Bedroom tax on council tenants

so do you think they should be exempt over 65 ?

Surly whats good for the goose.

over 65s are exempt

Don't worry about it, if your earning enough to be able to make your house comfortable, then you can't be trying to survive on benefits, which means it won't effect you.

Not that i have to exsplain my self to you but but the work was carried out on my home when i was WORKING me and my wife have allways worked but been on beneffits for last few years due to bad health. And the last thing we want is been forced to start flitting

Not that i have to exsplain my self to you but but the work was carried out on my home when i was WORKING me and my wife have allways worked but been on beneffits for last few years due to bad health. And the last thing we want is been forced to start flitting

When you where working why didnt you put in a right to buy then you wouldnt have been in this position now?

my neighbour went on on smart move to downsize from 3 bed to 2 bed, the 3 bed was decorated, carpeted,modernised,and reasonable sized garden fenced all round,

she was offered a 2 bedroom, went to look at it, the garden was twice as big which she did not want and not fenced,it was not modernised,and all the rooms wanted decorating,

so she turned it down and told them that she was giving up a good home to go back in time and loads of work doing,

When you where working why didnt you put in a right to buy then you wouldnt have been in this position now?

Are you blind i told you my emplyment status as never been safe. And im not getting in debt for any one

Are you blind i told you my emplyment status as never been safe. And im not getting in debt for any one

You said that you and your wife have always worked :huh:

It amazes me that people never took up the only good thing Thatcher did for the working man :loopy:

You don't need a house with so many rooms do you, and other people do... It's more fair to charge you extra for having empty space you don't need than to leave someone else without a house.

But what about the persons/ people with a disability, who have been given a supposedly "Oversized" property, because it is a property that is adapted to the needs of the disabled tenant? (hoists, stairlifts/ through-floor lifts/ wet rooms, extra rooms on ground floor, etc, for example?)

They are being put at a disadvantage, and are actually being punished, financially, for needing a property that is suitable for their disability.

Has any one else heard about the bedroom tax that the council are bringing in in april. Any one that has bedrooms were no one sleeps is going to have to pay 14% for fist bedroom thats empty and 25% for other bedrooms that arenot used. I think its unfair i have spent loads of money on my home and now im going to forced to move as i cant afford to pay the extra rent. Ig the govenment didnt keep letting imigrants in there would be more houses for people born here. And before any one says im racist this is facts

It is not a tax!! It is simply a reduction in benefit payments. There are lots of injustices in the benefits system including- why should people get things they don't need paid for out of other peoples taxes?

This will help address that injustice, by ensuring that people only occupy property they can afford to pay for.

IT is hard to have to give up a home you have grown attached to but when all is said and done it belongs to the council and if you cannot afford to pay the rent, you are being subsidised to live there. Getting benefits for the essentials of life is one thing but spare rooms are a luxury that could be put to better use by a larger family who need a home.

Most imigrants are housed in private rented accommodation rather than Council properties by the way so they have very little to do with the housing shortage. It is more to do with Sheffield Council running the stock down for so many years that it has been fit for nothing but demolition!

cut back on a couple a packets of ciggies a week and that will cover extra rent

Does this tax not relate to persons on benifits only? a long time dole user with spare wasted rooms.

Anyone working paying full rental should not be effected. If there circumstances have changed and have a spare room.

Or am i miss informed? On the info i have heard surely thats a good thing.

But will mean small returns. Cant see how punishing a couple who have lived in their council house for 20 year, had a sibling leave home and now being taxed on their spare room can be of use.

Easy to rectify anyway, the couple can claim they use individual bedrooms.

What it may trace are households not declaring (at the momment) all occupants, avoiding council tax etc again a good thing.

No, ladybirds, It's absolutely ill-thought out, all ways round.

It affects those under pension age; for those over pension age, it doesn't apply. Lose-lose...

A couple will still be classified as under-occupied in a 2-bed house, even if, for medical reasons, they cannot sleep in the same room. Lose-lose...

It affects disabled people, like myself who have a specifically adapted property. Lose-lose...

I would find it difficult to find a property that met my needs as well as this place. I have Hobson's choice. I will have to pay the extra if I want to stay here. If I move house there are a number of other difficulties associated with doing that. Lose-lose... Lose-lose...

I have mentioned that it would be difficult to get a property as suitable as the one I am in, now. Lose-lose...

Who would do the move for me? I would not be able to pack my house up,and unpack at the new place, I have a bad heart I can't lug, and carry stuff. It'd take me forever to unpack. The stress of the move could make me ill, too. Lose-lose...

I'd also lose out by being isolated from my friends and away from the area I am settled in, away from my support network, and my community. Lose-lose...

cut back on a couple a packets of ciggies a week and that will cover extra rent

I don't drink, I don't smoke... where will I find the extra money from?

Ladybirds,

I did not mention, above, the other reasons why it's such a bad scheme.

It will be divisive within families, as well, as non-custodial parents won't get entitlement to HB for the second and third bedrooms that their children need on overnight visits.

This will cause parents without residency orders difficulty, and result in them potentially losing contact with their children.