Seagrave's Barbers Closes On Woodseats

Noticed that the above gentlemans hairdressers on woodseats as finally closed due to retirement.

This is I believe one of the last remaining businesses that have been in the same family for years indeed I beleive that it is the longest family business in woodseats.

Are there any other busineness in sheffield that have been in the same family for a number of years think this one may be 60 plus years at least

DSCN1039410748.jpg

(What I would love to do is get some photos in side before it is cleared - Iam assuming its not going to be a barbers any longer)

This has been acquired by two local business men and will be continuing as a barbers with the name of Seagraves, fully referbed into a traditional gentleman's barbers I have photos of the inside before it was emptied and will post as part of the reopening in february 2013

Edited by baxter

the ladies hairdressers used to be on the upper floor 'Carole's'

[Roger's wife]

Barber owned by Walter Seagrave first, before Roger took it over.

This has been acquired by two local business men and will be continuing as a barbers with the name of Seagraves, fully referbed into a traditional gentleman's barbers I have photos of the inside before it was emptied and will post as part of the reopening in february 2013

Glad u got them i was ketp looking but there was never anyone around with a key and i didnt see roger bout

The shop is keeping the Seagrave's name in order to honour Roger and his family's links to woodseats, and all of the old photos and posters Roger had up on his walls are being re framed and used as part of the refurbishment.

---------- Post added 15-01-2013 at 18:53 ----------

Anyone with photos or anecdotal info on Seagraves and especially the shop in the earlier 20th century it would be great to hear.

I understand Seagraves re-opens today and has been kept in keeping with the family traditional style.

Good luck to the new owners and credit to you for honouring the family history.

the ladies hairdressers used to be on the upper floor 'Carole's'

[Roger's wife]

Barber owned by Walter Seagrave first, before Roger took it over.

Carole was Roger's sister, not wife.

Years ago when I had some hair to cut..this was where I went.

Good to see it opening again and good luck to them.

I remember It was also one the few barbers where they used to ask gentlemen if they needed anything for the weekend.

Rogers on Handsworth road in Sheffild is still going strong, he has been there over 40 years. It is very old fashioned, wall covered in tits etc....

Roger will be retiring in less than 2 hours if I heard correctly. That will be another traditional barber lost.

Harrisons Camera Shop, open for as long as I can remember. Sons run it now.

Roger has retired to the Abbey.

Harrisons Camera Shop, open for as long as I can remember. Sons run it now.

Roger has retired to the Abbey.

Not the same shop though. They moved a few years ago

Seagraves barbers has now reopened, see the report in the star

http://www.thestar.co.uk/lifestyle/features/new-salon-out-to-be-a-clip-off-the-old-block-1-5446495 (just click on the link)

A modern Barbers with a traditional ethos.

All of Roger Seagraves memorabilia has been painstakingly mounted and displayed in frames to give a flavour of the old shop. Mr Seagrave himself has been in to give it his seal of approval, pop along and see a slice of woodseats history brought into the 21st century.

These guys have done an outstanding job