Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Athy you're a star! Your Dad set me on the path to a successful 40 year career in journalism. He was the first person to recognise my talent for English. It's not stretching things to say I just about owe him everything.. Yes he was known as Charlie...Ididn't know his given name. He had a sly sense of humour, singling me out in English Lit one day...."Here's a boy, " he began," who, confronted with an examination that required a 50 per cent pass rate, here's the lad who'd get 51".

In other words I did just enough. I went to a reunion a couple of years ago hoping to meet him and tell him what an influence he had been, so it's sad I can simply pay tribute to his memory. You can be really proud of your GRAND DAD! Sincerely, Robert Tomlinson (once grandly titled Deputy Head Boy and Captain of Tennis!!!!!!

Robert, I have only just returned to this thread and seen your post. Thank you so much for those words. He instilled a love of language into this boy too, as well as a love of cricket. I went on to become a language teacher (now retired) and journalist (still scribbling) but my cricket never really progressed beyond Saloon Bar v. Public Bar and Staff v. School!

What was/is your branch of journalism?

Mick (Mr) Flemming , 5MF Earl Marshall Comp .

No doubts.

I remember Mr. Beynon, met him several times when I went into WGS with my Dad (often when Dad was taking play rehearsals). Harry was smallish as I recall, and yes, I remember the trademark tweed jackets. he was always pleasant to this little boy, as was a larger man called Mr. Barker, who for some reason was called "Bink" by everybody. As for Pinion, my Dad did not seem to have much to do with him, though I remember him grumbling about him at home.

Perhaps my dad taught you too? He was John Atherton, known as Jack (although I think the pupils called him Charlie behind his back) and was Head Of English. He left WGS in 1962 to take a deputy headship at Coalville Grammar School, then became a headmaster in Burton on Trent. He passed away in 2004 aged 86.

Very interesting seeing these notes of memories of WGS. I did not attend that school, having failed to pass my 11-plus, but I still managed to become a reasonably successful journalist on the local Sheffield (Morning) Telegraph (though I didn't get in until I was in my twenties!). My Telegraph colleagues Peter Harvey and Stuart Machin were both ex-WGS boys.

Thanks for the interest. Amazing how important you remember these people to be, when at the time you never realised what were to be the fruits of their expertise. Be hand to know you monica, as maybe I might remember you. My last year at Woodhouse was 1961/62 (I think) when I was Deputy Head Boy (Bob Hawkes was top man) and Captain of Tennis for my sins. I hated WGS for the first four years, and recall Harry Beynon howling at me in front of a class and waving my homework notebook which was virtually empty.I even forged my mum's signature on the green forms you had to take home if you were a lousy scholar, and got six of Frank Pinion's best cane strokes for my troubles. But Charlie Atherton wrote a complimentary comment in my report the next term, and I saw the light, ending up with enough As and Os to get me into Leeds Uni. I had to leave early when my dad's firm went bust and he went to jail. Got a job on the South Yorkshire Times, staying for 20 years to become Editor.I'm 74 now and have begun writing my memoirs which will make interesting reading if published. Title to date is SWEET DEBRIS...The Lives I left Behind.Look forward to your reply. I'm in Nelson, Lancs, but my 24 year old daughter is due to emigrate to Los Angeles, where we shall all meet for her wedding in the autumn (Donald Trump allowing).:help::huh::loopy:

You left WGS at the same time as my Dad, then - in 1962 he got a deputy head's post at a grammar school in Leicestershire and we moved to the environs of exotically-named Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Last word on the matter of Harry Beynon howling at me. Well after three years in the Sixth form we,got to know each other better so when I went for my job with the SYT he gave me a great reference. I still have that note.He we have made a great Head...far better than that opinionated snob Pinion. One friend,when told of his demise remarked,"Something serious I hope".

o

I don't think Dad thought too much of Mr. Pinion either. He did get on well with quite a few of the staff, some of whom came to visit us from time to time. I remember Harry Beynon, Bink Barker, Jessie Baston, two Macs (Wynn and Rotherham), Jim Cooper, a bloke who later became mayor, bit of a leftie - Peter somebody? - Miss Mallender...there was also a former pupil who sometimes baby-sat me when I was very small, Margaret Cutts who became Mrs. Collins. She worked at Sheffield Central Library for some years.

Dad moved on to the deputy headship at Coalville Grammar School, where he also didn't think much of the head, a bloke whom I remember only as "The Inscrutable Welshman". he finally solved the problem by becoming a headmaster himself, at Dovecliff Grammar School in Burton-on-Trent, where I suppose it was his staff's turn to think not much of him!

miss carr

carbrook Attercliffe in mid sixties

excellent head teacher

kind, compassionate whilst firm and treated everyone equally

On 14/01/2006 at 15:17, Ousetunes said:

For me there is only one candidate.

Step forward Mrs Cooper who taught my class M4C at Nethergreen Middle School between 1980-1981.

She made school more enjoyable than I had ever known, before and after. She also pushed me to get into the top class at King Edward VII (from where I slunk back to 'middle of the road', but hey ho).

Even the class idiots seemed to take an interest in their school work under Mrs Cooper.

I salute thee.:thumbsup:

I remember her well. She drove a yellow Reliant Robin. I was next door in M4G, with Mrs Guest. 

Just been through all 36 pages of this topic. I went to  Southey Green Secondary Modern  1957 to 1961.  No one who went to my school has mentioned any of the teachers.  Not surprised really.

Whitby road infants 

Miss Mustell

whitby road juniors 

Mr Garner

Mr Saxon headteacher

Hartley Brook High

Mr W Webster 

Mr HDW Mathews

Firth Park Comp  Brushes

The legendary TFJ (Spike)

Mrs Carr ruled with a rod of iron

Mr W Webster ( firm but fair)