Memories of Pitsmoor

I feel as though I ought to be able to recognise and identify where this was, but can't.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/sheffield_look_south/print/4340088.html

(Might have been over the Grimesthorpe boder ?)

or this anyone ?

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/terraced_housing_in_sheffield/print/4415788.html

On the first photo I think the chapel in the foreground is the one on Grimesthorpe Rd just below Hunsley St & above & on other side of the road from Grimesthorpe School which will be just off the left of the picture.

If that's the case the photo is taken from the hill that extends up from Earl Marshall Rd to Grimesthorpe Rd.

I think the very tall buildings on the top right are English Steel's gun plant heat treatment towers. The Gas holders will be at the Gas works on Upwell Street just before the railway bridge above ESC corner at Brightside Lane.

I went to Grimesthorpe school & worked at ESC so it brings back many memories.

John

What good memories. I lived at 123 Rock Street around 1944 and was in Miss Fisher's class at Pye Bank. She took some of us to the family farm at Penistone during the war. I often fetched fish and chips from the White House, and remember Cutts the newsagent.

I had a friend who lived on Rock St, the second bay window house after Andover St, going towords Nottingham St called Keith Darling

The woman in the sticky bun shop I think her name was Ivy Goodman.

Thanks for the name,I remember it now

What good memories. I lived at 123 Rock Street around 1944 and was in Miss Fisher's class at Pye Bank. She took some of us to the family farm at Penistone during the war. I often fetched fish and chips from the White House, and remember Cutts the newsagent.

Miss Fisher certainly rings a bell,I remember Mr Spieght head teacher,I had a walk and passed the school and noticed it was boared up,I wonderd if it could be a listed building

On the first photo I think the chapel in the foreground is the one on Grimesthorpe Rd just below Hunsley St & above & on other side of the road from Grimesthorpe School which will be just off the left of the picture.

If that's the case the photo is taken from the hill that extends up from Earl Marshall Rd to Grimesthorpe Rd.

I think the very tall buildings on the top right are English Steel's gun plant heat treatment towers. The Gas holders will be at the Gas works on Upwell Street just before the railway bridge above ESC corner at Brightside Lane.

I went to Grimesthorpe school & worked at ESC so it brings back many memories.

John

Hi johnpm - While the chapel looks like the one on Grimesthorpe rd I don't think it is, there wasn't any houses on this side next to Grimesthorpe school. There was a stone wall all the way from the school until it reached some houses with front doors facing the road but back doors and yards only accessible from Botham st north. It's closer in appearence to the chapel on Hunsley st but there again I recall that having a light coloured facade and that road seems to be too sloped anyway. When I left school I worked a few months at ESC, past the coke plant at Brightside under the bridge and around the corner at a heat treatment plant, I worked for a manager who went by his Army rank, his name was Captain Leslie, I know this is probably before your time there but does it ring any bells.

Hi johnpm - While the chapel looks like the one on Grimesthorpe rd I don't think it is, there wasn't any houses on this side next to Grimesthorpe school. There was a stone wall all the way from the school until it reached some houses with front doors facing the road but back doors and yards only accessible from Botham st north. It's closer in appearence to the chapel on Hunsley st but there again I recall that having a light coloured facade and that road seems to be too sloped anyway. When I left school I worked a few months at ESC, past the coke plant at Brightside under the bridge and around the corner at a heat treatment plant, I worked for a manager who went by his Army rank, his name was Captain Leslie, I know this is probably before your time there but does it ring any bells.

Hi Fleetwood, Whilst I went to Grimesthorpe school & Grimesthorpe Reform chapel I lived at Page Hall so I bow to your superior knowledge of Grimesthorpe Rd ! Wish we could work out where it was though?

I spent 3 years on a research training scheme at ESC from Sep 1960 then worked in Welding Research until leaving in Sep 1967. Never heard of Captian Leslie though !!

Best wishes, John

Edited by johnpm

Actually Paul I have to say no, I dont remember the name Corbridge. Did she live at the top end or below Hayward Road? I dont remember many names from the bottom end, Reginald St, Marshall St perhaps, a few.

Do you remember the Prices? Brian was one of them.

I feel as though I ought to be able to recognise and identify where this was, but can't.

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/sheffield_look_south/print/4340088.html

(Might have been over the Grimesthorpe boder ?)

or this anyone ?

http://www.mediastorehouse.com/terraced_housing_in_sheffield/print/4415788.html

The chapel in the first photo is surely this one: LINKY

The chapel in the first photo is surely this one: LINKY

That one is Wesley Hall on Wincobank Lane ( now a mosque I am told). Well done ! It certainly looks as though that's the one & the photo was taken from Wincobank Hill.

That one is Wesley Hall on Wincobank Lane ( now a mosque I am told). Well done ! It certainly looks as though that's the one & the photo was taken from Wincobank Hill.

:) The clue is the tall Forgemasters building at centre right in the photo. The building is still there opposite the arena. I just worked back from there on google maps.

I had a friend who lived on Rock St, the second bay window house after Andover St, going towords Nottingham St called Keith Darling

Keith Darling's my uncle :)

Keith Darling's my uncle :)

Was Keith in the york & lancaster Regt in the middle 50s.