Carbrook 1951/1970

I lived at the bottom of Yarmouth Street ( number 5 if I remember right ) I lived with my aunty and uncle called Whittaker because when I was born my mom had TB and wasn't allowed to look after me. On and off I lived there for about 5 years and remember starting my first school which was just round the corner. My aunty and uncle also had 2 children called Christine and Stephen. In the same yard as us I remember calling one lady aunty Hilda ( no relation to us ) think her surname was Hill and she had a daughter called Verena. Also in the same yard was a boy called Raymond. Over the wall on the bottom road there was a lady called Clara and she used to look after her brother called Joe, he was mentally retarded. After my aunty and uncle moved to a bigger house, some other relatives moved in, they were called Twelvetrees and their daughter Sharon was born there. Can anybody remember any of these names ?

I remember Verena Hill her mum used to do hairdressing.

I was born in 59 on amberley st, went to carbrook yes I remember miss renshaw she was a Strict one , Middleton ended up the head teacher or deputy, yes she was a big girl , can you remember Dunlop, miss Gregory was the best, what about P.E. on the coconut mats and the climbing ropes. Rounders was the game of the day boys v girls can anyone remember? The old houses were a playground just as someone mentioned that's where all the wood for the bonfires came from , Attercliffe, we had nothing but didn't need anything

hi I was born on amberley street whAT number did you live at we lived at 67 just a bit further down than carbrook street but i was already living there when you was born as i was born in 47 , so i dont think you would remember the jervis family, froggat family ,and the bruce family they were great times living on the cliff ,you didnt have to go to town because everything you wanted was there already , when we were kids we were made to go to maltby street every week to get a bath wether we wanted one ornot ,and had to go and see the nit nurse now and then to be checked over ,GOOD OLD DAYS .

I was born in no 44 and moved across to 25 amberley st , yes I knew the Jarvis family Gary was my mate , there was Dennis , Steve, Martin . The Bruce's Stuart was my age , you must have lived near the Platts , boldocks what's your surname ? I go by the name of brookes, I'm the youngest out of 4my brother joe would be your age and sister Doreen not far off, then sue came along and of course myself. Joe was a bit special with the darts , can you remember the Sally Army band would play and all the kids following them and of course the odd drunk, good childhood memories .

Edited by mickey b

Hi CL, not sure it's the same cobbler. This one was on the North side of the Cliffe across from Broughton Lane, I think maybe across from Ron Whyman's shop.

I spent much of my youth p[laying football on Carbrook rec, can remember when we used to pick sides and the same kids always got picked last, if at all, otherwise they had to joun the Mucky Dozen where the big shed was.

Couple of other people I remember were my doctors, Lee and Ivy Nicholl's, real doctors who didn't rant and rave if they had to make home visits.

I remember a cobblers shop and the name Googies come to mind, pronounced "Goo-Jees". He was famous for making clogs and I think he had another shop near Weedon street

I was born in no 44 and moved across to 25 amberley st , yes I knew the Jarvis family Gary was my mate , there was Dennis , Steve, Martin . The Bruce's Stuart was my age , you must have lived near the Platts , boldocks what's your surname ? I go by the name of brookes, I'm the youngest out of 4my brother joe would be your age and sister Doreen not far off, then sue came along and of course myself. Joe was a bit special with the darts , can you remember the Sally Army band would play and all the kids following them and of course the odd drunk, good childhood memories .

my name is johnson(ALAN) my brother was called brian are you related to doreen brooks :confused:

Yes Doreen is my sister, she has retired and lives in South Africa , she moved there in the seventies, has family over there, she returned here for a period but returned to S A last year,

Yes Doreen is my sister, she has retired and lives in South Africa , she moved there in the seventies, has family over there, she returned here for a period but returned to S A last year,

isnt that strange my brother was courting your sister for about 3years in the 60s.:o

It's a small world Alan, thanks to the inter web,

I was born in 59 on amberley st, went to carbrook yes I remember miss renshaw she was a Strict one , Middleton ended up the head teacher or deputy, yes she was a big girl , can you remember Dunlop, miss Gregory was the best, what about P.E. on the coconut mats and the climbing ropes. Rounders was the game of the day boys v girls can anyone remember? The old houses were a playground just as someone mentioned that's where all the wood for the bonfires came from , Attercliffe, we had nothing but didn't need anything

If you go to http://www.friendsreunited.co.uk and search for Carbrook Junior and Infants School you will find a few photo's of the staff including Veda Middleton who was head of the junior school (Miss Carr was head of the infants) David Dunlop and Brenda Renshaw are also pictured there. I was in both of their classes at one point, there are other teachers who aren't identified perhaps you can help put a name to them.

my name is johnson(ALAN) my brother was called brian are you related to doreen brooks :confused:

you remamber ray fox

Ok pal215 we went to school together, the coconut mats wow, how could anyone forget them, so what's the name of the attercliffe boy in Aussie ? Yes your bang on the money about the bonfires we used to have one across the road where no 44 was, they were the first houses on amberley st to get pulled down. The old crane was a good climb up the jib, we were filthy then the tin bath came out in front of the fire. Good old days without the the inter web ......