Carbrook 1951/1970

Hi CL, not sure it's the same cobbler. This one was on the North side of the Cliffe across from Broughton Lane, I think maybe across from Ron Whyman's shop.

I spent much of my youth p[laying football on Carbrook rec, can remember when we used to pick sides and the same kids always got picked last, if at all, otherwise they had to joun the Mucky Dozen where the big shed was.

Couple of other people I remember were my doctors, Lee and Ivy Nicholl's, real doctors who didn't rant and rave if they had to make home visits.

i was born and bred in this sublime area and loved most every bit of it some things i remember which spring to mind:-

nelsons papershop, westmorelands off licence. Flathers, lants, little wonder, jackson's chippies.

Carbrook county infants and junior schools,, miss carr, very strict looking and a little scary, ms's denbigh, featherstone, miss middleton, quite a large lady, miss renshaw, strange nose, man wild and his two friends gerald and leonard bone. Castles and alleys.

Bomb buildings which substituted for adventure playgrounds, pheasant with it's old building and underground pipes.

Haircuts at bob hewitts, street games, football on carbrook rec with the iron goal posts stuck in the ground.

Yawner and benelli the tramp who used to walk up and down the cliffe at about 100mph. Wagon train with the parents and 300 kids following behind.

Earps, les foxs', whymans.

Weir head, canalstrasse.

Hundreds of other great things too numerous to mention. Great fights, and if you won you didn't worry about someone sneaking up behind you to get revenge. If you lost, too bad.

you are talking about the 50s and 60s know them well know all these places the teachers and all

iSPENT ALL MY CHILDHOOD ON ATTERCLIFFE UP TO 1964 THEN MOVED AWAY BEST TIME OF MY LIFE WISH i COULD GO BACK .

iSPENT ALL MY CHILDHOOD ON ATTERCLIFFE UP TO 1964 THEN MOVED AWAY BEST TIME OF MY LIFE WISH i COULD GO BACK .

hi whitebike

just like you spent my childhood and growing up years till 1964 then moved to leafy part of sheffield still miss carbrook/ attercliffe area took a long time toget used to the quiet what a great place to grow up regards aj

Hi I lived on Carbrook Street near the weir head, in the the same yard as Glennis Fothergill. Just a couple of yards down from Rothwell's the papershop. I went to Carbrook C of E but then went to Coleridge Road for my secondary school while continuing living on the street. My memory of things is a little loose and so I appreciate these posts as they bring back memories and fill out the picture of my life. Thanks. I remember the doc Ivy Nichols very well: her hair; her stockings; her cheerful manner; her bags and bustle. The headmaster "Cornflake" who was white haired, well groomed and wore gold rim glasses. I remember the teachers who were sisters Miss and Mrs Edginton; Miss being the elder and a dragon. The Jackson's chippy and the great fish n chips.

Hi I lived on Carbrook Street near the weir head, in the the same yard as Glennis Fothergill. Just a couple of yards down from Rothwell's the papershop. I went to Carbrook C of E but then went to Coleridge Road for my secondary school while continuing living on the street. My memory of things is a little loose and so I appreciate these posts as they bring back memories and fill out the picture of my life. Thanks. I remember the doc Ivy Nichols very well: her hair; her stockings; her cheerful manner; her bags and bustle. The headmaster "Cornflake" who was white haired, well groomed and wore gold rim glasses. I remember the teachers who were sisters Miss and Mrs Edginton; Miss being the elder and a dragon. The Jackson's chippy and the great fish n chips.
hi yes the dragon caned me for talking in line told my mum she said serves you right she be arrested these days xx

what memories are brought back reading this, i used to do a paper round for Ivor Rothwell. Went to carbrook c of e too. Lived on short street near jean ball,margaret lily,the twins susan and sandra and their sister linda mitchell.went to school with jean humphrey,marina rochell,rita{lips},jim stansbie,roger houlston,marj newton to name but a few.

HI

I lived on Campbell road from being born ('58 ) until I think the mid 60's, my parents were the caretakers of Amos Stewarts coalyard (of Sheffield gangs fame)..

The yard backed on to the rec and footballs occasionally came over the fence..

I can't really remember much of that time but on my first day of school, apparently I swore at the teacher for no giving me any dinner!!!, also, they wouldn't let me do any painting as I scrubbed all the bristles off the brush :blush::blush::blush:

Cheers, Biggsy :)

Edited by biggsy

hi terrortone

the cobblers name was mawsons at corner of carltonville rd he had a big crocodile skin on his shop wall was a great bloke at making clogs was the first man i new who made coloured clogs for girls after the war regards aj

I remember the shop, I'm sure. wasn't it painted yellow, and clad in wooden panels?

I remember the shop, I'm sure. wasn't it painted yellow, and clad in wooden panels?
chip shop and the tuck shop on other corner tuck shop had the bloke with the pilot tash

chip shop and the tuck shop on other corner tuck shop had the bloke with the pilot tash

I remember the bright yellow frontage of the shop on the corner of Attercliffe Common and Carltonville Road, and I remember a shop on the corner of Ravensworth Road and Carltonville. I don't know if it specifically sold sweets, but I remember my mum buying my Jelly Tots and Sherbert Fountains from there.

I lived at the bottom of Yarmouth Street ( number 5 if I remember right ) I lived with my aunty and uncle called Whittaker because when I was born my mom had TB and wasn't allowed to look after me. On and off I lived there for about 5 years and remember starting my first school which was just round the corner. My aunty and uncle also had 2 children called Christine and Stephen. In the same yard as us I remember calling one lady aunty Hilda ( no relation to us ) think her surname was Hill and she had a daughter called Verena. Also in the same yard was a boy called Raymond. Over the wall on the bottom road there was a lady called Clara and she used to look after her brother called Joe, he was mentally retarded. After my aunty and uncle moved to a bigger house, some other relatives moved in, they were called Twelvetrees and their daughter Sharon was born there. Can anybody remember any of these names ?