We've got one at last!

Woo Hoo!

After 4 years wait, and a few hiccups along the way we have finally got our first allotment- we're positioned on Hagg House site.

We are all very excited. We have visited, and it is a little over grown but has lots of possibilities with apples trees already growing, and the remains of a few beds.

There are lots of nettles growing- so if anyone has any ideas for how to use these I would be very grateful.

Hopefully we will get the confirmation next week, and then the digging will commence.

Hurrah! Let the good life begin.

superb time of year to get one. The soil is nice and soft for digging and you can easily remove the weeds.

Nettles are a good sign of fertility - you can chop them up and put them on your compost heap (make sure you dig out their yellow roots too otherwise they'll grow back), you can put some into a bucket with some water and make home made fertiliser (boy it will stink tho - I did warn you). You can also make nettle soup, pesto, wine & beer - try googling for some recipes :) Just remember to wear good protection - sometimes it's easier to cut them down first and then dig them out, so you don't accidentally sting your face !

You can also get some plants going if you have the time / energy / ready bed. Things I've done this month / last month are:

sow broad beans into pots

sow sweet peas into pots

sow early peas - you will probably need to protect these from mice and pigeons (I've got mine in some drainpipes)

plant garlic - split the head into individual cloves and push them to 1-2 times their depth, with the pointy bit facing up

plant onion sets (small onions) - again push into freshly dug soil so the tips of the onion are level with the soil.

if you can find some leeklets in a garden centre you can also plant these in preparation for next year

Have fun !

Thanks for the advice. I'm still waiting for the paper work to come back from the allotment office but then it is full steam ahead. The littlies are very keen to get involved too- I'm sure this enthusiasm will wane however.

I have googled a few nettle recipes in happy anticipation.

Congratulations :) Leave a small clump of nettles which you can easily maintain, this will attract nasty insects. Which will in turn attack predators that will help you control pests on your veg. Just don't let the nettles flower!