Towing a trailer ?

I know there was a change from after 1997 but not totally sure how it works. Iv been told you can pull a trailer with a max weight of 750 and Iv also being told that you can tow anything aslong as the car and trailer combined is not over 3500? As the 7.5 tonne was done away with aswell. Personally I think this was the stupidest thing yet. Any help ??

?????????????????????????????????

Edited by shand1
Sod it ! can't be bothered with this over moderated forum anymore,-- Ad Block Plus rules OK

Simples.

As long as the COMBINED WEIGHT of BOTH CAR AND TRAILER/CARAVAN DOES NOT EXCEED 3.5 Tonne you're ok to tow on a licence issued after 1997.

I know cos we've bought a caravan and needed to know as I only passed my my test in 2006, so theres no need to take an extra test (though there's nothing to stop you if you wanted to!)

Its just if you want to drive something like a LWB Transit and a twin axled caravan this "new rule" comes into effect.

:) Hope this clears up any confusion :D

TOWING LIMITS ....

Edited by bobsyouruncle
DVLA Link

I passed in 2007 so it's complicating

You will need to take a trailer test and if you are using the trailer for work and the plated train weight is above 3.5ton you will need to get a tacho fitted, at about a grand, then tacho cards, then tacho card analysis. Not cheap or easy. You might need an operators license.

Read the blog here http://www.yourroadrisk.co.uk/

Don't realy use 1 that often just now and then. Caravan more than anything, id do the test but I rather spend the £500 on better things lol