De-fleaing cats for the first time.

We have recently acquired two new kittens. This is the first time I have had cats and so I am a complete novice. :help:They have been well cared for and are flea free, but it has come to the time for us to keep up the flea defence. Unfortunately the defence that I have chosen says that they must be kept apart for 48 hours after application. I understand why, as these two are brothers and constantly grooming each other.

Does anyone know of a product where I don't need to do this as trying to keep them apart is proving to be impossible. We haven't used anything yet, but time is running out.

Many thanks in anticipation of your advice.

Frontline is one of the best. U have to try & stop them grooming each other until its dried. I've just used the spray on my kittens but if u use the spot on treatment (if they're old enough) its then only a small wet spot on the back of their neck. HTH

We have 'Bob Martin Spot On'. Good job you told me to use just a spot as I would have used the whole tube.....DOH!

Sorry...I have more questions......

Our kits are 13 weeks, how old before I use the whole tube?

If I use spray how long does it take to dry?

They appear to be scratching at the minute (around their necks), should I check for fleas or do they just do that? (They have not been in contact with any other animals only the cats at their foster home.)

I told you I am a complete novice, but I want to continue the fabulous start they had at their foster home. I am not a cat person, at all......but they are growing on me!

To be honest, the bob Martin stuff is useless. Far better that you start out with something like frontline or stronghold. Not sure about bob Martin but frontline is a pippette that you do use the whole thing. Have a look if you can see any little black specks (flea dirt) or nothing crawling. D you know were they last flea treated and what with?

Many of the flea "tube" products are referred to as "spot on", this is just a colloquial term and does not mean that you only have to put a single spot on, you have to use the whole tube.

The old Bob Martin Spot On as now been discontinued and as been replaced by a product called Bob Martin Flea Clear. The active ingredient in this is Fipronil, the same as Frontline, and in exactly the the same proportions. In effect, it is the same as Frontline.

As a footnote, Bob Martins have now been bought out by Seven Seas, the makers of Vetzyme products.

Ooooo that's interesting! I stand corrected - i didnt know that. Has the price gone up with a wallop then? And are there only certain places allowed to sell it, as with frontline?

That's really useful thanks. I'd never have entertained Bob Martin stuff before but I'll certainly have a look at that

Thank you for all your advice. My partner is taking the monsters to the vet on Monday for their injections. He is going to get their advice as they will be able to tell us exact amounts as he can weigh them- let be bitten and scratched by the little imps!

I managed to groom our long hair tabby- but found nothing which I suppose is a good sign.

I am sure that I will be back with lots more feline related questions in the furture:)- guinea pigs are so much easier! :hihi: