Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

The very same,Pete Carr,still in Sheffield 13,lost track of gilly but still see jeff mason on regular basis,who is it asking?

LARRYANN....you say you lived on Handsworth Grange Crescent from 1960 - 1975. Well, I lived on the same road, No. 18, (4 doors up from the Gifford's)from 1952 to 1967. WHO ARE YOU and where exactly did you live? Were you in the newer houses on that road? I'm trying to think who you could be. There was a family of Hobson's, then further up Glews, then Cox's, then Simpson's then John Liversidge and Howarths near the top. Can't think of any other kids on the street.

I lived at number 12. My name is Madelaine Turton and I have a brother John. He still lives on Ballifield and goes in the Everest.

My cousins Stuart & Trevor Spyve grew up on Handsworth Grange Crescent next door up from the Hobsons. I think it was 2 doors down from the Simpsons.

Harry Lister & his Beautiful younger Sister lived near the top of the road. Paul Green lived just down from Ballifield Rise.

My cousins Stuart & Trevor Spyve grew up on Handsworth Grange Crescent next door up from the Hobsons. I think it was 2 doors down from the Simpsons.

Harry Lister & his Beautiful younger Sister lived near the top of the road. Paul Green lived just down from Ballifield Rise.

Didn't the Spyves live below the Hobsons? Mrs Green still live son the corner of Ballifield rise.

We moved to Ballifield Avenue in about 1951. We were some of the first people there and they were still building it. As kids we used to play in the footings of the houses being built opposite. Haven't been back for years but still remember some names. Stuart Bray is a familiar one, and Gillian Robertson, Margaret Senior. I lived there until I married in 1969 and my mother was there until she got a flat in Greenhill, Sheffield in about 1975.

This post gone quiet for a while,in response to stpetre as I see you are in the usa I wonder if it is dave manterfield who I remember having an inter milan shirt long before it became fashionable.

Hi Slotter, Joebloggs247 was right about your nickname. I recognise a lot of the names mentioned. I came across Dave (Fess)Parker via business years later and randomly on a flight home from Tenerife a few years ago.

Came across the forum trying to find Pam and Stella Roddis to let them and their mum know my little sis Susan had died as they were family friends. As far as I know they never married to answer Bill Bingham's query. Also remember Phil "Yarg" Gray a mate of Trev Spyvey and Tony "Krik" Kirk who married Carol the odest of the 4 Shepherd girls.

Believe Shep is stili in Anston

I am still in Sheffield but at the other end of town.

Vernon (pop) Howard is a friend of ours and still lives very locally. johnparker yes it is one of those houses that Sean lived in.

Yes saw pop with niki platts in h.s.c thursday night. :hihi::hihi:

Just returned from Xmas drinks in Crown been going in from 16 moved onto Ballifield 1968 from prefabs behind Anglers

Names current and past

Gifford ,Simpsos,Wrights,Farrand,pie eater Thorley,Mollins,Mick Eadon

Evo 7 nights a week

Sunday ,play football back to bottom club watch Miss X/ Whiplash down to Evo game of life with 20 others back to mums for dinner , game of footy on Beaver Hill field back in Evo 730

Played for Evo,(Dickie Lee) then Swallownest Miners Retford Town & Mill FC

Slotter went to same school still drink with his mates Colin Twigg & Pop

Happy days

Will post further names when the grey matter responds

Anyone recall Harry Lister an his sister, Christine (?) and Dave Broadhead and his sister, Lynn (?) May have got the girl's names wrong.

Anyone recall Harry Lister an his sister, Christine (?) and Dave Broadhead and his sister, Lynn (?) May have got the girl's names wrong.

Lived at top of Ballifield Road? Here name was Linda. Remember Harry as he went to live on Manor near my Aunty ; or vice versa not sure which.

So what are you called really?

Hello Slotter 47 and Little Tug,

Have been talking to our David (Pixie) today and names came up like David Hewitt and Mick Brookes. I think Mick Brookes lived near Stuart Bray. With the colour and style of his hair, my mother used to call him (Mick Brookes) "Tommy Steele". David Hewitt, our David's era, used to live at the very top of the estate.

Other names, I've thought of: Malcolm & Colin Toothill, Richard Knowles, Bob Mannifield (lived near you), Roger Timmins, David Newbould, John & Peter? Gulson, Keith Simmons, Ian Simmons, Ian Gifford and his brothers Geoff & Bob, Mick Hundy, two brothers called Marsh who lived on my road Handsworth Grange Cres, I think one was called Christopher. WHO ELSE WAS THERE? Mick Eadon lived in a house opposite the shops but I believe somebody else did, nearer both your age's. Of course Little Tug had a younger brother Steven who joined the RAF but I've a feeling he now lives down south somewhere. Norfolk/Suffolk?

I left the estate in 1967 when my parents - to my horror - bought a house at Beauchief. So I left a long time ago aged 15yrs but have many happy memories of Ballifield.

Incidentally, our David knows something of this "Slotter" handle of yours. Apparently he was talking with someone about you a few weeks ago and seemingly it was mentioned then. Our David's gonna do some checking and get back to me, SO ...my enquiries are continuing into this matter.

Our David says you used to drink on a Friday night in the Old? Crown on a Friday night with, he thinks, Stuart Bray. Is that the pub on the Ballifield side of the Cross Keys. Perhaps, that might better serve for a re-union?

Don't know if you knew our David as called Pixie, but that was his nickname at school (Woodhouse Grammar). I said that would a good handle for him if wqanted to join the Sheffield Forum. He said, "Well if anybody starts calling me it, I shall know where it's come from".....NOT BOTHERED, he don't scare me anymore!

Johnparker, I have just been introduced to this group today. I've read through most of the entries and I'm still in touch with a couple of the names on your list. Bob Manifield I see a few times a year as he alternates his time between Tenerife and his old home on the Crescent. You are right, it was John and Peter Gulson. Pete has lived in South Africa since the 80s, and John is living in Norfolk (I think, as I've touch with him). I had a driv around Handsworth a few weeks ago and visited the old Community centre, but I forgot to check out the Youth Club. Does anyone remember Ted Jenkins who ran it for some time? I used to spend a lot of time there. Unfortunately he passed away in 2015, but he was well remembered by folks from around Parson Cross.

I remember Ian Gifford who,is mentioned on here and David Carter, but his younger brother Stephen was a friend. We lost touch, the last time I saw him was at Stan Shillito's funeral. I was upset when I heard he had died but couldn't get to his funeral because of work.

Pinksarah889, I remember your mum, she was one of the girls who went in the Everest and nicknamed me 'Follyfoot', ask her if she remembers who I am. The mates I knocked about with from Ballifield were Alan Shillito (his sister, Andrea), Pete Gulson, Martin Smith, Steven Poulton, Gary Hart, but knew others like Graham 'Syd' Summer-hays, Ian Gifford, Andrew King, Jill Hawkesworth, elder brother David and her twin sisters, Tim Hancock, June Fairchild, Andrea Vawse, Roy Birley.

Someone mentioned Barbra Wadilove (she lived on Ballifield Way), I see her brother Geoff fairly regularly, but not seen her since the 60s. Another name mentioned was Gillian Robertson, I used to live next door to her on Ballifield Road. Around about us were Sandra and Glynn Stratford, Malcom Hinds, Glynn Hinde ( might have mixed them up), Peter Frith (who died aged 19), Diane Morris. We used to play cricket on the grass verge after school, with parents often joining in.

Sticking to just Ballifield, those are most of the names I recall, but I also used to knock about with others from Kirkdale, Flockton and Old Retford Road, and some off Bramley.