Record shops in Sheffield Megathread

A few more shops like this (and Chris Beech) and Walkley will develop into a place that outshines even Crookes as the epicentre of all things good ... let's just hope that the 'charidee' shops don't cotton on and debase the place like they have done up here (Crookes). :)

Well bully for you alcobog, not liking 'charidee' shops in YOUR area. PFFFFT ! Not keen on those less fortunate than you benefiting from a bargain that you bought there then ?

On a lighter note, Well done "Tonearm" I for one will be visiting after switching to a retro Naim/Linn Lp12/Linn Index system from my new fangled all in one audio gadget that sounds terrible...

Long live vinyl

Went in today and bought a couple of things.It was quite busy and its also good to see young people buying vinyl as I keep telling my daughter.

How can these things still be going?

Some people still like physical things.

Vinyl is the one part of the music industry thats on the rise, where the rest of it is in decline

they are a physical entity that can be treasured and kept. not like downloads that can disappear from your harddrive in less than the blink of an eye.

i've got 15,000 vinyls in my attic. just wish i'd kept all those US soul discs i bought in the seventies - worth a fortune now.

Still going - they are expanding hugely. Vinyl sales are 5 times what they were 5 years ago. Sheffield now has 8 vinyl record shops again where it once fell to 2. Vinyl will soon overtake CD sales.

It's a premium product. And is being driven by young people again.

"How can these things still be going?"

As Dan_Ashcroft points out, the market is growing once more and I am happy to be amongst those who have reverted to the warmth and magical delight of vinyl.

I am particularly looking forward to the Beatles' albums being re-issued - at long last - in wonderful mono in the autumn.

Sheffield now has 8 vinyl record shops

Can you list these please? I can only think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

Can you list these please? I can only think of 3 or 4 off the top of my head.

I think these must be Record Collector, the Walkley One, one on Charter Square, one on Arundel Street and Rare and Racey. The others I don't know.

There's a musical instrument shop on Cambridge Street with an upstairs that sells vinyl. That might be one.

LP Records

Record Collector

The one mentioned in this thread

Rare n Racy

Vinyl Demand

Record Junkee

Reset Records

Knuf

and Im sure Im missing others.

Bricks and mortar must be in short supply then!

The three little pigs should have built a vinyl house.

There are numerous charity shops which are inundated with vinyl records and I have bought plenty from the likes of Age Concern in Broomhill. I bought around 7 classical albums a few months ago for less than a tenner (just be prepared to accept not all of them are in excellent condition).

Also worth looking at are the antique shops around Abbeydale. You never know what you might stumble upon which to me makes the trawl even more exciting. That stereo version of the Beatles' Please Please Me with the red label, worth £35k might just be hiding there!!