Mg zt cam repair

Hi i have a 2004 plate mg zt 1.8 non turbo and have what sounds like a tappet noise from thetop of the engine. I myself thought it was a hydrolic lifter stuck but have had it put to me it could be my cam thats gone. How could i find out if this is the case.and if so what price would i be looking at to get it repaired. I have given it a service last werk and put some whynns hydrolic lifter treatment in but dosnt seem to have worked. Any advice would be much appreciated.thanks

We had the same problem with a rover and tried the usual lifter medicine that sometimes works it did nothing .Eventually stripped the head which has to be done to get at the lifters or cams and the engine was full of burnt on oil deposits causing the lifters to stick it was never going to come off without removing the head. After pricing all needed parts gaskets, head bolts etc we decided it was cheaper to swap the engine for a good secondhand motor which we did.

Sorry i cant offer a quick fix but i think you are looking at least changing the hydraulic lifters but this will probably be a temporary fix as the guides in the head may also be worn.

If its running ok just turn the stereo up and ignore it LOL

Hi i have a 2004 plate mg zt 1.8 non turbo and have what sounds like a tappet noise from thetop of the engine. I myself thought it was a hydrolic lifter stuck but have had it put to me it could be my cam thats gone. How could i find out if this is the case.and if so what price would i be looking at to get it repaired. I have given it a service last werk and put some whynns hydrolic lifter treatment in but dosnt seem to have worked. Any advice would be much appreciated.thanks

Theres ya problem :hihi:

there is your problem indeed but i would go for the stripping of the head over replacing the engine, once youve stripped your head you know where you stand and you know its right when its been rebuilt, a replacement engine might have this problem in the future as you dont know the history of an engine and you might end up sorting that one in the future. if you or competant or know some who is youll save some money but you could be looking at 300+ in a garage.

If you have the V6 engine fitted,it will be the Upper Inlet Manifold thats rattling.I had the same problem,bought one of E/bay for £90 problem solved,no more rattles.

If you have the V6 engine fitted,it will be the Upper Inlet Manifold thats rattling.I had the same problem,bought one of E/bay for £90 problem solved,no more rattles.

1.8 is a 4 cyl

Surely it's possible to remove the camshafts and lifters without removing the head from the block?

You might be able to find some secondhand or refusbished lifters to drop straight in to replace your sticking ones - have you looked on eBay or the owners club forum?

thanks guys got a lot to weigh up by the sound of things. either way its going to be an expensive decision. :(

Just been told bottom end is gone to say im ****** off is a under statement.

When you serviced it did you make sure you used the correct oil and double checked you had topped it up correctly.

Seems strange the big ends to go so soon, if you drained the oil last week you might have noticed some metal deposits in there from where the big ends were wearing badly.