Memories of Pitsmoor

HI Geocol I did repairs to Mr Colleys property in the 50 ties avery nice family ,I went to school with Howard Colley ,lost all contact when the houses were pulled down , its nice to talk to a member of the family after all these years, Cheers Arthur Fearnehough

Arthur,

The tripe shop on Ellesmere Road was acquired by my great grandfather (Thomas Colley) when he married into the Short family around the end of the 19th century, who already had an "empire" in the city.

My grandfather sold it in the early sixties after which I believe it became a paint shop?

He kept the one on Spital Hill (opposite Carlisle Street) for a couple more years. ( The assistant who worked there was a lady called Mrs Grey), but that must have been demolished around the end of 1963.

He retained the stall in Castle Market for a few more years after that , but things became difficult after the foot and mouth epidemic of the sixties after which the price of beef shot up and sales dropped, meaning reduced killings and supplies, and the business died along with the ageing clientele.

Geocol,

I used to know a lad in the late sixties called Ian Colley ( I think) His relations used to have a tripe (factory ?) up on Canada street but I think he lived on Thorndon Road or Earsham street . Are we talking about the same business?

Arthur (& also Mr Freedom)

I was going to reply to your All Saints thread and ask you that, but don't have enough posts yet to PM (but will oce I do).

Howard died 4 years ago. His younger brother Geoff, and mother had already died just before Canada St was demolished, and Archie soon afterwards.

The work you did, may well have been to repair the extensive damage suffered to both domestic and business properties in the 62 gale (already well covered on another thread)..

A chimney stack would have landed on Geoff's bed, had he not chosen to move it to the other side of the room, just a week before. Psychic!

As a kid I went to school with and visited the home of Robert Austin on Fox Hill. Try this http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/sense_of_place/picture_sheffield/nov_03/021_u00912.shtml

Shaun, I think he had another brother but I can't remember.

He was brought up by his Mother who died while he was still at school, she was a bonnie ladie with bandaged legs.

Hello,

I think that Fred Knaggs was also the Photographers.

Hi MR Freedom,Are you the one that knows Ian Colley, Iseem to recall the name , I was at at All Saints School same time as a girl named Freedom but can,t recall her name ,any relation!,Howard was in my class, Arthur.

WHO LIVED ON FOX HILL?

Hi all i am trying to find out names of people who lived on FOX HILL. It's the small road that joins Fox Street with Rock Street. Where can i get hold of any photos of this street?. I have looked for photos everywhere but have had no joy.

Does anybody have any memories of this street from years gone by?. If so can you please post your stories on this forum.

Hope somebody out there can help, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ash

Hi everyone,

I used to live on Fox Hill, next door, in fact to the Austins, in those days the street had shiny setts with grass growing in between which made it very treacherous for walking in wintertime. There were handrailings up our side and people used to sit on our windowsill for a rest, halfway up the street.

I remember the watertank at the bottom of Gray Street , the high causeway at the top of Fox Hill, the shops across from the bottom of Fox Hill. There were the Newsagents, Pheasey's Greengrocers, Saunders groceries, Bartrams cobblers, Roberts tobaconist, Blackshaws drapers and Caira's at the top of Stone Street.

My father used to look after the playground (Wembley) on Orborne Street

Capricorn_11

Would that be Mr Bradley

Siren

Hi Siren,

Yes that was him! Sadley he died in 1968, one year after retiring from the Parks dept.

I have many memories of Pitsmoor, especially down Marcus Street and the surrounding area where my Dad used to work, Fitzalan Tavern , Sportsman Inn, Beer-off shop bottom of Marcus Walk now that was a pull to get up to Neville Street! Remember "the owd hill" and "Fiery Jack"?

Hi Capricorn 11.

Is your name Paul Bradley? I can't tell from your avatar. It's not very clear with it being small. If so we were mates at school, (Pye Bank)

Hiyar Pitsmoorboy,

No I'm not Paul. I'm his elder brother. Unfortunately Paul died in 1998.

Hiyar Pitsmoorboy,

No I'm not Paul. I'm his elder brother. Unfortunately Paul died in 1998.

Hi. capricorn_11.

That realy is sad news. We were in the same class at school for years. I did hear a few years back that he may have passed away but the information was sketchy and unreliable, and when i saw your post I was hoping it was Paul. He was such a jolly lad at school and I was hoping to meet up with him again. That makes Three of my old classmates that I know to have gone, Peter Campbell, Frankie Lemons, and Paul.... Many thanks, and look after yourself...

WHO LIVED ON FOX HILL?

Hi all i am trying to find out names of people who lived on FOX HILL. It's the small road that joins Fox Street with Rock Street. Where can i get hold of any photos of this street?. I have looked for photos everywhere but have had no joy.

Does anybody have any memories of this street from years gone by?. If so can you please post your stories on this forum.

Hope somebody out there can help, thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ash

Hi Ash,

Try this:-

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/1304/Telegonus/FoxHill.jpg

Capricorn