Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

Hi, I am Mick Holmes and I lived at 45 Ballifield Crescent between 1951 and 1954. It's 63 years since I left, but I have very fond memories of my time there. People who I particularly remember are John O'Halloran, John Colley who was a 'rum lad', so obviously he joined the Police, Ann Briggs, John Bingham, Malcolm Verity, Ken Smith who lived round the corner on Handsworth Grange Road and last, but not least, Tony Kirk, who is my cousin and lived at no. 29. Tony and Carole, recently mentioned in another posting are still fit and well, living in Handsworth.

Hi, I am Mick Holmes and I lived at 45 Ballifield Crescent between 1951 and 1954. It's 63 years since I left, but I have very fond memories of my time there. People who I particularly remember are John O'Halloran, John Colley who was amate with Vets and John O'H ladCanyon remember Erica Alan Davis?obviously he joined the Police, Ann Briggs, John Bingham, Malcolm Verity, Ken Smith who lived round the corner on Handsworth Grange Road and last, but not least, Tony Kirk, who is my cousin and lived at no. 29. Tony and Carole, recently mentioned in another posting are still fit and well, living in Handsworth.

Hi Mick, I am Pete Fisher, lived at No 30. We were opposite the O'Hs. You must have lived in the Tunnards house. Sorry I dont remember your name. We moved in in 1950 and I lived there up to getting married in 1971. I remember all the names except Ken. Was big mates with Vets and John O'HS. Can you remember Eric and Alan Davis? They lived at 49. Their dad built a TV from an oscilloscope tube. All the kids used to pile into there room to watch Ivanhoe etc.

Fish 1948: Yes, I do remember the Davis family. I watched the 1953 Cup Final there - Blackpool 4 - 3 Bolton. Mr Davis was a radar technician in WW2 and built the TV himself - it had a 9 inch circular green screen and all the valves and wires were exposed at the back. Particular memories I do have is myself and cousin, Tony, having a 'stone fight' with the two John's one Saturday morning, when we lobbed half bricks at each other. Also, I recollect that we had a slide on the icy road and a snowplough came down the street and I lobbed a snowball at the driver, which hit him. The driver collared me and said a cop would come round to my house that night - I was ****ting myself, but nobody came. PS: I later became a cop in Notts.

Fish 1948: Yes, I do remember the Davis family. I watched the 1953 Cup Final there - Blackpool 4 - 3 Bolton. Mr Davis was a radar technician in WW2 and built the TV himself - it had a 9 inch circular green screen and all the valves and wires were exposed at the back. Particular memories I do have is myself and cousin, Tony, having a 'stone fight' with the two John's one Saturday morning, when we lobbed half bricks at each other. Also, I recollect that we had a slide on the icy road and a snowplough came down the street and I lobbed a snowball at the driver, which hit him. The driver collared me and said a cop would come round to my house that night - I was ****ting myself, but nobody came. PS: I later became a cop in Notts.

I was best mates with Eric until they moved away about 1958. John O'H lives at Harthill near Worksop. Did u go to the bonfires on their back garden? They had one every year after the garages were built behind our house.

Ann Briggs had to get married and my sex education from my Mum consisted of dont you do anything like Anne did!! Very helpful. John went to Canada about 1968 and he is still there. He is on the did you play for Club 62 thread as JoeBloggs247.Club 62 were the best under8 side in Sheffield in the early 60s. Pete Carr is there as Slotter.

Got I feeling you may know my half brothers George David Dennis shutt they played for various teams in handsworth you sound about there age George has now left us

Pete 1948: I think the reason we didn't know each is because I was born in 1943 and, from your handle, I guess you are five years younger. I do remember the bonfires, as about 65 years ago I burnt my finger on a firework - a 'fire barrel' - I've never forgotten the pain and have hated fireworks ever since. Another memory is about the residents of no. 43, the Marsden family, and the dad had a Jowett Javelin, which was fairly unique as hardly anybody could afford a car in those days. Their son, David, was a nice lad, but because of his surname used to be taunted with the phrase, ' Masarella, mars-bar monkey!'

Just returned from Xmas drinks in Crown been going in from 16 moved onto Ballifield 1968 from prefabs behind Anglers

Names current and past

Gifford ,Simpsos,Wrights,Farrand,pie eater Thorley,Mollins,Mick Eadon

Evo 7 nights a week

Sunday ,play football back to bottom club watch Miss X/ Whiplash down to Evo game of life with 20 others back to mums for dinner , game of footy on Beaver Hill field back in Evo 730

Played for Evo,(Dickie Lee) then Swallownest Miners Retford Town & Mill FC

Slotter went to same school still drink with his mates Colin Twigg & Pop

Happy days

Will post further names when the grey matter responds

You might know my dad little Al

Is it Danny Webb if so you know me kim

I remember slotter Carr.... always making us laugh.

Club62 used to get changed in the pub opposite the field on the left just before furnace lane.

Joe was the manager. Jimmy hinch went to USA to start a football practice

In Bel-air I think.

Good memories of Club 62,still in touch with Malc Verity,Neil Shepherd,Mick Wright and John Bingham who lives in Canada,changed in Woodhouse Mill WMC,no showers in those days,took the mud home with us.

Petes name 'slotter' was coined when we also played for Handsworth white

Rose,,,,,,, nothing to do with the pub.

When Pete scored a goal, he slotted it in..... hence his handle 'Slotter'

In the middle of one game he trapped the ball with his backside and instead

Of playing on he turned to the team and said 'did you see that' and walked

Away from the ball pointing at it in the middle of a match!!

Always up for a laugh was Pete.

Never forget the first time I met Pete, we were 16.... he came out in a bowler

Hat. A very nice bloke.

Hi thecliffe,happy memories of those games we had against St Josephs and Stradbroke which were supposedly "friendlies",what name do I know you by?