Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

I had to travel, from 1965 onwards aged 11, from the top of Staincross Common 4 miles north of Barnsley to De la Salle College and back. I was basically out of the house from 7am to 5-45pm. Had to catch 2 buses, family never had a car. I also had a paper round in the morning to get some pocket money so my day started about 6am. Never thought anything of it at the time and just thought it was normal. My mother thought she was doing the best for mel

...Anyone know the numbers of these buses back then:

* Stradbroke to Pond St

* Pond St to HSGSB via Bents Green...

Hi rogG - the 1954 timetable shows that the Route 93 bus served Stradbroke (it went from Pond Street to Smelter Wood Crescent) and the 28 went from the "City Terminus (Flat Street) to Bents Green (Trap Lane) via Pond Street ... returning to City via Ringinglow Road"..:)

I knew a girl 50 years ago who had to travel from Moscar top to the Girls High School. Daddy's car in the morning and the number 44 Bamford bus in the afternoon.

I was at the Girls'High 1962 -69 & knew lots of girls who travelled in from Derbyshire or,on the other side of the city,from Swinton etc.They had a "late excuse" if the only train meant that they arrived while the rest of us were in assembly.In the winter,the girls who came in from Hathersage etc had the advantage,as they all seemed to have Landrovers ,whilst those of us who lived nearer had to walk if the buses/cars weren't getting through!

From 1958 to 1964 I travelled on one of three of Hadfield's coaches leaving Parson Cross to Woodhouse Grammar every day.

I went to Abbeydale GGS and lived at Gleadless. Got the Circular bus on Ridgeway Road and got off on Carterknowle Road, not sure how far. it took about 35 minutes I think

Aged 11 in 1965, travelled on no.69 from Tinsley to Attercliffe, then no.52 to Woodhouse (St John Fishers). About 1 hrs trip a time. You would not let a child at 11 travel this distance nowadays!

Hi rogG - the 1954 timetable shows that the Route 93 bus served Stradbroke (it went from Pond Street to Smelter Wood Crescent) and the 28 went from the "City Terminus (Flat Street) to Bents Green (Trap Lane) via Pond Street ... returning to City via Ringinglow Road"..:)

thanks, hillsboro

Lodge moor to Tapton,1968-1973.Not too far really but far enough walking through the snow because you'd spent your bus fare in the corner shop in crosspool!!

Arbourthorne Rd to Fulwood Rd at the age of 11 Satchel dragging one shoulder down

" Solly St from age 6

hazel

Edited by hazel

Hillsborough to Firth Park Grammar School.

More often than not I was late and missed the circular bus. A quick run home for my bike and pedalled the four miles.

Sorry. Have I missed the point of this thread, I thought it said "long journeys" to school ? Most contributors seem to regard a few miles as a long journey, eg Hillsborough to Firth Park.

Passed for Ecclesfield Grammar in 1951, until then had hardly travelled further than Hillsbro' from where I lived at Agden. Walked nearly a mile & a half to catch the school bus opposite Low Brad school. This went via Stannington to Ecclesfield picking up kids who lived outside the Sheffield grammar school catchment area on the way.... and then back again in the afternoon. I was the only one going from Bradfield that year, & previously I think kids had had to travel to Penistone Grammar. I was scared of this bus journey at first, the walking didn't bother me I always felt safe walking in the countryside. Later in my teens I'd walk to the village again in the evening at least twice each week to catch the bus to Sheffield & go dancing at the City Hall - but that's another thread & another story!!