Looking after children

The world is as (un) safe as it has ever been.

How did the Moors victims get taken?

How did Janette Tate get taken?

Because there have always been murderous scum around............

What is relatively new is that trolls now look to blame the parents for being victims - a sickening development.

Great post

Posts removed and those quoting them.....

Do not post comments that may prejudice a future trial. If you are going to make allegations then you may very well do so. If this happens again those responsible will be on a ban. The subject is childcare in general please stay on it.

Regardless, I still struggle to understand how a parent would let their child out of their sight at half past 7 in the evening. No, we can't watch them all the time (as someone said), but when we are not watching them, some other adult is (ie school or a grandparent). I would never, never, never let my child out to play with another child. He isn't even in the garden without me.

I don't think people are BLAMING the parents, but there are things that parents can do to minimise risks to their children. Even in that small town (where I visited as a teen on a school field trip for a few days), parents must be savvy to the ways of the world, and would not be so naive as to assume that 'it could never happen here'. Regardless of location, by half past seven of an evening, is it not unusual for a a five year old to be playing out in the street, out of their parent's vision? My six year old would be just out of the bath and about to hop in to bed.

Regardless, I still struggle to understand how a parent would let their child out of their sight at half past 7 in the evening. No, we can't watch them all the time (as someone said), but when we are not watching them, some other adult is (ie school or a grandparent). I would never, never, never let my child out to play with another child. He isn't even in the garden without me.

I don't think people are BLAMING the parents, but there are things that parents can do to minimise risks to their children. Even in that small town (where I visited as a teen on a school field trip for a few days), parents must be savvy to the ways of the world, and would not be so naive as to assume that 'it could never happen here'. Regardless of location, by half past seven of an evening, is it not unusual for a a five year old to be playing out in the street, out of their parent's vision? My six year old would be just out of the bath and about to hop in to bed.

Give your head a shake.

What about the thousands upon thousands of chidren that grow up having experienced the freedom that you want to deny because of what might happen.

Guest sibon

This can be just as harmful as allowing kids to wander around willy nilly.

Kids need to learn to be independent. They need to play wiyth other kids. They need to do stuff without their parents directing their every move. We've lost that perspective in the last twenty years, or so.

This is an appalling case, but thankfully such instances are rare. I hope that the majority of parents appreciate that the risks to their children are negligible and give them the space that they need to grow up.

I agree and I for one am not blaming the parent. I'm raising it that other paerents take heed of whats happened and keep a closer eye on their offspring. Yes parents can have freedoms but it has to be managed. ie a 9 year old will have more freedom than a 7 year old and so forth.

At the end of the day everyone is in great shock over this case but yes many of us parents are wondering why a 5 year old was out without an adult at 7.30pm. I would never have a go at the parents, they must be going through hell, but when I saw the aerial shot showing their house and the place she was playing with her friend I felt physically sick. A large grassy area and a row of buildings are inbetween both areas. No way for even a "quick check".

Whilst we cannot watch our children 24hours and should not stop them playing outside we should all take precautions and lay down rules and boundaries as my parents did with me as a child. We insure our property just in case and lock our doors shouldn't we safeguard our children too? Moreso if fact. Our children are precious. Call me over-protective or a scaremongerer I don't care. The truth is it can happen and it does so we should do our best to prevent it.

And as for children learning independence a 5 year olds independence is dressing themselves, pouring their own milk, cutting their meat not playing out of their parents view

Child abduction by an adult/s NOT known to the victim is incredibly rare. I think it works out as an average of between 1 and 2 per year in the UK.

At the end of the day everyone is in great shock over this case but yes many of us parents are wondering why a 5 year old was out without an adult at 7.30pm. I would never have a go at the parents, they must be going through hell, but when I saw the aerial shot showing their house and the place she was playing with her friend I felt physically sick. A large grassy area and a row of buildings are inbetween both areas. No way for even a "quick check".

Whilst we cannot watch our children 24hours and should not stop them playing outside we should all take precautions and lay down rules and boundaries as my parents did with me as a child. We insure our property just in case and lock our doors shouldn't we safeguard our children too? Moreso if fact. Our children are precious. Call me over-protective or a scaremongerer I don't care. The truth is it can happen and it does so we should do our best to prevent it.

What of those that are taken from hotels and bedrooms. As safe as we think they are there is always the chance so you just got to hope to God it never happens to you.

Do you realise she wasn't alone ........that she was playing out with friends?

And what is your post doing if it isn't "having a go at the parents"........you clearly are by casting judgement on their decision to allow their child to play in what they understood to be safe environment.

This can be just as harmful as allowing kids to wander around willy nilly.

Kids need to learn to be independent. They need to play wiyth other kids. They need to do stuff without their parents directing their every move. We've lost that perspective in the last twenty years, or so.

This is an appalling case, but thankfully such instances are rare. I hope that the majority of parents appreciate that the risks to their children are negligible and give them the space that they need to grow up.

Well said Sibon.

10 year olds are now treated like 7 year olds used to be. Many 13 years olds have never caught a bus alone - despite the danger of abduction or assault being no worse than ever it was.

The main problem for kids these days is the number of cars - no doubt being used to ferry kids around because it is too dangerous and scary for them to walk around the corner to a friends/ neighbours/ relative.