Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 12:42, blackhill said:

Just been through all 36 pages of this topic. I went to  Southey Green Secondary Modern  1957 to 1961.  No one who went to my school has mentioned any of the teachers.  Not surprised really.

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 12:42, blackhill said:

Just been through all 36 pages of this topic. I went to  Southey Green Secondary Modern  1957 to 1961.  No one who went to my school has mentioned any of the teachers.  Not surprised really.

I lived at the Wadsley end of Southey Green Road and went to Southey Green School for two years (64-65) before transferring to Chaucer Comprehensive in third year of  secondary school.  I remember a couple of teachers but cant rember names - the domestic science teacher ( Mrs Northfield?) and I think there was Mrs Royals who was our form teacher and taught us how to write neatly. She used to wear bright red nail Polish.  Was Mr Hukin there too?  A friend and I were caned for chewing gum!

Mr Ludbrook  Sharrow Lane.

Gave a few of us the cane - I've no idea what for - mist's of time and all that.

" I'm caning you not for what you've done but for getting caught doing it"

Never caught me again - LOL 

Thank you Sir,

'Once bitten - twice Shy'         - Ian Hunter

On 17/01/2006 at 21:39, fosy said:

Mr O'Conner - top History teacher - St Peters

Mr Silcock - Top Maths Teacher - St Peters (Rest in peace)

Mr Giles

Mr Burton

Mrs Haydock

Mr Kenady

And what about Sr. Concepter:clap:

All St Peters :thumbsup:

I know this is a very old post.

Was Mr Kenady the Physics teacher? He had a slight speech issue, if you were acting up he would call you a "prune" but it came out as "pwune" Really good teacher if it's the bloke I remember.

I remember knocking out Mr Giles's son with a wellington boot (it was an accident)

Many names from a long time ago.

I Remember old man Buxton he had a cane  called little willie A grand chap I remember him well.

In the early days, when coal was hard to come by.My mother sent me down to the canal wharf with our old 

pram to collect our ration of COLITE.Of course it took all morning.So back at School I expected a dose of Little Willie.

Mr Buxton asked me what my father did for a living,I told he was in the steel works.And would you believe it he gave me a key

and a paper with his address up at High Storrs and told me to go to his coal house and fill my pram with coal.SO I DID.

It wasn't until later years when I came out of the Forces and was invited to join the FELLOWSHP OF THER FORCES that

remember the little tiny blue badge that Mr,Buxton had in his jacket lapel.HAPPY DAYS STAY SAFE.

In my own school life Mr Abrahamson at Marlcliffe school....wonderful man, inspiring teacher who left me with a lifelong love of learning. 

More recently Mrs Skates at Beck school and Mr Walkden at Ecclesfield.

On 01/07/2011 at 22:50, kim hill said:

anyone remember mr dowling metalwork teacher at myers grove 70s/80s wonder if hes still around very good silver smith excellent teacher

I remember a Mr Dowling  teaching metalwork at Firth Park School. He used to throw a hard rubber ball at us when he got angry. I left in 1970. Cheers. 

55 minutes ago, gluedtopc said:

I remember a Mr Dowling  teaching metalwork at Firth Park School. He used to throw a hard rubber ball at us when he got angry. I left in 1970. Cheers. 

Poor fellow, he must have known he was on his way to Myers Grove.

I nominate Mr.Crawshaw St.Matthias School Napier Str. 1955

. This has nothing to do with the topic. As stated before I went to Southey Green Sec Mod.  Sat in front of me was a girl ( not giving name). One day sat listening to our boring teacher Mrs Rowley. I had a temptation to undo the bra of the girl sat in front of me, as you could see the clip under her shirt. Anyway the temptation got too great. I leant forward and with a twist of the bra clip the bra undid, the girl screamed out. She told Mrs Rowley why she had screamed. I was hurried up to the Headmaster,  where I received  six strokes of the cane. I can still feel the pain now. So if anyone is ever tempted to do something. Think very very hard of the consequences.