Memories of Pitsmoor

You still around shaun, thought you might have been banged up some where,we'll have to meet up for a drink, nick beetensons been in touch[/quote Re the surname Beetenson,does he have a sister Karen,went to Earl Marshall and is around 47/48?

We moved to Verdon Street Post Office in 1978 because my parents took it over. I didn't go to any of the local schools because my sister and I stayed in the school we were already in and travelled to it. We lived in the flat above the Post Office and Jane Naretti lived next door but one.

We made friends with Marion Smith and Carla and Deborah Somerset both lived on Verdon Street and Millicent Ellis who lived on the high rise flats round the corner from Rock Street. I also remember Kevin Jowe who lived near Rock Street and Andrew Moffat. Does anyone know any of these people? All went to High Storrs school with us.

OOOh and Mark Eades (who went to the same school as me) because his Nan lived on Verdon Street so we often caught the bus together when he was visiting her.

And I remember the Whitehouse chippy, the Furnival Pub, Marshall's newsagents and Marshall's fruit shop next door to us where Bill worked and his grandson Andrew was gorgeous .... :love:

Then in later years we moved to Pitsmoor Post Office because my parents bought it when Mrs Sheehan retired. My mum died but my Dad carried it on for quite some years after and only retired 3.5 years ago.

Edited by discovery

Hello Missnovak, i lived on Clun rd,I'm 49 now and all i recall of Clun st was Grococks grocers, a younger girl called Deborah Higginbottom and a girl i was at school with Rita Butcher. They were good days for us i think.

hi [aka missnovak] now miss harlow[ lol.]:hihi:i dont remember those names as i was a very small child, so memories a bit sketchy but do you remember clun street or know anyone at all that used to live on there.i know a few names if i can just run them by you.you are the same age as me so ur memory might be bad too.there was a old lady called mrs kitson that lived on that road and someone with the surname swaine.can you remember at the top of clun st there used to be a place where scrap cars were we used to play in them ....pretending to drive them,lol:hihi:if you dont remember,its ok.best days of our lives down pitsmoor ay.regards from carole.x

Discovery, I remember all the names you mentioned and have fond memories of your Mom and Dad.David and Julie both send their best wishes to you,your sister and your Dad

Hello,

I remember Melia's but can't place its exact location. I do remember that there was a shop called Bevan's, between Wigfalls and the Collie. I never a reason to go in but seem to think part of the shop had a big skylight. I think it sold womens' clothes (or even underwear) and was really old fashioned, judging by what they put in the windows in the 1940s.

You mentioned Melia's but wasn't there also a Mellor's somewhere? As you will remember, Sheffield in the day' before the supermarkets had a lot of small/medium grocery chains Names such as: Shentall's (remember Harold Shentall was big in the FA), Gowers, Burgons, Gallons, Maypole, Lipton's in Haymarket, Home Farm Products, and so on.

All a long time ago.

Falls

My mother has a photo of my grandfather circa 1940s maybe earlier, stood outside the maypole grocery shop. She thinks the shop was on the wicker!, his name was tom and lived on normanton street, 35 i think.

Edited by tasape

Thanks Ellie for that information, do give Wendy my best wishes the next time you get in touch. Does she still pass out at the sight of blood, gosh, the times i saw her faint just at a spot. Do the Somersets still live in Sheffield, i went to school with Angela and was in the same class for most of our school life as did Wendy. Do you remember the Fittons?( My maiden name was Cotton)

Lynne cotton!, do you remember steve from normanton street. went to all saints school 61/62. and moved to gleadless about 1967 1969. used to hang around with tony burrows, pete eshelby, david taylor to name a few. Remember sally sails, mr hall, mrs draper!

Edited by tasape

This is directed to Texas - I'm only mentioning this because I know you lived in the general area and probably your era. Did you know a couple of girls by the name of Joyce Candlin and Shirley Housley? I think they lived in the same vicinity to one another, I recall they lived somewhere off Burngreave and that bombed church and if you were coming from town it would be on your left. Reason i'm asking they were just a couple of nice girls we met at the Greystones Dance one Saturday night.

We moved to Verdon Street Post Office in 1978 because my parents took it over. I didn't go to any of the local schools because my sister and I stayed in the school we were already in and travelled to it. We lived in the flat above the Post Office and Jane Naretti lived next door but one.

We made friends with Marion Smith and Carla and Deborah Somerset both lived on Verdon Street and Millicent Ellis who lived on the high rise flats round the corner from Rock Street. I also remember Kevin Jowe who lived near Rock Street and Andrew Moffat. Does anyone know any of these people? All went to High Storrs school with us.

OOOh and Mark Eades (who went to the same school as me) because his Nan lived on Verdon Street so we often caught the bus together when he was visiting her.

i know jane naretti i'm big mates with her brothers pete,tony,john,and the late mark,went to same school as nita

This is directed to Texas - I'm only mentioning this because I know you lived in the general area and probably your era. Did you know a couple of girls by the name of Joyce Candlin and Shirley Housley? I think they lived in the same vicinity to one another, I recall they lived somewhere off Burngreave and that bombed church and if you were coming from town it would be on your left. Reason i'm asking they were just a couple of nice girls we met at the Greystones Dance one Saturday night.

Hey fleets, fancy meeting you here. I don't remember Shirley Housley, but Joyce Candlin lived on Nottingham Street just around the corner from Fox St. And we're talking many years ago here, infants stuff.

Discovery, I remember all the names you mentioned and have fond memories of your Mom and Dad.David and Julie both send their best wishes to you,your sister and your Dad

Thanks.

Is that you Bob? :wave: How could I forget to mention David and Julie Toseland from Rock Street?

Edited by discovery

hi there

I knew Jane Naretti & Andrew Moffat they went to the same schol as me (Herries) back in the 80's

Hey fleets, fancy meeting you here. I don't remember Shirley Housley, but Joyce Candlin lived on Nottingham Street just around the corner from Fox St. And we're talking many years ago here, infants stuff.
I'd be about 18 Tex when I met Joyce.