Memories of Pitsmoor

I'm good friends with the Sommerset folk.!

Still see Deby, and Nigel from time to time, there mum's called lynn..is it you.?

they used to live on Verdon St, but moved up to Swallonest area quite a few years back.!

jt

Sorry JT its not me, i have only 1 daughter. Not seen the Somersets in years.

allthough from walkley spent all my time in Pitsmoor working on carlisle st. my wife was born in verdon st. across from KYNOCKS , (albion pub ) wards ale. any one remember stanniforths, had a lot of good mates, who all played darts for bull & oak wicker in the burngreave league.top fitzallan

when sid & amy had it (run out of beer often) new inn.rock.cromwell.good time remember walking home at midnight from verdon st could not do it now.pals lived catherine rd. Burt Rodgers.loss trace of him Bob Somersett

on burngreave rd alec gregory.any one remember them.?

Sorry JT its not me, i have only 1 daughter. Not seen the Somersets in years.

hi lynn have you got a sister called janet and did you also live on fox st

hi lynn have you got a sister called janet and did you also live on fox st

Sorry its not me, i do know who you mean tho. Janet had a sister called Linda, we were in the same class together. Many people got us mixed up. If i remember right enough, they only stayed on fox st for a few months.

hello everyone

I lived on torbay Road off Grimesthorpe road dob 1959. sister Judy and younger brother Steven. mom and dad - George and Lynne xxx

Does anyone remember clun street 1960s pitsmoor wasnt too bad then.Does anyone remember a big house at the top of the road,a women lived there who had loads of kids.There used to be a old lady who lived on the street called mrs kitson.i was only about 4 or 5 then but i have clear recollections living around there.There was a photographers on burngreave rd called fred knaggs anyone remember that.Im 46 now so i would be interested if anyone who is around that age or older who remembers certain places as it was then.My gran lived on sutherland road,can anyone remember the reck with swings and that, i used to play on there when i was a kid.Also the old church at the top of the road,they pulled it down didnt they and built a new one.
used to play at the reck wen i was a kid lived on peterstreet across from poters paper shop

Regarding the teachers at Burngreave Secondary Modern (ahem, kof,kof). I left in 1948 and the ones in power back then were Snell;Rawlins;King; Holdsworth;Brittain;Gosney; and top of the heap Mr Scowcroft. How I remember him, always reminded me of that teacher in the Giles cartoons, with the glasses and all. That or a Gestapo officer.

Anybody remember his office with the highly polished floor? I had to go in there once and I skidded on my ass and he made me go out and enter again. The next time I nearly finished up across the desk. Oh yes though, he made me do it again. Not my favorit teacher of all time.

Hi Texas,

I pulled this one out of the back because your comment about the Gestapo caught my eye.

You will remember that at the end of war, when the Allies overran Germany, nobody could find any SS or camp guards. We now know that many of them were spirted out of the country to South America.

But there was also an ugly rumour circulating at the time that they came to England and were retrained as teachers.

Take Care

Did anyone live in Pitsmoor in the 50s? Am looking for anyone who might have known my Grandad, he lived on Pitsmoor road apparently.

My mom and dad lived in Pitsmoor in the 50's - Torbay Road (A small cul de sac) next to the "big field" and regualarly went to the local working men's clubs in the area. x

used to play at the reck wen i was a kid lived on peterstreet across from poters paper shop

my sister was Judy Powell - she is 47 went to Firth Park School.

Hi Suz. Wonder if you could ask them if they knew a Harry Gower.

I'm trying to gather info together about him as he was my grandad. He died in 1956 and i think he was a bit of an alcoholic. He was born around 1901 so would have been in his 50s in the 50s :)

Thanks

Hello,

I remember Melia's but can't place its exact location. I do remember that there was a shop called Bevan's, between Wigfalls and the Collie. I never a reason to go in but seem to think part of the shop had a big skylight. I think it sold womens' clothes (or even underwear) and was really old fashioned, judging by what they put in the windows in the 1940s.

You mentioned Melia's but wasn't there also a Mellor's somewhere? As you will remember, Sheffield in the day' before the supermarkets had a lot of small/medium grocery chains Names such as: Shentall's (remember Harold Shentall was big in the FA), Gowers, Burgons, Gallons, Maypole, Lipton's in Haymarket, Home Farm Products, and so on.

All a long time ago.

Falls

I've just rediscovered this thread and all the above talk of shops reminded me of an establishment, a grocers I think, halfway up Burngreave Road, mid way between Catherine St and Rock St. I remember there was a tram' stop outside. Can't remember the name of the shop. And also a barbershop, a little way up Catherine St, on the left, from opposite the Vestry Hall. I think the name of the guy that did the haircuts was called Reg Lacelles. Big pal of Brian Mooney.

Edited by Texas