Should kids be taught to speak properly?

In my place of abode, it's treat.

Angel.

It'd have to be 'treated' ... past tense and all that. If you're going to criticise dialect, at least get it right. I'm not even from Yorkshire and I know that. Tret and selt are the past tense of treat and sell, surely?

Just saying ... :)

I don' t have a problem with dialect or accents, what does annoy me is the f or c word every other word.

I was born in Middlesborough.

If you were born there, why can't you spell it?

If you were born there, why can't you spell it?

Perhaps he chose to misspell to draw the poisonous comments offered above.Personally i would elect to come from Tea Side or even Stokctun on Tees,what with both being easier to spell than Middlesbrough.

Only accent I can't understand, is Susan Boyle, she takes to dam fast the interviewers has to pretend they know what she's saying.:huh:

When I moved to Sheffield ten years ago I had trouble understanding some of the slacker jawed yokels born and bred in and around the city.

I soon realised it wasn't their fault they couldn't speak properly, it was their parents' and their schools', assuming the parents and teachers also spoke like simpletons, which they likely did.

I discovered that children from around these parts were making the same indiscernible farmyard animal noises as the adults.

Isn't it about time we grew up and taught our kids to speak properly?

Basic examples

Say "take" instead of "tek"

Say "now then" (or even better - "greetings") instead of "naa theyan"

Say "what are you doing?" instead of "what's tha doin?"

Say "no" instead of "noorrrrrrr"

It's not difficult, yet we raise these poor, lost souls to sound like imbeciles.

So you're saying that local dialects should be stamped out in case someone like you struggles to understand them?

It's gannin that way, I tell thee.

Even the woman reading the automated message when you ring the council tax office has a broad Yorkshire accent. Why don't they just go the whole hog...

"Naaa theyan dick ed, welcome to t'council tax office. To pay thas bill, press wun. For all t'other enquiries, please hoald. Bastad."

If you think the Sheffield accent is bad, then you need an education and pop down to Lower Gornal in the Black Country (Midlands). Try understanding 'anything' they say! Sheffield is the Queens English by comparison.

When I moved to Sheffield ten years ago I had trouble understanding some of the slacker jawed yokels born and bred in and around the city.

I soon realised it wasn't their fault they couldn't speak properly, it was their parents' and their schools', assuming the parents and teachers also spoke like simpletons, which they likely did.

I discovered that children from around these parts were making the same indiscernible farmyard animal noises as the adults.

Isn't it about time we grew up and taught our kids to speak properly?

Basic examples

Say "take" instead of "tek"

Say "now then" (or even better - "greetings") instead of "naa theyan"

Say "what are you doing?" instead of "what's tha doin?"

Say "no" instead of "noorrrrrrr"

It's not difficult, yet we raise these poor, lost souls to sound like imbeciles.

Please remember you are in YORKSHIRE, this is not Richmond in Surrey, you know so gi orr avvin a go.

..."Dialect, Slang, Accent or even language barriers; I have found that none of these have affected peoples advancement through our companies progress and many others."

Not heard of many Sheffield "Dee Dahs" running companies............mashing tea possibly...

No but when one of said "Dee Dahs" is one of the world's most recogniseable actors, plus I think you'll find plenty run companies old bean (pardon the pun)

Accents are opinions, opinions on a sound,

They change both with experience , and when you move around,,

So nice is the familiar, the sounds we make our own,

Perhaps the whole wide world should speak , the way just you were shown,

I see your world , of painted white ,

Where everybody speaks just right,

Remove the mountains,

Fill in sea,

Flatten all dyversity,,

Very strange past watford gap

Breadcakes shapeshift into baps,

One off eight, is not a sum,