Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

any one know jean darby of the ballifield

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 23:24 ----------

any one know jean darby of the ballifield went to beaver hill

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 23:25 ----------

any one know jean darby of the ballifield went to beaver hill

Yes! I knew Jean Derby. A lovely girl! I was one year ahead of her a beaver hill. She was a fast sprinter, because I could never catch her in the 'Cow Field'. I trained with her brother Alan at football. I even bought her home one night from the Lyseum Dance Hall. We smooched at her front door! oo-la-la

---------- Post added 03-02-2013 at 11:50 ----------

Hi to both johns,

It's interesting that we grew up on the same estate just a couple of streets apart and yet had our own group of friends although we knew other people by name without really knocking around with them.

I was on Ballifield Crescent with Malcolm Verity,John Bingham and Pete Fisher whilst Rod Major and Cliff Furness were on Handsworth Grange Way.

As we grew into teens and twenties you broaden your circle of friends and get to know others but your first mates in life tend to stick in your memory.

They certainly do Pete! Regards John Bingham

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 11:06 ----------

My dad (Steve Carter) and my uncle (David Carter) lived on Ballifield Rise. My grandparents still do.

Hi Pinksarah889, I grew up with your Uncle David. Having gone to 3 schools with him. Test his memory, ask him if he knew John Bingham. Has you know your Dad (God rest his sole) came along probably around eight years after David. I can remember him as a baby/toddler playing as I walked by the yard. Sorry for your loss! So young! Must have been tough on you all.

Amazingly, you say your Grandparents are still living there! Probably a daft question! But, are the Roddis' still living next door. I used to date Pam Roddis.

I'm so glad I found this web site/Ballifield topic. I had such a wonderful childhood growing/maturing on Good 'ld Ballifield. Great HappyTimes!!! :) Bye :wave:

---------- Post added 07-02-2013 at 11:35 ----------

As you're in Canada,is it my old mate John Bingham.

Pete,

So sorry it's taken me so long to reply to you! Yes it's (Bill) John Bingham. If I

may, I would like to keep in touch! Please email [email protected]

Please provide me with your phone number.

Best regards,

John.

Not many posts on here lately. In fact, none. I heard recently that Sean Bean was from the Ballifield estate. Is that correct? It's well documented he's from Handsworth but Ballifield? Apparently he was born in 1959 so he's 7 years younger than me and I've no recollection of him.

He lived at the corner of Retford road / Beaver Hill Road it is a council house the same as on the Ballifield but not actually on the estate.

Hi John,my old mate Vernon"pop"Howard lived next to the Bean family so it is our claim to fame that we pushed him around in his pram back in the day.His dad,Brian,stayed living there and we use to see him in the Turf but he sadly passed away a year or two ago.Hope you are well,let me know if you are coming over to visit again soon.

Mrs Roddis moved out about 4 years ago but my nan Kath still keeps in touch with her. My grandad has now passed away he was 90. My nans still there though. Amazing to think my dad and David were born in that house and she's still there bless her. Only just seen this. I will ask David.

Mrs Roddis moved out about 4 years ago but my nan Kath still keeps in touch with her. My grandad has now passed away he was 90. My nans still there though. Amazing to think my dad and David were born in that house and she's still there bless her. Only just seen this. I will ask David.

Hi Pinksarah889 Today I got a poke from Sheffield Forum. I didn't realize that you'd replied to my message. Our replies are too far between! Oh! Well! If at all you could find out where Pam & Stella Roddis are located, also their married names. I would appreciate it. Are you on Facebook? Where do you live now?

Bye for now joebloggs277

Hi Pinksarah889 Today I got a poke from Sheffield Forum. I didn't realize that you'd replied to my message. Our replies are too far between! Oh! Well! If at all you could find out where Pam & Stella Roddis are located, also their married names. I would appreciate it. Are you on Facebook? Where do you live now?

Bye for now joebloggs277

Yes I only saw it now nearly a year later because someone else commented and I got am email. I will ask my nan for you about Pamela and Stella. She can't hear what your on about on the phone so I will ask her when I go again. I live at darnal but rest of family at Handsworth still. I am on Facebook yes.

Slotter, so it will be you who is responsible for Sean Bean being a Blade. Pushing him around in a pram telling him tall stories of United's exploits when he could have been "brought up properly" as a Wednesdayite. Pop Howard. Now that name rings a bell. The name Pop has set me thinking.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:31 ----------

Slotter, as you walk down Handsworth Grange Road past the bus terminus towards Beaver Hill Road with Beaver Hill School (as was) on your right, you get to the bottom (Beaver Hill Road) and turn left towards Retford Road and immediately on your left hand side are a small number (maybe 4 or 6) of houses built in the same style as the Ballifield estate. Was it in one of the houses that Sean Bean lived? I would suggest that those houses are ON the Ballifield estate, albeit on the very edge of it. Across the road is the Flockton estate ...... Joe Mullins territory!!!!

Vernon (pop) Howard is a friend of ours and still lives very locally. johnparker yes it is one of those houses that Sean lived in.

Edited by SILLY

Slotter, also, in the early sixties as a kid I recall being in one of those houses at around teatime on a Saturday. We were in the kitchen listening to the radio and the football results were coming through. I do not have a clue whose house it was or why I was there and I'm pretty sure it was the only occasion I was ever in it. Bit of a mystery that but just one of those memories that is triggered when I hear the football results on the radio now. Odd.

---------- Post added 05-01-2015 at 17:39 ----------

If the house had had an orchard I could probably begin to explain my presence there but as I was never a burglar I CAN'T!

Yes I only saw it now nearly a year later because someone else commented and I got am email. I will ask my nan for you about Pamela and Stella. She can't hear what your on about on the phone so I will ask her when I go again. I live at darnal but rest of family at Handsworth still. I am on Facebook yes.

Good, Thank you! Hope to hear from you soon.

Anyone grow up on the Ballifield estate 1950's/60's

Is this the same 'Slotter' that knew Jeff Gill, Geoff Mason e.g.?