Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

Hi Everyone, do you remember me john parker we all grew up together.I was with slotter and Stu Bray last night in the low drop slotter told me about the forum so i thought i would register i will keep in touch.Ian

Hi Ian and youngtugg118,

Good to hear from you after all this time. Hope you are well. Will send a longer mesage shortly. Cheers.

No one appears to have mentioned the Holland Brothers - their father had the grocers shop in the block at the side of the Everest Pub. I think at the time they tried to get on the clubs with an Everley Brothers act. Would be around 1953/1958. Remeber them being friendly with my cousins Christine and Michael Brooks who lived at 87 Handsworth Grange Road, next to David Walker and his parents Mary and Johny Walker.

Best Wishes from Grey Eminence, Subang Jaya, Malaysia - ex Swallownest and Driffield East Yorkshire

Hello Ian, yes I well remember our adventures with Keith Simmons, during the first 15 years of our lives, until I moved away. How are you and your family? How is Geoff, Bob, Ann and was it Suzanne? Is your mum still alive? I thought she up to a few short years ago. My mum died last year aged 91yrs + 1 day.

Also, I remember youngtugg118 though I don't think I've seen you Steve since I left the estate. I didn't know your dad had helped fund the youth club. That was good of him. I remember your dad, I can 'see his face' now. I remember your mother too, but less so. It seemed that every time I passed your house your mother was in the kitchen window - washing up! Did you eat a lot in your house, then? I've seen John (and his wife Pat) quite a bit over the years prior to his departure to the far side of the globe.

I'm sending smaller mesages now. I've attempted to send one long great message THREE times and each time they've disappeared into the ether!

In response to victormh 's message - I vaguely remember the first shop being called Holland's but I have no recollection of the Holland brothers. Were they much older than us, Ian. Also, what were the other shops? The one 2nd from the end (away from the Everest) was like a pokey little greengrocers run by a scruffy little man. I can see his face and brown overalls - but what was his name?

The Holland Brothers, as far I remember were about ther same age as my cousin Chritine Brooks, but older than her brother Michael Brooks, so I guess the Holland brothers will be around 70 years of age now, Christine is about that age now, and Michael will be 69 (this month - October). That is about the nearest I can get after all the years have passed us all by

9-40am here in Malaysia, (8 hours ahead of UK) and 98 degrees already plus a clear blue sky - we do not have seasons here, just hot sunny days 365 a year - every day virtually the same - I have forgotten what frost. snow, fog are and never have to buy screen de-icer !!!! only ice I see is in a glass of G and T !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - Won't mention the costs - petrol UK 1-40 gallon never alters, nice meal out for 4 with drinks/wine etc max UK 18/20-00, but can be as low as UK 4-00/5-00 for out of town places, and very good food - Malaysia just been voted 5th best place in then world to live - anyone on a basic UK pension can live a very good life here and eat out most days - Best Wishes - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya, Malaysia

Hi John the second shop on was thomsons remember his son John, the other guy was Joe rains, yes my mother is still well at 87'sorry to here about your mum John if you want to ring me my mobile is 07860181104.Nice to no your retired I am still at work I have worked with Paul HARDWICK for 32 years now we have around 10 to 15 work for us not easy, remember John thorley ken Edmond dick Knowles the list goes on speak again soon,Regards Ian

Hi just going on about the hollonds the brothers were on the clubs they were Geoff,and Peter and a younger brother called Robert , Ian

Hello youngtug118,

Didn't know you had built an "underground den". Had I known back then, me and my mates (Ian Gifford & Keith Simmons) would have stolen across and sabotaged it!

Hi Ian, got your number, will ring. You know, there's something about the Holland Bros. stirring deep in my mind. Was one of them called "GEOFFREY Holland" in our time as opposed to Geoff which he might have been called later in life. GEOFFREY Holland does ring a bell. As does some of Slotter47's pals Malcolm Verity, John Bingham and Rod Major. Can't place 'em though. Wish I had pictures to look at.

Good to hear about your mum. I think Mrs Green across the road is still alive. She was last year. Great to hear all these names again.

My dad (Steve Carter) and my uncle (David Carter) lived on Ballifield Rise. My grandparents still do.