Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

Uphill both ways too, I'll bet.

I used to walk 47 miles in bare feet, thru' snow, ice and rain.

Eeeee, lad, tha dunt know tha born.............

Uphill both ways too, I'll bet.

How did you know that ?? You must be clairvoyant !!!!! :hihi::hihi:

I sometimes had to carry a sack of taties on me back 'an all, cos we 'ad 23 kids. Eeee life were grand then, no arse left in thee breeches, nits, father pissin' all't family allowance up wall.

Edited by Tradescanthia

How did you know that ?? You must be clairvoyant !!!!! :hihi::hihi:

I sometimes had to carry a sack of taties on me back 'an all, cos we 'ad 23 kids. Eeee life were grand then, no arse left in thee breeches, nits, father pissin' all't family allowance up wall.

Luxury=25 of us used to live on,t tip in a cardboard box,when fathur came oem he,d chuck ma ont fire and thrash us within an inch of us lives.We,d have a bowl of cold gravel for supper,sack a taties on they back you had it easy!:confused::rolleyes:

Luxury=25 of us used to live on,t tip in a cardboard box,when fathur came oem he,d chuck ma ont fire and thrash us within an inch of us lives.We,d have a bowl of cold gravel for supper,sack a taties on they back you had it easy!:confused::rolleyes:

:hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi: Ha Ha !! I surrender......

I go back to 1954 when Gleadless was partly in Derbyshire. Those of us who went to school at Frecheville juniors took the 11 plus and passed faced one of 3 options. A daily trip to either Dronfield Henry Fanshaw , Eckington Grammar School or William Rhodes Technical School in Chesterfield. Each morning we would congregate outside the Red Lion pub and be bussed to school. Most of us did this for 6 years until 1961. Wind,snow,hail or blow. Good old Grant MacAllin got us there every day on time. Are you a member of the gang or did you join us at Ridgeway, Mosborough orvEckington?

Which school did you go to?

Which school did you go to?

Hartley Brook used to get bus to sheff lane top terminus then walk the rest of the way that was from attercliffe

I travelled to Chaucer school on Halifax road from Penistone road in the late 50s by bus or tram. I had a bus pass because it was over three miles and I had to walk from well up St Phillip`s road to the bus stop. I never lost a day on my last term even though the buses went on strike. A few of us girls would walk it together and sometimes, if we were lucky, we got a lift part way. A teacher sometimes gave me a lift home because he had to go my way. A girl in my class managed to get to school from Gleadless. I remember her being on stage in assembly and we all clapped her. Well done Joan G if you read this.:)

I went to Woodhouse Grammar School mid 1951 to mid 1957 - pupils came by bus, coach and train from places such as Grenoside, Wharncliffe, Parson Cross, Stannington, Catcliffe, Treeton, Brinswoth, Dinnington, Halfway, Woodall, Harthill, Todwick, Kiveton, Kiveton Park, North and South Anston, plus more local areas including Aston and Swallownest

Lot or daily travel for a lot of pupils in those days

Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

1964 -1969

Top of Newman Rd to town No 4 bus

Pond St to bottom Totley Brook Rd No 24 bus

Then 15 minute walk to King Ecgberts Girls Tech

Phew!!!

aged 11 1946, went from Tinsley to town and then on a No. 60 Fulwood to Notre Dame Oakbrook. return journey went through endcliffe park via stepping stones on the stream and catching a tram to Vulcan Road Tinsley.