Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

In the late 50s & early 60s I used to catch the 59 bus at Greenhill village to Sheldon Road & from there the inner circular bus (number 9?) to Brincliffe Grammar School. The buses were often full up in those days, so I was sometimes late.

Question: do kids still travel to school on public buses in UK or is there a separate bus system purely for schoolkids like there is over here? While I was growing up, kids and regular workers competed for space on the same buses. They have special yellow painted buses here just for schoolkids.

...They have special yellow painted buses here just for schoolkids.
Yes - and it's a good idea, especially as when they stop for kids to get on and off, the driver displays the STOP sign and turns on the flashing red lights, so that all the other traffic on the road must also stop. If this system were used over here it would reduce the number of children being knocked down at or near bus stops.

Richmond to Nether Edge Grammar 1950 - 1956.

No 32 from Woodthorpe terminus to the bottom of Granville Road and then inner circle (forget the number), to Nether Edge. I was quite often late in the mornings and learned a lot of new long words in detention.

Mike

If you think these journeys are long - my Dad age 17 caught a tram at Wadsley Bridge just before 4 in the morning - got off in Sheffield caught another tram to Silverwood Colliery and if he was late they sent him home again. That was being a Bevin Boy

A schoolmate of ours lived in the house on top of Wharncliffe Crags. He had to walk [if no lift was available] over two miles to get a bus. He went to school in Highgreen.

Age 7 in '54 - no 92 from the Manor, walk from Pond St to Leopold St then bus to Bents Green.

Parents would be hauled over the coals now, just normal then.

I used to walk 47 miles in bare feet, thru' snow, ice and rain.

Eeeee, lad, tha dunt know tha born.............

Richmond to Nether Edge Grammar 1950 - 1956.

No 32 from Woodthorpe terminus to the bottom of Granville Road and then inner circle (forget the number), to Nether Edge. I was quite often late in the mornings and learned a lot of new long words in detention.

Mike

Hi puffin4,

I went to Nether Edge from 1953 to 1958. I think the cicular was number 9.

Hi puffin4,

I went to Nether Edge from 1953 to 1958. I think the cicular was number 9.

Yes - the No 9 was the "clockwise" Inner Circle (e.g. Granville Road - Nether Edge - Hunter's Bar - Crookes Junction ) and the No 8 went in the opposite direction.

Nimrod were you called Wilson?

hazel

Nimrod were you called Wilson?

hazel

No, but the lad was called Clay, they had a butchery in Mexbro', he went to Highgreen Sec.Mod. 1960 to 1964. :)