I would love to be a photographer- Any advice appreciated

Practice, do a college course or something for technical information. When concentrating on gear, the camera is the least of your problems. Spend more on lenses. You can have the best camera in the world but if the glass is substandard then your pictures won't be sharp and will suffer from aberrations.

I have a couple of articles on what camera and lens to choose on my website: cameraconnect.wordpress.com

Good luck!

:0)

nice blog there :)

You did indeed..apologies..what I mean't was that not everyone can afford to do a college course. I find the best source of information are photography forums and magazines. Often the best way is learning by making mistakes!

That's a fair point. From experience I can say that doing courses is the best way to learn it all though.

A few years ago, I applied for a job at a magazine. One of those dedicated to a certain brand. I missed out because 95% of my knowledge is self taught through practice and mistakes. It was decided that what I'd learned was what I wanted to learn.

Through my disappointment, I could see they were right. It's easy to teach yourself but once you think you know it, you'll stop. It's better to have someone guiding you all the way through if you can. :0)

nice blog there :)

Thanks very much that means a lot to me.

Edited by camconnect
off topic

Yeah like the others have said best thing to do is research Cameras and lenses on google maybe even go to a camera shop see what expert reccomend from what I know it can be abit pricey!

UoS does a DSLR camera course - should be easy to enrol on it because of the change in regs. Also think there's something doing at Hillsborough or Sheffield College.

For the position on fees, it's best if you dont have any qualifications because that will mean you'll have to pay the full wack and that's quite steep these days. :(

I am doing photography as a degree now and I would say just take it step by step, play with shutter speeds and depth of field etc and dont beat yourself up about the first results. If you worry too much it will take the fun away!

Also if your doing a course I went to Norton and did Photography as an A-Level, it is very good there! :)

If you want to chat feel free to mail me on my facebook page, would like to help you out.