Chimney breast removal

crikey let me know when you and your mates are free ,,

Sorry, but not only am I not capable to do anything like that any more (too ill and disabled) but it was so much hard work and so horrible that I'd only be prepared to do it for my own house when I can't afford to pay someone else to do it.

I bought my house when I was 21 and it was right at the top of my budget but it needed loads of things doing. The only alternative to living with a kitchen that was a serious health risk was to do it all myself, from replacing window and door to taking out the chimney breast and fitting the kitchen.

Not only did I fit the kitchen, but it was an ex-display kitchen from when a shop in Rotherham was moving, so I had to hire a van, dismantle it at the other end and shift it all myself too. I got all of the units, hob and oven, sink, plumbing, lighting and the lot to fit a 12' square kitchen for £2000, which meant I could afford it. Needs must etc.

Sorry, but not only am I not capable to do anything like that any more (too ill and disabled) but it was so much hard work and so horrible that I'd only be prepared to do it for my own house when I can't afford to pay someone else to do it.

I bought my house when I was 21 and it was right at the top of my budget but it needed loads of things doing. The only alternative to living with a kitchen that was a serious health risk was to do it all myself, from replacing window and door to taking out the chimney breast and fitting the kitchen.

Not only did I fit the kitchen, but it was an ex-display kitchen from when a shop in Rotherham was moving, so I had to hire a van, dismantle it at the other end and shift it all myself too. I got all of the units, hob and oven, sink, plumbing, lighting and the lot to fit a 12' square kitchen for £2000, which meant I could afford it. Needs must etc.

hi, so sorry,

:D:D

If you are prepared to do the very heavy and very dirty work yourself, and you are confident that you can comply with the building control people's expectations then it won't cost anything like as much as £750, but it's really hard and mucky work.

Including skip and tool hire and the like removing 2 floors of chimney breast only cost me about £300, but I did have half a dozen people who were prepared to help me with shifting debris, clearing up and the like, and my mother who is a dab hand with a Kango. When I had the use of both arms I was also able to do my own plastering (I never trained, but if you can royal ice a cake then you can plaster!).

Another word of warning- it's filthy filthy work and the soot, dust and grit from the work gets absolutely everywhere, even up through floorboards in other rooms. We sealed the door to the rest of the house off in the kitchen when we were doing the really mucky stuff in there and it made no difference at all- it just came up through the floorboards in the bedrooms above.

Well Medusa, I,d like to taste your plastering. Did you use proper marzipan and did you put anyones name on it. I know how to put an Elastoplast on so if you know anybody who wants their tonsils taking out give me a shout.

I am wanting my bedroom chimney breast removing not the whole stack. I know this is a professional job but got a very tight budget to revamp my bedroom and wondered roughly how much it is to have it done? I know it's a big job!

Probably cheaper to go take stack down have a word with neighbour see if they will share cost. Thats if flue is not used gas fires e.t.c.