Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

walked to King Eggies - 38 mins 1.8 miles but very hilly and not nice in blizzards and snow drifts - probably why I don't ski or do snow resorts! Even worse if you had heavy bags to carry

Yes quite a long one. Norton lane near the fire station to De La Salle on Scott road pitsmoor... Bus to meadowhead and tram all the way to scott road..Took ages,,, Great tram trips...Really made a nuisance of myself..but eventually settled down with a friend who met me at Meadowhead..Older girl..thought I would marry her one day...no did not happen... Mary Ward...hope she has/had a good life..xx

I have really no idea how far it was but to an 11yr old it seemed a long way. 2 bus rides and a walk from Netheredge to Hillsborough(Marlcliffe School) it may not exist today

Marlcliffe is still there Sarah Ann, and people I know who went there say it doesn't look any different.

My sister Jill and I used to catch the No2 or 59 (outer Circular) from the junction of Carterknowle Road / Bannerdale Road to Waltheof school after we moved from Darnall. Not a bad trip when the weather was good but a nightmare in the snow !

I travelled from Arborthorne to Abbeydale Boys Grammer School...bus to town and another to school, usually by the old back loading busses although the new AEC Regent's with "modern" front doors started to appear.

Can we open this debate and think of other sorts of journeys between home and school.? A lot of us seemed to have travelled from the poor north/east of Sheffield to schools in the more affluent west. How did this affect you? Good or bad? Can I start off by saying that I found the hour's journey from Pitsmoor to Ecclesall to get to High Storrs quite strange. I saw semi-detached, detached houses that weren't black with soot and when I went to friend's houses I found out there were houses with hallways as a big as a room. Also they were very green with all the gardens and trees. Pitsmoor had very little greenery. The two places got separated in my mind and I seemed to live a double life - different speech, different friends, different aspirations. Anyone else feel similarly?

I went to school at Broomhill, I remember one lad travelled from Maltby and another from Baslow.

I was at Hurlfield Boys on East Bank Road from 61/66.

Used to live on Duke St near Park Baths, caught a bus to Manor Top then a walk through Arbourthorne Estate.

After Hurlfield went to City Grammar, even further !

I travelled from shiregreen to Girls' High School in 1951 and later from darnall. What a trek, specially in bad weather but didn't mind then. Happy days.

East Bank Rd/East Rd to Shoreham St for the tram to Meersbrook. Usually walked it (1 hour) and saved a penny for a fag. 1/2 penny each way = 1 penny.

I went to Silverdale and had to travel from Page Hall which meant two bus journeys but you just got on with it.