Carbrook 1951/1970

Hi Terrortone

Do you remember the huge fairs that used to come on the pheasant ground every year. Ludbrooks small bakers shop just past Flathers chippie where we used to go every morning on our way to school and buy a warm penny or halfpenny bread cake and eat it before going into school.

I was born and bred in this sublime area and loved most every bit of it Some things I remember which spring to mind:-

Nelsons papershop, Westmorelands off licence. Flathers, Lants, Little Wonder, Jackson's chippies.

Carbrook County infants and junior schools,, Miss Carr, very strict looking and a little scary, Ms's Denbigh, Featherstone, Miss Middleton, quite a large lady, Miss Renshaw, strange nose, Man Wild and his two friends Gerald and Leonard Bone. Castles and Alleys.

Bomb buildings which substituted for adventure playgrounds, Pheasant with it's old building and underground pipes.

Haircuts at Bob Hewitts, street games, football on Carbrook rec with the iron goal posts stuck in the ground.

Yawner and Benelli the tramp who used to walk up and down the Cliffe at about 100mph. Wagon train with the parents and 300 kids following behind.

Earps, Les Foxs', Whymans.

Weir Head, canalstrasse.

Hundreds of other great things too numerous to mention. Great fights, and if you won you didn't worry about someone sneaking up behind you to get revenge. if you lost, too bad.

I moved to attercliffe when i was 4 yr old approx in 1963/4 and moved away when i was 9..i went to carbrooke school..remember lots of great stuff bout the cliffe..sayles sweet shop, lambpool pub, the pavillion picture house the old rec many a happy hour playing there.names i remember the flowers who owned a corner shop..fosters cousins chipchase i lived on carltonville rd number 19..be great to find some old friends..i remember susan cousins very well..her mothers name was betty chipchase..not seen em in years..remember kevin bernard and a karen foster very well.my name was carole staniforth then..mr wassal was my teacher back then. x:)

I moved to attercliffe when i was 4 yr old approx in 1963/4 and moved away when i was 9..i went to carbrooke school..remember lots of great stuff bout the cliffe..sayles sweet shop, lambpool pub, the pavillion picture house the old rec many a happy hour playing there.names i remember the flowers who owned a corner shop..fosters cousins chipchase i lived on carltonville rd number 19..be great to find some old friends..i remember susan cousins very well..her mothers name was betty chipchase..not seen em in years..remember kevin bernard and a karen foster very well.my name was carole staniforth then..mr wassal was my teacher back then. x:)

hi teenyweeny lived on carltonville rd from 1939/62 kevin bernard is my nephew he still lives at darnel regards aj

I remember a cobblers shop and the name Googies come to mind, pronounced "Goo-Jees". He was famous for making clogs and I think he had another shop near Weedon street

I remember Donald Goudge, sat for hours in his dingy workshop watching him make clogs his shop was at 607 Attercliffe Common, between Warden Street and Mons Street.I have a pair of clogs he made for me when I was about 2 years old! My Aunt Eva had a sweet (spice!) shop at 611 " Hendy's". She died in 2000 aged 102.

hi teenyweeny lived on carltonville rd from 1939/62 kevin bernard is my nephew he still lives at darnel regards aj

hi there i think i found him on facebook but i dont think he remembers me..:)

Man, that guy could do anything with shoes. Regularly needed leather soles and he always did a perfect job.

Anyone remember Benelli the tramp who used to walk up and down the 'Cliffe at 60mph?

I went to this school around 1974 till I think, 1978. I'm 56 an old git. 

I am originally from in Wincobank  but lived in Carbrook  from around 1962 with wife Sandra and two sons Kurt and Glen until we were re housed in 1971 up to Gleadless .  We lived at 21 Bee St  an old English Steel house.  Can anyone recall a fine and tall looking woman who used to call in at the Ex on Carbrook Street, but only in the afternoons.  She was well dressed and well spoken and   I think that she was once from the Carbrook area because most people seemed to know her.  Her first name was Carrie.