Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

Mrs Ashton - my class teacher at Burngreave was Dave Tucker (now a big noise in the NUT) and I was the pupil from Hell until he went off for an operation and Mrs Ashton came in and I was an absolute angel by the time Mr Tucker came back. She even got me the job of going round every Friday for the four years I was there, and tapping all the teachers up for their coffee money, to give me some sense of responsibility. Mr Tucker was gobsmacked, and that's no exaggeration as he used to make me bend over and touch my toes just like the boys! I ran into her years later when I was in a swimming club and she was there with her daughters. My other fave would be Mr McKay, while we were all scared of Mr Galbraith (now head at Hucklow) who kept a slipper on a hook at the front of his class and we all hated Mrs Clements who was the other 1st year teacher when I was the child from Hell and when I got to the fourth year and was in her class, she never let me live it down and I went backwards briefly. She also read us Adrian Mole but would never read the rude bits about Pandora's chest LOL!

At Hinde House it would have to be Miss Aitken in English; unfortunately she was seconded for a year and we had Mrs Robshaw and I still say she destroyed my chances of an A in my GCSE English.

One of my classmates had a HUGE crush on Mr Thompson in Geography and all the girls loved Mr Joy who apparently fetched up later at High Storrs, as did old Mr Wood with the glass eye (as opposed to young Mr Wood who took PE) and both taught one of my colleagues!

Is the John Rawson previously mentioned the same John Rawson who was the Head of Hinde House Lower School while I was there? Graham Elliott was a fantastic Head, btw.

I don't know about best etacher, but I can nominate a few for worst. Jed Pearson at St Pete's anyone?

Jack Todhunter (Mr T/Sir) who was my English teacher from year 9 (Year 3 high school) through six form. He taught me at Aston Comprehensive school where he nearly got the sack for the Infamous Mrs Throggs' yearbook thanks to Gestapo Lowe. I don't know anyone who didn't like him. We knew how far we could push him and what would make him laugh.

Every lesson he'd show us something that wasn't necessarily to do with set texts or anything he'd been asked to teach. If he read an article in the paper and found it interesting, he'd have photocopied it by 9' oclock and brought it in, just because he could. He treated you as an individual and sought to inspire each and every one of us by whatever we were interested in - even if he wasn't. He fuelled my love of etymology and never dumbed down the power of contemporary writing against the classics.

I'll never forget him spending a good twenty minutes driving one lad mental by telling him he could "lend a pen to anyone he wanted" "yeah but Sir I NEED to lend a pen" "well lend it him" "yeah but sir I need to lend a pen."

Full of respect for him and every day I aim to inspire the children I teach as much as he inspired me. He even gave me pep talks as an adult when i started working in education. He still teaches at Newman school in Rotherham and is involved in many a little project on the side with the author Steve Alton.

I don't know about best etacher, but I can nominate a few for worst. Jed Pearson at St Pete's anyone?

I remember him, Boys PE and Geography wasn't he.

Us poor girls had to put up with Miss Reak for games and English, anyone remember her

De La Salle, Scott Road.

Hugh Finnegan (Music) - who moved on to All Saints when DLS got flattened!

Tom Boulding (English) - now landlord of Fagan's on Broad Lane.

Maurice "Jack" Justice (Geography)

Brother Wilfrid (Maths)

From Myers Grove late 70s to early 80s

Mr Wolstenholme - Physics

Sue Hollister - Home Economics (Cookery)

Mick Giles - Maths

Mr Johnson - French

I went to Hinde House from 1997 to 2002 and I really cant think of any best teacher. Well apart from Mr Jameson (PE), Mr Rawson(DH) and Mrs Robson(DH) they helped sort myself out and get through my GCSE's.

Cant say much for Sarah Draper how I wish Mr Elliot had stayed.

New to this, I think it was cycle racer who quoted Mr Osborne, ( Rick ) from Hinde House. Top english teacher and bloke. Right about the outdoor man. He found out I went caving in one of my essays and invited himself and Mr Goldstraw, ( girls do not go weak at the knees ) along. When he moved from his flat to a shared house with his family, myself and another pupil who also was in the same caving club helped him decorate. I remember his mini van, roll ups, shortness in stature and hairy face. Would love to see him again.

This was around 1969. I only attended for a year, left at fifteen to earn some dosh to pay for the caving hobby. Did I mention the Odin Caving Club, anybody out there a former member.

Mrs Wadsworth was a great head teacher at Pipworth Junior school and Miss Wood our class teacher was a brilliant drama teacher. She was lovely and good fun.

Waltheof i liked Mr Booth who taught Biology and Mr Wilson who taught English.

It,s got to be Miss Stead, Limpsfield Middle School, she was a star!!!

no i think its got to be mr crowe from chaucer comp i was there inbetween 1976-1982 he was very nice

IMO the best..

Ross Crowe....

Tony Boreham....Science

Mrs. Sellars....Drama

Eddie? Fogg....Humanities/Geology

Dave Seal....English

Anne Radford...German

Phil Crane....Maths .....all Chaucer in the nineties.

And nominees IMO for the worst teacher/s....

Graham Wells...Science at Chaucer

Bill? Raine?..(Is insane)...Music...Chaucer

Gerry Richardson...PE...Chaucer

Mr.Sharples...Woodwork...Chaucer

Dave Croll....Maths....Parson Cross College

Pete Kennedy....Biology..Parson Cross College