Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

There was a male teacher joined the staff at Carfield in early 1952, he was to be the new science teacher, at the time he was setting up the science lab as an electrical lab, I at that time was banned from classes for disruptive behaviour, ( see my response in, "Wagging of school thread"). I was assigned to help him to set up the lab. He was an example to me and he taught me more in a few short months than I learned in 4 years under the formal teaching ? methods. Regretfully I can't recall his name however suffice to say he inspired me to become an Electrical Enginneer.

I would nominate him as the teacher of the 20th Century.

In your opinion who was the best school teacher?

I nominate John Roe - Carter Lodge School

'Boris' was 'ace':thumbsup:

I have a private message from Tony Revitt but cant bring it up. Smile if you are the same Tony Revitt who lived in the shop on Worksop Road. Frank Kettell who lived in Colwall St. near Banners.

I have a private message from Tony Revitt but cant bring it up. Smile if you are the same Tony Revitt who lived in the shop on Worksop Road. Frank Kettell who lived in Colwall St. near Banners.

Thats me:hihi:

I was thinking about you the other day, after about 50 years or so. must be a sign of my age, getting flashbacks from the past. Attercliffe represents the worst and the best of my childhood and youth. I live in Perth, Western Australia and have been here since 1966. My email address is, frankandmal@bigpond.com.au I would love to hear from you. Frank.

mr marsh at silverdale school. i left about 12 years ago so i'm not sure if he is still there. top bloke though.

C.V Kay at Rowlinson. Excellent Headmaster -firm but very fair. Only wish I'd listened more carefully to his advice.

I remember Mr Chambers and Mr Holt and I agree with you. I always looked forward to their lessons. Mr Chambers was my form teacher for the first two years at Beaver Hill and I remember all the girls cried when we had to have another form teacher.

Mr Harding from Frecheville Comp - i think he started out filling in for English and then went on to teach History, proper trendy cool dude who taught well and made things interesting, he was a nice friendly fella unless you messed about too much or crossed him lol

Also remember

Mr Redhead - Geography

Mr Redman - History

Mrs Gamble - English Lit

Mr Davies _ maths, bumped into him recently

I can`t remember the name of the other maths teacher with the big red nose who`d throw board rubber or the name of the bald headed bloke, tall and thin who used to cane everyone, can anyone else?

Surprised no one's mentioned "Good old" Westfield School, which I currently attend :D

Some teachers some people may remember that still work here:

Mr Kershaw

Mr Thomas

Miss Needham

Mr Lester

Mr Harding from Frecheville Comp - i think he started out filling in for English and then went on to teach History, proper trendy cool dude who taught well and made things interesting, he was a nice friendly fella unless you messed about too much or crossed him lol

Also remember

Mr Redhead - Geography

Mr Redman - History

Mrs Gamble - English Lit

Mr Davies _ maths, bumped into him recently

I can`t remember the name of the other maths teacher with the big red nose who`d throw board rubber or the name of the bald headed bloke, tall and thin who used to cane everyone, can anyone else?

Mr Harding is now the deputy head at Birley Community College

My favourite schoolmaster was Arthur Griffin from High Storrs. he was senior French master and deputy head until the school became Comprehensive.

He used to tan my ass every week without fail as a young first and second year boy but he was responsible for my getting an 'A' in my A levels!