Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

Woodhouse to Hinde House - but only a few 52's went to Woodhouse most terminated at Ballifield so often walked the rest of the way home.

during the war.Folderings farm wharncliffe side to Hillsboro(Sacred Heart)no bus from up in the hills so a walk to wharcliffe side.Grammer school was De La Salle that meant our departure point was now KIveton Park,bus to City then across town to t'wicker for another bus to school.Happy days.

1956-59 - Walkley to Grange GS, Millhouses

1959-61 - Worrall to Grange GS, Millhouses

We never thought anything about those journeys. So sad that children today don't walk anywhere and certainly not without an adult in tow.

Lived in Pitsmoor and had to get to High Storrs Grammar. Me and my friend, Susan Burns, got the 75 from Burngreave Road, changed buses in town for the 82. This took us up to Hunters Bar and up to the terminus on Knowle Road. Then another slog up hill for about 10 minutes to get to the school. it took about an hour and we got a bus pass. It did seem a long journey at the time, not least because I was travelling from one 'world', the poor part of the inner city, all black terraced houses, to the rich side with detached houses and big gardens. Kathryn Dodd (nee Jones).

I used to attend All Saints Junior School, Pitsmoor, up to the age of 11.

After moving house to Shiregreen in 1954 at the age of 9, the homeward journey from school involved a 15 minute walk/run to the Vestry Hall (top of Gower Street), catch a tram to Firth Park, then a bus, number 150 to Nethershire Lane and finally a 5 minute walk home. 45 minutes to 1 hour in total.

Would a 9 year old be allowed to make this journey alone these days? 4 x 4 door to door I think.

from carbrook,attercliffe, bottom of broughton lane bus no 2/59

to hatfield house lane school, used to get the 10 passed 8 bus

How did you know that ?? You must be clairvoyant !!!!! :hihi::hihi:

I sometimes had to carry a sack of taties on me back 'an all, cos we 'ad 23 kids. Eeee life were grand then, no arse left in thee breeches, nits, father pissin' all't family allowance up wall.

Wot ya moaning about, lucky s**, at least yer had some taties, there were 23 of us lived in a rolled up newspaper int gutter!

Woodhouse to Hinde House - but only a few 52's went to Woodhouse most terminated at Ballifield so often walked the rest of the way home.

I did too CeeBeeBee, from 1965-1971(ish) Never heard of Hinde House till the letter came to say that was where I was going. Might know you. Had some good times there, made friends from Firth Park, Fir Vale, Darnall, Handsworth, people and places I'd probably not have known if I'd have gone to Beaver Hill.

Travelled from Wisewood To High Storrs - 1964-71. Often missed the 13/14 bus so had to run like the clappers down Wynyard Rd to get the 82 bus. Then had to walk up from bus terminus to school. Always getting detentions for being late!

Yes I went from Parson Cross to Totleya 2 bus ride At 11 it seemed a long way but soon became the norm. At least I had a bus pass but only for use on certain buses

In 1945 we lived at Woodseats, so I went to Woodseats School. Then we moved to 285 Ecclesall Rd, so I travelled down Ecclesall Rd to the bottom of the Moor, crossed over and got the tram to Woodseats.

Then I passed the 11+, and started at "King Ted's". Now it was just the walk up Collegiate Crescent - a short trip!