Whatever happened to ROTHERHAM part two

As i have commented on the poor behaviour and bad planning from Rotherham town planners since the 1960s which has affected the town so much to take away the charm it had in the 1960s and any buildings of interest from the past etc . I recall the boiler maker firm Robert Jenkins selling off their playing field on Fenton Road for house building , soon this plot of land was full of hastily built houses but in the 1980s i recall , some service was brought in because a problem had developed . One end of this field was on a rise of land and in the past at the bottom of the slope just outside the field in the 1950s/60s was a drift mine. I went pass this area in the 1980s and bag after bag of cement taken off pallet loads was being pumped into the mine shaft that no doubt ran under the houses built on the field above. So the houses had been allowed to be built over an unsealed horizontal mine shaft and probably due to subsidence or cracks in the houses above years later was the problem of the mine shaft discovered , i wonder who did the land survey prior to the houses being built ???? no doubt some cowboy outfit.

feel better now?. South Yorkshire is covered in old mine shafts but not under every house. Do a bit of research on which "cowboy outfit" you are worried about.

Telman i was on about a situation i knew about and passed almost daily , im aware that the area is or was a mining area , it wasnt my intention to see out who had built homes over mine shafts but to highlight one i knew personally .

it's a very random post - especially considering this is the SHEFFIELD forum

I dont think this is confined totally or strictly within Sheffield and as Rotherham is the cities neighbour its hardly like talking about Doncaster. If someone else chatted about Rotherham id hardly be likely to prevent them and anyway my comments were a follow on to Whatever happened to Rotherham part one.