Phone scam - 0845 numbers

I've been getting a lot of phone calls which just stop as soon as I pick up the reciever.

When I do 171 to find out who has phoned it's always an 0845 number. Needless to say Idon't phone it back.

BE WARNED

----------------------------------

Edited by shand1
I'll delete my own posts - Thank you

Be warned about what? A phone call that you don't answer that doesnt cost you anything? Or am I missing something here..? :huh:

Sorry to raise this again but yesterday I got a phone call from a mobile number. As i did not recognise the number I dialled 1471.

Guess what it was an 0845 number!

I just google the number, it usually tells you if it's a spam call.

I very often ignore the landline. If they dont leave a message - its a scam. If its friends or family, they'll leave a message or phone my mobile.

That's really weird..my phone rang the other day, and when I went to pick it up it stopped..and then later on it rang again..so I picked it up..but it was Just my mother who lives a couple of miles away..really weird or what...

I have to ask..how is someone being called on an 0845 number a scam?

You will get a lot of that ,the call centers "block"dial i.e a lot of numbers at once ,they then proceed to talk to the first one who answers the rest get ignored

You will get a lot of that ,the call centers "block"dial i.e a lot of numbers at once ,they then proceed to talk to the first one who answers the rest get ignored

Yep,in a former life I used to instal large (1,000+ seat) call centres..if they have 500 agents on shift then they will start bycalling 550-600 numbers 'cos they know some won't be answered..they'll always use more outbound lines than they have agents available..

I have to ask..how is someone being called on an 0845 number a scam?

If you phone the number back, you get charged for it and the receiver may make money from your call.