Growing up on the Ballifield estate in the 60's

Hi pinksarah889, thanks. I remember the name Carter, vaguely, but can't recall TWO Carters, bearing in mind I left the estate 45 years ago. Seem to think I occasionally fought with somebody called Carter from that part of Ballifield - but might be wrong. How old are Stephen and David now? Would one of them be my age 60yrs.

Joe Rains or was it Raynes? Yes, that was him. Can still 'see him now'. Don't remember a John Thompson or the shop being called Thomson's, though Ian. I remember the name Paul Hardwick - didn't he have a brother? though cannot put a face to either of them.

Wasn't John Thorley's nick name "Buckle", for some reason?

May be it was my dad. Think he was a bugger when he was tlyounger my nan and grandad said he used to get into trouble smashing peoples greenhouse windows messing about, setting field on fire. He would have been 58. David is older but not sure exactly by how much probably 61/62.

Hi, Paul HARDWICKS brother is called David, thorleys nickname after a pair of shoes he bought with very large buckles ence the name George buckle, hi pinksara I new your dad very well a nice lad and I no dave.I no your mum is it Rita ? Speak later.

Yes my mum is Rita. Ur surname rings a bell actually from when my dads told me stuff. We do miss him.

Hi Pinksarah889,

From reading what you say it sounds as though your dad has passed away. Very sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

Having given the matter further thought, it wasn't your dad I had "entanglement's" with. This guy had no siblings, so that rules your dad out. Also, I have developed a vague recollection of the Carter's. Will speak to Ian later about the matter later, he might be able to help me.

Sorry about your dad, they were a great bunch o' kids on the Ballifield estate in those days (maybe still are) with very little falling out or "entanglements".

Hi Pinksarah889,

From reading what you say it sounds as though your dad has passed away. Very sorry to hear that. Please accept my condolences.

Having given the matter further thought, it wasn't your dad I had "entanglement's" with. This guy had no siblings, so that rules your dad out. Also, I have developed a vague recollection of the Carter's. Will speak to Ian later about the matter later, he might be able to help me.

Sorry about your dad, they were a great bunch o' kids on the Ballifield estate in those days (maybe still are) with very little falling out or "entanglements".

Thank you. Yes my dad passed away in July 2010, the week before I had my son unfortunetly. He had lung cancer. My dad wasn't a bad lad he just messed about now and again. Been told a few funny stories about things he'd get up to.

My grandad is Jack (really John), hes 90 soon he still lives there with my nan Kath.

Other names not previously mentioned:- William Summerhayes (Bonk?), Steve Farram, John Liversidge, Colin Simpson, his younger brother Steven Simpson, Pete Howarth, Christopher Baker, Michelle Patten, Susan - who lived next door to Michelle, Barbara Waddilove from Ballified Rise.

Other names not previously mentioned:- William Summerhayes (Bonk?), Steve Farram, John Liversidge, Colin Simpson, his younger brother Steven Simpson, Pete Howarth, Christopher Baker, Michelle Patten, Susan - who lived next door to Michelle, Barbara Waddilove from Ballified Rise.

William Summerhayes is my uncle from my mums side. He sadly developed alzhiemers a few years ago at quite a young age in is in a home. He has a brother graham and sisters Val, Sandra and Rita (my mum).

Sarah sorry to hear about your uncle I knew him as he bought our house at Aston when we moved back to Handsworth. I know most of the people mentioned on here from living at Handsworth rather than on the Ballifield. It's surprising how many people that grew up in Handsworth still live here. Mick Brooks went to Brook school same as me the Giffords I know from The Everest and of course having my car tested. Rod Major is married to my sister in laws sister he also is not well after having throat cancer. Sarah I have said in a previous post how I know you small world isn't it.

Thanks. His wife still lives at aston. Its a shame, its a small world but it can b a cruel one. U never know what's around the corner. Uve got to make the most of life.

I lived on the estate from 1951-1963. I lived on Ballifield Drive, opposite the Everest. The kids that lived around me were.....The Bramhall girls...Barbara, Dot and Marilyn. David Brown and his little sister Leslie. Stuart Berisford. Graham Savage. Malcolm Varah. Jennifer Allen. Jean Thorley (John's sister)

Jackie Hargreaves. Christine Brooks.

It was a great place to grow up....

Happy days