Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

I went to Burngreave sec mod. but I cannot remember any of the warders names.

i left westfield in 1993.

i can remember mr lester,mr kershaw etc.

who else is there?

mr oliver woodwork teacher ryecroft glen school top top bloke

david dunlop upperthorpe head teacher

didnt he end up in court for some alledged offences ???

I went to Aston Comprehensive 1983-1988. And my favourite teacher was Mr Armstrong, my 4 & 5th Year Tutor (year 10 & 11), who when offered my explanation of why I wagged all my classes (I didn't like any of my teachers, and wanted moving to the lower sets with my friends (read: in order to slack off and mess around)) offered the following solution - OK, do all your work in my office - on the strict proviso that I did all my lessons from there. So every morning he would collect me from tutorial and deposit me with the days lessons to complete in his office. I rather cleverly (I thought) used to get my head down and do all the work in the first couple of hours and skive off for the rest of the day. Unbeknown to me Mr Armstrong of course knew this and was happy to let me think I was 'getting away with it' Thanks to him I left school with 7 GCSE's and am now a teacher myself.

C.V Kay at Rowlinson. Excellent Headmaster -firm but very fair. Only wish I'd listened more carefully to his advice.

I remember Mr Kay fantastic bloke, don't think I ever heard him raise his voice but he never needed to, I have good memories of Rowlinson especially art with Mr Howard, that dude would get sacked so fast nowadays, remember a story about how he asked all the kids in his class to stand behind him because he wanted to test his new Bow and arrows out, the arrow went straight through the back of a chair and this was in the art class room (I kid you not and that is 100% true).

He used to disappear into the stock room for a fag as well hah, but he was the best teacher I ever had (probably cos I was god at art and he appreciated that).

The best school teachers I had where:

Charnock Hall Middle School - Mr Hays (Music Teacher), Miss Turner (Arts Teacher)

Birley Comp - Mr Lord (Maths)

All these people have had an impact on my life, but I guess all good teachers do.

awww i'm so proud! on the very first page of this thread, my granny is mentioned....she was Mrs Simpson and she worked at Manor lodge School. Retired 12 years ago...anyone remember her??

and best teachers

Totley Primary School

Mrs Russell..who sadly died :'(

and the rest tended to send me to the head every day so grr at them...

and, King Ecgberts School has loads of brilliant teachers although i won't list seen as though i know some/lots of them are reading my posts...

so yesh,

although, i will just mention, Mrs Dignall, WE MISS YOU!!! amazing teacher! great personality :D

well, here goes for nothing off the top of my head:

Arbourthorne infants/Juniors, c. 1966-72:

Mrs. Cork

Miss Fellows

Mrs. Thompson

Ashleigh Comp, 1972-79

Mr. Brown, English, Drama - always supportive and engaging. went to run the school "holiday" home nr filey i think.

Mrs. Kitchen for her brilliant maths teaching

Mr. Surr (biology) for not having me caned for missing all that homework

Mr. Lee, History and first bloke to put me in a school footy team

Madame Brunel, French, we were in love with her, but I think I learnt more with Mrs. Robins!

Mr. Lambert, German and Form Techer, top guy, and easy to distract by asking about germans/germany!

Mr O'Connor Notre Dame School was the best for me along with Mr McInerney R.I.P.

Mr O'Connor was officially voted 2nd best in Sheffield. In about 1992/93 there was a Hallam FM competion for best teacher in Sheffield the winner got Computer equipment for their school plus a visit from a newly formed band called "Take That" 2nd place just got a visit from Take That!! Who would have thought looking back they would have got so big. On the day they came to the School we could barely fill the Sports Hall to watch them mime to a couple of songs!!

Anyone remember who got first prize?

'Pop' Shooter - deputy head at Silverdale in the 70's. Knew every kid in the school by their first name. Bought every ex-pupil who was in 'The Hammer and Pincers' a drink at Xmas. Fantastic.

No one has yet mentioned Gleadless County primary School - at least I didn't see them do so. I'm new around here and just finding my way around. My class teacher for my last two years at Gleadless was Mr. Iossen (perhaps spelt that way, perhaps not), who mixed expert teaching, strict but fair classroom control, and reminiscences of fighting the Japs in WWII in roughly equal measures.

Wadsleyite, I must have been in the year below you at King Ted's, but I can't remember any particularly favourite teachers. My form master in my first year was Mr. V.A. Vout, nicknamed Eli, a bit of a dry stick who taught R.E. I seem to recall a young Latin teacher who was quite well liked; Prescott?

Was anyone here taught English by my late father, John "Charlie" Atherton, at Woodhouse Grammar? He went on to be a deputy head in Leicestershire, a Headmaster in Burton on Trent, and enjoyed a long retirement, mainly gardening and watching cricket, until his death in 2004 at the age of 86.