Barack Obama v. Mitt Romney

What I've noticed about you is.......... er! i cant remember, except that you come on here with multiple names amd post the same type of responses every time which more often than not run to simple one line statements.

Today Drone, two weeks ago Lava, before that Scare. I thought that having more than one user name was against Forum rules

I only have one username

It was not my fault I was being booted off was it?

If you remember drone was my original name

I mean do you really think I wanted to be called lava?...or even scare for that matter

To say I only post rubbish, you seem to remember me harley

Edited by Drone

Who do you want to be the next yank president, do you care

Mittens Romney or Backtrack Quobama?

Vote Quobama, he's the lesser of two evils.

Plus he has an attractive wife, that's got to be a factor surely?

Mildred sat a moment and then, seeing that Montag was still in the doorway, clapped her hands. "Let's talk politics, to please Guy!"

"Sounds fine," said Mrs. Bowles. "I voted last election, same as everyone, and I laid it on the line for President Noble. I think he's one of the nicest-looking men who ever became president."

"Oh, but the man they ran against him!"

"He wasn't much, was he? Kind of small and homely and he didn't shave too close or comb his hair very well."

"What possessed the 'Outs' to run him? You just don't go running a little short man like that against a tall man. Besides -he mumbled. Half the time I couldn't hear a word he said. And the words I did hear I didn't understand!"

"Fat, too, and didn't dress to hide it. No wonder the landslide was for Winston Noble. Even their names helped. Compare Winston Noble to Hubert Hoag for ten seconds and you can almost figure the results."

"Damn it!" cried Montag. "What do you know about Hoag and Noble?"

[Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451]

"Out of the nursery into the college and back to the nursery". Oh Ray, you were as good a prophet as you were a writer.

Yes, vote for the photogenic autocue reader and keep wonder why the world carries on turning to s***.

What I have noticed about buck and harley is that they always agree because their bias
What I have noticed about drone is that he goes on and on ad infinitum about nothing in particular and has done so with over 1000 posts since June 2012. Short bites of dross. Come again when you have something to offer, son. But don't hurry, we'll mamage quite well without you, just like we've done for years.:hihi: Edited by buck

Actually, that's not completely accurate. The British Pacific fleet was heavily involved in the closing stages of the Pacific war.

Infact, during the invasion of Okinawa, the British fleet (BPF) was tasked with sole operations in the Sakishima Islands in an air suppression role (in other words to keep the Japanes airforce/IJN aircraft away from the invasion fleet). In carrying out this role, the RN carriers were subjected to sustained and repeated kamikaze attacks (there are a number of pictures of HMS Formidable on fire after one such attack available on the internet). Where the British carriers had an advantage was that their flight decks were armoured, unlike those of the US carriers, and as a result they fared much better in such attacks.

I never wrote what you thiink I wrote. I was quoting what the originator said. I personnally served aboard HMS Indomitable during the fifties. She still had a small dent forward of the Island where she had been struck by a kamikazi which had bounced off into the sea before exploding. I was also in Gibraltar aboard Indom, when her sister ships Indefatigable, and Implacable sailed in. Formidable returned to Portsmouth after the attacks, and was decommissioned. She remained anchored out in the solent, before being broken up. As a result of the kamikazis, all new US carriers had armored steel flight decks fitted. Eventually all carriers from both nations would have angled flight decks, steam catapults, and mirror landing aids, all of which were invented by Britain
Edited by buck

Actually, that's not completely accurate. The British Pacific fleet was heavily involved in the closing stages of the Pacific war.

Infact, during the invasion of Okinawa, the British fleet (BPF) was tasked with sole operations in the Sakishima Islands in an air suppression role (in other words to keep the Japanes airforce/IJN aircraft away from the invasion fleet). In carrying out this role, the RN carriers were subjected to sustained and repeated kamikaze attacks (there are a number of pictures of HMS Formidable on fire after one such attack available on the internet). Where the British carriers had an advantage was that their flight decks were armoured, unlike those of the US carriers, and as a result they fared much better in such attacks.

A very good point. One thing to remember though is that the US Navy lost many of it's prime warships during the attack on Pearl Harbour. Fortunely for them the carriers were all out at sea during the attack otherwise subsequent events would have been very far different.

The US in Roosevelts words became the arsenal of democracy which were fine words but the US military at that early stage was still very much a "hollow force" in many ways. The country found itself having to gear up for a prolonged war against two very powerful nations at very short notice. The Navy had to be built up to a size and with the firepower to take on the Japanese navy in a war across the biggest ocean in the world and it was believed at that time that the Pacific war would last for years even beyond 1945. It was projected that it could well last until late 1846/ early 47 by some experts.

I think that because of the necessity for a high rate of production in a critical time frame that navy ships were built with less armour plating than their British counterparts. There was a tremendous demand for steel for the manufacture of tanks, armoured vehicles, howitzers and transportation vehicles, aluminum for aircraft etc. All this at a time when the US was supplying weaponry to Russia and Britain also.

Some American weaponry could be classified as being manufactured in a state of "quantity over quality' in particular the workhorse of the western allies the Sherman tank. American tank technology had not really kept up with that of Germany or for that matter Russia which arguably had the best all round general purpose tank of the war the T-34. But the Sherman tanks could be knocked off the assembly line in the thousands and could be lost in quantities which the Germans with their superr King Tigers could not sustain in equal numbers..

Back on the subject of battleships I've been on board two of them, the USS Missourri "the mighty Mo" now docked at Pearl Harbour as a floating museum and the USS Iowa which has just been opened to the public as a museum in San Pedro, Caliifornia. Looking at those two behemoths with the firepower they have they were a match for any enemy or allied batlleship in WW2

Edited by Harleyman

The bookies odds for Obama to win seem to have moved in his favour. He is now 4-1 ON to win. Let us hope!

he was more than that last week, 2-9. Romney has also moved, to around 11-4. The polls have definitely moved in Romney's favour, ominously for Obama Ohio in particular where last week he led by over 6 or 7 points, he is now only 2 or 3 up. And the full impact of the debates on the polls won't be felt for another day or two. They do have an effect, the debates.

I only have one username

It was not my fault I was being booted off was it?

If you remember drone was my original name

I mean do you really think I wanted to be called lava?...or even scare for that matter

To say I only post rubbish, you seem to remember me harley

Your posts betray you Drone :hihi: You are the only one who refers to me as "harley" with a small "H". I've noticed that on posts submitted by Lava and Scare.

Never mind eh! But remember "The truth will set you free" :hihi:

Edited by Harleyman

he was more than that last week, 2-9. Romney has also moved, to around 11-4. The polls have definitely moved in Romney's favour, ominously for Obama Ohio in particular where last week he led by over 6 or 7 points, he is now only 2 or 3 up. And the full impact of the debates on the polls won't be felt for another day or two. They do have an effect, the debates.

Duplicate post deleted

Edited by Harleyman

There are still two debates to go so the situation could change again in Obama's favour.

It's the Vice Presidential debate that could be a problem. Biden has a habit of saying things that are taken in the wrong context. Fortunately there will only be one VP debate :hihi:

Especielly when the Labour leader is at the party conference talking about "one nation" in front of a blue background.

what would have been the left wing of the conservative party were pretty much driven out by Thatcher and the few that survived her purges have been driven out by her successors.

tony blair and his chums took labour rightwards and they essentially became the left wing of the conservative party.

is there anything wrong with "one nation" anyway?

I never wrote what you thiink I wrote. I was quoting what the originator said. I personnally served aboard HMS Indomitable during the fifties. She still had a small dent forward of the Island where she had been struck by a kamikazi which had bounced off into the sea before exploding. I was also in Gibraltar aboard Indom, when her sister ships Indefatigable, and Implacable sailed in. Formidable returned to Portsmouth after the attacks, and was decommissioned. She remained anchored out in the solent, before being broken up. As a result of the kamikazis, all new US carriers had armored steel flight decks fitted. Eventually all carriers from both nations would have angled flight decks, steam catapults, and mirror landing aids, all of which were invented by Britain

Far be it from me to disrespect the Senior Service buck. After all most navies in the world did set their gold plate standard by the Royal Navy even down to the basic design of the uniforms and the ratings, officers and non-commissioned officers alike

Edited by Harleyman