Who was the best school teacher in Sheffield?

My favourite teachers were at my junior school (Abbeydale Middle), the frst is Mr. Lickorish, he was a great teacher who demanded respect from us all, he had his 'slaves' (usually the pupils he trusted to behave) i did the tuck shop duty!, they would do odd jobs like fetching the register, going to the tuck shop for him etc. but anyone caught misbehaving would get 'THE SLIPPER', (one of his old trainers which looked about a size 14 back then!) across the backside, boy did that make us all behave! :P

The second was Mr. Potts, what a great teacher he was, much the same as old licko stick lol, but if we did anything wrong we knew about it, he would turn on the old Pottsy stare where his eyes almost popped out their sockets, he would do this for until you were reduced to tears, it would turn the toughest kids into quivering wrecks, luckily i was a good girl ;)

Was Mr Potts' name Richard? If it was then I knew him.

i work as a cleaner at myers grove school mr giles and mrs hollister are still there if you remember anymore myers grove school teachers i will let u know wether they are still there

The question of the best school teacher in sheffield depends on many things, is it feeling comfortable and having an easy time, or what we have learnt and carry with us in later years.

Me personally have been with what would be classed today as the most strict teachers and discapline was delt on a daily baisis, you either did what you were told or else. The line was there and cross it at your risk.

This might sound harsh, but from the age of 10 all the subjects, History,Geography, science Maths with the exception of English I can recall today. I was educated at a secondary modern, Carter Lodge, Wisewood then Central Technical School, from there to Granville Collage all in the 60's and early 70's.

So my nominations for the Best School Teacher's in Sheffield are the ones that taught me and even today I remember the content

Mrs Box Rainbow Forge School

Mr Taylor Rainbow Forge School

Mr Fletcher Maths Carter Lodge Secondry School

Mr Haydock Wisewood Secondary School

Pop Greogry Chemistry Central Technical School

Mr Groake Phisics Central Technical School

Mr Woolhouse Eng. Dwg Central Technical School

Mr Bains Metalwork Central Technical School

With thease teachers you were taught in a fun way and a way you understood, we had text books not photocopies,we didn't have calculators only margins to do our working out

It definitely has to be Sean Howes from Meadowhead School in the 90s. Funny, good looking, cheeky yet everyone listened to him and got on with their work, I passed my English GCSE thanks to him!!! He was fantastic!:thumbsup:

Did you fancy owd seanie? he's working out in stavely now,

I have my school reunion in 2 weeks, cant wait :thumbsup:

i have read though all the replies and no-one has mentioned old hurlfield school teachers there was eric hartley (re) brian standing (tech. drawing ) mr. evens (art) mr. sergent (metal work) mr bromby (pe, deceased) these are five teachers that i really looked up too in the time i was at hurlfield 64/69

Did you fancy owd seanie? he's working out in stavely now,

I have my school reunion in 2 weeks, cant wait :thumbsup:

Me? Fancy Howesy? Erm....................................................YES lol. Staveley eh? Not too far from me then lol Might have t look him up!:D

There's one thing for sure - the names Ralph Brooke, Nellie Riches and Edna Taylor (Russell) will never grace these pages. Never met more nasty sadistic people, especially Brooke. At the same school were Mrs Valerie Burgin (nee Goldthorpe), Miss Dolly Wright, Mr Charlie Cooper and Mr John Senior. These four people were brilliant, they made lessons a pleasure.

Edited by Nigel Womersle

I'm surprised that a "small" secondary school such as Waltheof has attracted so many replies to this thread, I remember most of teachers mentioned...

Class of '79.

I particularly remember Mr Robert Goodrum (metalwork) cannot say its fond memories :( I bet he was a fine teacher, but from the very first lesson of his I was in he took the *iss out of me.

Anyone remember him reading out the lunch menu at the annex?

Hey there!

I was also class of '79 :)

I remember Mr. Goodrum very well. He liked to tease A LOT! :|

He also ran the Duke of Edinburgh Scheme, and was a lot of fun at times.

:)

My nominations from the little mentioned and now defunct Concord Middle School would be:

Mr Kemp - for those excellent lunchtime film shows.

Mr Firth - for being Canadian and letting us listen to Neil Diamond in class.

Miss Kirk - for being cute and causing stirrings in an innocent 10 year old boy - me!

Miss Gwynne - For putting me in the rounders team.

:P

mrs wood but she left chaucer last year and mr lemm form southey green he was a brill ict teacher

Me? Fancy Howesy? Erm....................................................YES lol. Staveley eh? Not too far from me then lol Might have t look him up!:D

Ha ha I have his email address im still in contact with him!! :hihi:

Ha ha I have his email address im still in contact with him!! :hihi:

Send me his addy then lmao:D Or even better ask him if he remembers Kylie aka gob on legs and see what he says lmao