30.09.12 - Sheffield Forum 5-6 Wyvern

Sheffield Forum were edge out by a persistant Wyvern side in an 11-goal thriller. There were no changes to the side that beat Chaucer but 2 added subs were available. Matthew Corker and Scott Bowden were both added to the subs but Joe Neate, Andy Coates, Jay Bowden and Ryan Lynch were still unavailable.

This was a fixture looked forward too by both sets of players early on and the build up started early during week between the 2 sides. It's the first fixture of what is regarded as a 'local derby' as many of the players know each and live near by so this was to be a game neither team wanted to lose. It certainly didn't disappoint!!

Wyvern kicked off the strongest and quickly settled into the rhythm, going on the attack in the first minute. Forum took a little longer to get anything going but it was to be too late. Wyvern drew first blood with an early goal after 5 minutes after some good pressure and Forum failing to clear the ball.

Forum began to get into the game but failed to create any chances and were given a lucky escape. Wyvern were disallowed a goal, the winger ran managed to get clear of keeper Smith and played the ball towards goal but before it reach the line, it was put in by another player who was in an offside position.

Forum woke up but it was around the 20th minute when Forum had their first shot, Daniel Sheedy with an effort from outside the area. Tom Gray later had a shot cleared off the line from a Sheedy corner. But it was again Wyvern to score again, they doubled their lead in the middle of the 1st half as they looked threatening in each attack.

Forum pushed hard though. A few free kicks were floated into the area but no gamble was made to make contact with the ball, although Shane Middlebrook went closest when he just failed to connect when clear behind the defence.

A goal did eventually come as Shane Middlebrook played Ryan Savage in over the Wyvern back line and he lashed home.

But it was Wyvern who were more of a threat going forward as Forum failed to deal with any ball put over them and they hit straight back to regain their 2 goal lead and in doing so, left the scoreline at 3-1 to Wyvern at half time.

HT: Sheffield Forum 1-3 Wyvern

So, half time rant out of the way, Sheffield Forum came back ready for the 2nd half knowing what they had to do. Within 5 minutes they had pulled one back as Liam Wales got into the game a little more and ran clear of the defence with the keeper to beat but from an angle. He knocked it past the keeper only to be caught and sent off balance before failing the reach the ball. The referee pulled play back for a penalty after there was no advantage. Daniel Sheedy stepped up and confidently put it in the keeper bottom right corner.

Play was a little more open now as Wales got more involved in the game and play was spread. Forum finally found the net as Sheedy when past his marker outside the area and curled a wonderful shot round the keeper to finally draw Forum level.

The following 8 minutes saw 3 goals scored. Wyvern managed to regain the lead a few minutes after the equaliser but Forum drew level within a minute as Wales sent the ball across to Middlebrook who netted for his first of the game. Wyvern were not to give up, within 2 minutes they had managed to get back down the field and somehow managed to take the lead yet again with the score now at 4-5.

It was during Wyverns 5th, Wales suffered a leg injury which forced a stoppage in play. After a few minutes he was able to get to his feet, aided by his team mates but could not carry on. Matthew Corker came on for Wales and it was Corker who was to start the move to Forums 5th goal.

With just under 15 to play, Corker played a ball down the left to Ashley Proctor who had now been moved to wing from left back. He played the ball in for Middlebrook to grabbed his 2nd goal, eventually smashing it in to the roof of the net.

The game was now on a knife edge. One more goal it seemed would take all 3 points however given the effort from both sides, nobody could really have complained about a draw.

Wyvern though produced the pressure which led to the winner. They had their 3rd in a row, where the ball this time scrambled around the area before being poked home for what was the winner.

The game was a very entertaining one to watch and had many spectators present. Between the goals, chances were missed for both sides. Proctor, Sheedy, Middlebrook and Savage all had chances that were either saved or sent high/wide of the goal where as Wyvern hit the outside of the post and forced Adam Smith into 2 fantastic reaction saves.

The game was built up by players and they all certainly performed and entertained. It was an excellent game, just a shame Forum left with nothing despite their best efforts. Given the performance and recent results, Forum are certainly heading in the right direction. Its not many times you score 5 and still get beaten.

Onwards and upwards now for Forum as they played away to Holly Bush next weekend!

Team: Smith, Proctor, Baugh, Jenkins, Z. Crownshaw, C. Crownshaw (S. Bowden), Wales (Corker), Savage, Gray, Middlebrook, Sheedy. Unused subs: Appleby, Gill.

Edited by Pink2Bubble

I actually cant remember all that much from the game. It was crazy today and I cant remember much of Wyverns goals! LOL

pretty fair assesment m8 to much going on in short amount of time for most of the goals, i cant remember any exept my assist for winner lol

if we both do chaucer in return fixtures happy days!

Great game, can't wait for the next one, and yeah let's both turn Chaucer over again !!!

pretty fair assesment m8 to much going on in short amount of time for most of the goals, i cant remember any exept my assist for winner lol

if we both do chaucer in return fixtures happy days!

Haha cheers, far too much happening...normally a 2-1 or even a 5-1 or something you can recall how you concede and score yours but today was just too much...there was hardly time to light my fag between the 3 quick-fire goals in the 2nd half!

Great game, can't wait for the next one, and yeah let's both turn Chaucer over again !!!

Haha I think Mick needs time to recover from that one first! His heart rate was high! :hihi:

Haha cheers, far too much happening...normally a 2-1 or even a 5-1 or something you can recall how you concede and score yours but today was just too much...there was hardly time to light my fag between the 3 quick-fire goals in the 2nd half!

Haha I think Mick needs time to recover from that one first! His heart rate was high! :hihi:

his heart rate is always high he needs to chill out a bit his gob gets us in more bother than any of the players :hihi::hihi::hihi: