Anyone make long journeys to school 1950's/60's

Remember being 11 yrs old and taking 2 bus rides from Ballifield to High Storrs

Remember being 5 and taking a charabanc from Hackenthorpe to Ridgeway because there were no infant school facilites nearer. I initially went to the church school rooms behind the church on the main road through Ridgeway then later in the church hall which fronted on to the main road, no playground at either of these buildings so playtimes/lunches were spent walking around Ridgeway accompanied by staff members.

I had just started at Ridgeway Infants school when they moved us to Beighton again by charabanc.

Remember being 11 yrs old and taking 2 bus rides from Ballifield to High Storrs

I went from Darnall to High Storrs 1960-66.The Moor was a normal road then,with a little roundabout at the bottom which occasionally blocked up completely with traffic,and a lot of us were late for school.No excuses were accepted,we were all booked in as late.

Edited by PCInfield
Spelling

My bus pass was for 82 route only as far as Ecclesall terminus then a walk up Knowle lane and Hoober avenue happy days.

My twin sisters and little bro had a fair old walk to school back in those days.We lived at the bottom of Liversey St. behind Owlerton Stadium for some reason we had to attend Hillfoot County School instead of the Hillsborough schools which were nearer.Being the oldest for a few years I did the journey alone down Clubmill Lane to Hillfoot,back for dinner return to school back for tea,thats four times a day on shanks pony a decent trek by any standards but I thought nothing of it as a young kid,it would kill me now as an old timer Tup!.:confused::help:

I knew a girl 50 years ago who had to travel from Moscar top to the Girls High School. Daddy's car in the morning and the number 44 Bamford bus in the afternoon.

Went from Totley to King Edwards early 60s.

2 buses, 45 from Main Ave to Sheldon Rd then 8/9 Circular to Clarkehouse Rd.

Walked it in the snow and still had to sign in late!

Hillsborough to King Edward's, 1959 to 1966. There were two possible routes, both of which I tried - either the 82 to town and then a 55 or 60 from Leopold Street, or the 82 to Albert Terrace Road and then an Inner Circle to Newbould Lane. Either way it took 45-55 minutes overall; I tended to favour the Inner Circle option. I didn't get a free pass as I lived a couple of hundred yards within the 3-mile (specified as "by the shortest walking route") distance, though (richer) friends who lived a bit higher up the hill (and would have paid exactly the same fare) did. In 1965 I started cycling but didn't like taking my chances with the heavy rush-hour traffic, so this didn't last long.

I left at Xmas '59 so we will have been at the same school for one term only. I think 'Tom' Taylor was my last form master with Nat Clapton as head. Can't remember if Billy Effron had retired or not. He used to get the Bamford bus home as he lived way out. Chap called Harrison ran the gym and the baths but he died quite young I believe. Don't know what year they started letting girls in. Its a long time ago.

Hi MikeG - we would have known many of the same teachers - Arthur Jackson, Edgar Vernon, "Bert" Towers, Victor "Eli" Vout, Edward "Marcus" Watling, Harry "Trotsky" Redston etc. Denys B. Harrison (gym & swimming) was only 47 when he died of a heart attack in September 1967 - see here.

Several of my classmates had longer journeys to school than I had - one came from Brinsworth and another from Killamarsh.

Stradbroke to High Storrs GSB 1954-61.

Question: Anyone know the numbers of these buses back then:

* Stradbroke to Pond St

* Pond St to HSGSB via Bents Green.

Info needed for a piece that I am writing.