Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

I reckon you're the winner so far, RW!

"Long" means different things to different people of course. But how come you did not go to a school in, for example, Barnsley?

I would guess that , like me, he went to De La Salle, which was the only Catholic grammar school in south Yorkshire ( see my earlier post #88 ) .

---------- Post added 04-01-2017 at 10:25 ----------

The title of this thread is misleading if people think travelling from one Sheffield suburb to another is a long way e.g. Pitsmoor to Hinde House or Hillsborough to Myers Grove.

I lived 5 miles North of Barnsley on the border with Wakefield but went to school in Sheffield. I had a paper round which I had to finish before catching the bus at 7am to Barnsley. I then caught the bus to Sheffield which would take one hour going through Worsbrough, Birdwell, Hoyland Common, Chapeltown, Ecclesfield, Lane Top, Firth Park, Fir Vale to Pitsmoor and do the whole thing in reverse later.

I would usually arrive home at 17-45hrs and have homework to do.

My parents thought they were doing their best for me I'm not so sure I'd agree with them looking back, I must have been permanently knackered

---------- Post added 04-01-2017 at 12:19 ----------

"Hillsborough to King Edwards" A long journey ?

I assume you went to De La Salle as I did. See my earlier post@ #88. What baffles me though is that I knew a lot of lads from Barnsley, Wombwell, Stairfoot, Worsborough who all got brought into school by a coach, along with girls for Notre Dame. Did your paper round make you miss that bus? Maybe you were in a different timeframe to me, however, and they had maybe stopped the coach rides. I was there from 1956 t0 1961.

Edited by TORONTONY

Excellent point, Tony, I had not realised the uniqueness of De La Salle. although I do remember the name. Wasn't there another one for girlies - Notre Dame?

..."Hillsborough to King Edwards" A long journey ?
Well, not as long as yours RW, but I for one wouldn't have liked to spend nearly an hour each way on two buses. It would be faster now thanks to the 52a and a brisk walk to and from Fulwood Road / Whitham Road. :)

Hiya folks

It was indeed De La Salle. My parents were keen for me to have a " good Catholic education". The only option for me/us was De La Salle.

There were no buses to take us to school. As far as I'm aware the lasses caught the train to Sheffield city Centre and we all caught the service bus to Pitsmoor. At age 11 I'd never been to Sheffield before, prior to that I thought everyone spoke as I did "sithe" and my first sight of a black person, lots of African/Caribbeans in Pitsmoor, I wondered where I'd come to.

I was there between 1965 and 1979, perhaps there were school buses prior to that.

Interesting thing is that at the time I never thought anything about it and just accepted it for what it was. It's only on reflection that I realise how far and how ridiculous it was

---------- Post added 04-01-2017 at 17:34 ----------

Well, not as long as yours RW, but I for one wouldn't have liked to spend nearly an hour each way on two buses. It would be faster now thanks to the 52a and a brisk walk to and from Fulwood Road / Whitham Road. :)

It was much longer than an hour. Darton to Barnsley 20 min, hang around for connection, one hour Barnsley bus station to Pitsmoor, and I had a bloody paper round.

Saturday and Sunday mornings was Church (not in Sheffield thankfully), Sunday evenings was Church.

Joined the RAF at 17, Catholicism disappeared out the window not long after

...It was much longer than an hour...
I meant Hillsbro's journey of up to 55 minutes. It would be faster now that the 52a bus goes direct from Hillsborough to Broomhill, from where it's a 350-yard trot down Newbould Lane. :)

Hiya folks

It was indeed De La Salle. My parents were keen for me to have a " good Catholic education". The only option for me/us was De La Salle.

There were no buses to take us to school. As far as I'm aware the lasses caught the train to Sheffield city Centre and we all caught the service bus to Pitsmoor. At age 11 I'd never been to Sheffield before, prior to that I thought everyone spoke as I did "sithe" and my first sight of a black person, lots of African/Caribbeans in Pitsmoor, I wondered where I'd come to.

I was there between 1965 and 1979, perhaps there were school buses prior to that.

Interesting thing is that at the time I never thought anything about it and just accepted it for what it was. It's only on reflection that I realise how far and how ridiculous it was

It was much longer than an hour. Darton to Barnsley 20 min, hang around for connection, one hour Barnsley bus station to Pitsmoor, and I had a bloody paper round.

Saturday and Sunday mornings was Church (not in Sheffield thankfully), Sunday evenings was Church.

I suppose the demand from the Barnsley area had been much less in your time than in mine. I know there were two coaches arrived on Scott Rd. every morning. The other one was from Doncaster and area. The girls of Notre Dame also travelled on the same buses, not sure who were dropped off first. Know what you mean about Catholicism disappearing out of the window lol. Mine went South 2 years before I left at 16. My local Parish priest was always reporting me to the school for missing Mass. ;)

Hiya folks

1965 to 1979 ?

---------- Post added 05-01-2017 at 02:10 ----------

How many recall getting to school -or not getting there- on the morning of the gales in February 1962 ?

Edited by stpetre
add

Vividly. My Dad nobly drove me to King Edward's school in Broomhill before going to Woodhouse Grammar where he taught. I must have caught the 'bus home in the afternoon, because I remember seeing the prefabs on Arbourthorne Hill all flattened as we went up the hill.

It must have been the previous afternoon that the winds were already getting up, as I remember walking down Fargate and being almost blown into the plate glass window of a shop - it was as if the wind had lifted me into the air, though I don't suppose it had really.