Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

I went to Rowlinson Tech.at Norton in the 60,s from Petre Street (Grimesthorpe) It took ages and was a bit nippy in the winter when you're wearing short trousers and had holes in your shoes. Aahh the good old days!!!

I lived on Stubbin Lane in Firth Park and went to Owler Lane School. Then my parents moved to Chippinghouse Road which meant a tram from Chippinghouse to C&A Modes and then another tram from C&A to Page Hall and then a 10 minute walk. I did this for a year and a half. I tried cycling it a couple of times but cycling through town was no fun in those days because of all the trams lines which were really greasy when wet. I bet I'm not the only one who came a cropper crossing wet tram lines.

Going to School in Liverpool meant going from the North side (Maghull ) to West Derby which on a map looks simple.

However, it required three bus changes and invariably took at lease an hour and a quarter. Just what I needed prior to a day battling the De Las Salle Brothers and their unique view of motivating children!!

Going to School in Liverpool meant going from the North side (Maghull ) to West Derby which on a map looks simple.

However, it required three bus changes and invariably took at lease an hour and a quarter. Just what I needed prior to a day battling the De Las Salle Brothers and their unique view of motivating children!!

Sounds similar to my trip to De la Salle on Scott Rd. from1956 to 1961. I lived in Brinsworth for most of that time, my schedule was a 10 minute walk uphill to catch a 32 Rotherham bus to Catcliffe, then a 21 Sheffield bus to Handsworth, then 52 to the Wicker, finally one of either 97 or a Southey Green bus, I think, to Scott Rd.and then another long walk to , as you say, spend a fun day among the Cassocks.:)

Sounds similar to my trip to De la Salle on Scott Rd. from1956 to 1961. I lived in Brinsworth for most of that time, my schedule was a 10 minute walk uphill to catch a 32 Rotherham bus to Catcliffe, then a 21 Sheffield bus to Handsworth, then 52 to the Wicker, finally one of either 97 or a Southey Green bus, I think, to Scott Rd.and then another long walk to , as you say, spend a fun day among the Cassocks.:)

Yes Mr.T. the 97 WAS the Southey Green bus, that and the Sheffield Lane Top buses would have taken you from the Wicker to the drop-off at Barnsley Road (Firshill School). Ironic that in 1968 -after you had left- they added another S.G. route, the No 20, which actually ran along Scott Road and by De La Salle. Still, a long way for you to travel tho'.

Yes Mr.T. the 97 WAS the Southey Green bus, that and the Sheffield Lane Top buses would have taken you from the Wicker to the drop-off at Barnsley Road (Firshill School). Ironic that in 1968 -after you had left- they added another S.G. route, the No 20, which actually ran along Scott Road and by De La Salle. Still, a long way for you to travel tho'.

Yes, I forgot the Lane top ones, I know I never had to wait long for the final leg of my trip, oh and on my way home I delivered about 100 Star's. However it was not unusual for kids to travel a long way to that school as it was the only Catholic grammar school in South Yorkshire. They came from Doncaster, Barnsley and Chesterfield, but they all came in by coach. Rotherham lads could go straight through on 69 then one more bus, however athough I could have gone to Rotherham and maybe saved one bus, I preferred the route I took as I could call at my grandparents in Catcliffe and have some breakfast lol;)

I remember being a 5 years old and taking a charabanc from Hackenthorpe to Ridgeway because there were no infant school facilites nearer. I initially went to the church school rooms behind the church on the main road through Ridgeway then later in the church hall which fronted on to the main road. There were no playgrounds at either of these buildings so playtimes/lunches were spent walking around Ridgeway accompanied by staff members.

One Winter the snow was so deep the charabanc left the road at High Lane Ridgeway and finished up in the field. Because there were no telephones let alone mobile phones our mums were eagerly awaiting our arrival at the top of Hackenthorpe having no knowledge of all these little 'uns (5/6 years old) who were still in Ridgeway in a snow drift.

I had just started at Ridgeway Infants school when they moved us to Beighton again by charabanc. I spent from age 5-8 being driven around in a charabanc in various schools.

I remember being a 5 years old and taking a charabanc from Hackenthorpe to Ridgeway because there were no infant school facilites nearer. I initially went to the church school rooms behind the church on the main road through Ridgeway then later in the church hall which fronted on to the main road. There were no playgrounds at either of these buildings so playtimes/lunches were spent walking around Ridgeway accompanied by staff members.

One Winter the snow was so deep the charabanc left the road at High Lane Ridgeway and finished up in the field. Because there were no telephones let alone mobile phones our mums were eagerly awaiting our arrival at the top of Hackenthorpe having no knowledge of all these little 'uns (5/6 years old) who were still in Ridgeway in a snow drift.

I had just started at Ridgeway Infants school when they moved us to Beighton again by charabanc. I spent from age 5-8 being driven around in a charabanc in various schools.

Yes, 'Charabanc', how did that French word get into Sheffield culture?, anyway on the W.M.Club kid's trips. the fortunate -me included- would announce that the 'Shara-bangs' were here !'

yes we had free bus pass because school was over 3 mile :D

Not free for everyone. I walked for 30 minutes to get to the tram and paid. Certainly more than 3 miles home to school. Distance and parents who claimed they could not afford it qualified for free transport . Two in our class qualified and they lived nearer school than those who paid. Some get benefits, some don't and some shouldn't. Sounds familiar!

Edited by ptrA

Not for everyone. I walked for 30 minutes to get to the tram. Certainly more than 3 miles home to school and those whose parents claimed they could not afford it. At least two in our class qualified and I didn't and they lived nearer school than I did. Some get benefits, some don't and some shouldn't.

Interesting ptrA, where were you travelling from and where to ?

Edited by stpetre
ADD

Hi Ray43,

I was one of those who caught the Sharps bus in front of the Red Lion between 1950 and 1955 along with Mr Guest plus one other who I can't remember. I started at Gleadless High School, up Smithfield Road and turn right, a very small school with little more than a handful of pupils between 5 and 11years. Anybody who went to GHSchool cant fail to recall Mrs Reynold's saint Bernard, a great dog and the day that it died the world ended and we all went into mourning.

Great days just after WW2 ended.

Brian

Remember being 11 yrs old and taking 2 bus rides from Ballifield to High Storrs

You used to go to High Storrs in the 60s? So did I, but I don't recognise your name. The other people I knew were Roy Birley and David Hawksworth, I was there into the 70s.