Trusted tradespersons

There are several organisation out there (such as traded persons, find a trade etc) where customers can get tradesmen to quote for jobs. Are there any tradesmen on here who use these organisations? and if so what are they like and are they worth joining?

We have tried a few in the past... Rated People, My Hammer, My Workman.

Obviously they all work slightly differently and it is a few years since we last advertised or listed ourselves through any of them, but we found that the cost per enquiry and conversion was not working in our favour.

We actually get far more enquiries and leads through Sheffield Forum and they are Free. We have had great recommendations through SF member and found it to be of far more value than paid for activity through other sites.

We also found it can be quite laborious and time consuming dealing with all the different sites and that it was counterproductive to a working day.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do...

I looked at a couple of them but you have to pay for leads that will probably come to nothing so my advice (for what its worth) is stay clear.

I looked at a couple of them but you have to pay for leads that will probably come to nothing so my advice (for what its worth) is stay clear.

some charge £15 per lead Which I think is wrong they then imply you are trusted etc etc, trusted just means well there mug enough to pay us for the lead.

I was on My Hammer and Rated People. Rated People charge a percentage of what the customer thinks the jobs worth, as if they think a wall papered is worth £50 the fee is around 10% but the higher they think the higher percentage you pay. My Hammer is like a reverse e-bay where the tradesman bids against others. In all fairness its a scam.

IIRC there were no checks when I enquired, I could have been anyone touting for work and they were looking for £20 per lead.

So lets say I got one lead per week day over a month, thats £400 for naff all!!!!!

MEGA RIP OFF.

Tried a few in the early days, total waste of time and money. By far the best is SF. It will take time to build your business and customer base, but thats life i'm afraid.

I feel the same as Sam. Rated people costs a fortune and the chances are someone will come back with ridiculously low quote that is'nt even viable. SF does take time but I have completed alot of work from jobs posted on here. thanks everyone!

The building trade is awash with companies, organizations and even legislative bodies that are designed to relieve the tradesman of as much of his/her hard earned money as possible.

Getting yourself established can be a lengthy and costly business, but if your work is up to scratch, 'word of mouth' is the best advertising you can get.