died 1899 but not been able to progress  other theory any further yet. 😔

Right, had another look at it this am and Elsie seems to have been born to a John and Florence Freeman nee Hobson. John was born 1899. The families seem to be related because their other daughter Florence married a  Herbert Rodgers in  1949. It shows this also in the 1939 register.  This John Freeman lived with some Oxleys  in 1911 census.  Rose Harriet Freeman, John's Mum  seems to have had him and his brother Charles out of wedlock then marries John Oxley in 1904. 

Edited by Rivelin6