Looking for old Woodhouse Grammar school pupils 1958-1963

Hi `Floyd`

Yes I do remember you! Remember sitting on a bench in a park or recreation ground,or have I lost the thread.I think we were in the same form at some time.Did you sit next to David Allsop? Need to jog the old memory cells a bit.

Always thought of you as Floyd. Are you a Wednesdayite? I think Jackie Sewel used to play for them.

Susanne, can I send an email without going through the forum?

floyd

---------- Post added 18-03-2013 at 18:02 ----------

Grovey,

Yes Jackie Sewell (2 Ls on the end) did play for Wednesday and yes I am a lifelong Wednesdayite. I've got a season ticket and go every week, also to away matches.

At Woodhouse I started in 57 in form 1S (Mr.Salt). Margaret Alton was in that class, then went 2A,3A etc. I knew Pauline and Ian too whom you mentioned in earlier posts. There's some other stuff I don't wish to put on here, but that's a bit to be going on with.

Please feel free to share your memories and pictures in the Facebook Group

Aston Comprehensive School friends and memories - All years

Hi everyone. I am trying to track down my mum’s best friend from school but all I know is that she is called Avis and now lives in Chester.  They went to wood house grammar school in the 1960s mum was born in 1949.  My mums name was Gillian Heaton and her married name is Gillian Baker.  If Avis is out there, or anyone knows any more details can you help?  Mum if you are on this forum sorry - I was trying to keep it a secret for your birthday 😊😂

I went to WGS 1951/1957

I am still in regular e mail and WhatsApp with a number of e pupils from y years there, residing in UK, Australia, Canada, France - I have lived in Malaysia for the past 12 years

My name is Victor Marshall Hutchinson 79 but 80 on July 01 2020

I am tying to locate a guy from the same years there, knew him firstly at Swallownest Infants then Junior School = name is Danny Randal or Randall.

At the time he lived with his aunt on Park Hill, Swallownest

He is married with grown up children. Originally worked for United Coke and Chemicals at Treeton Grange then the company offices moved to Orgreave

I heard recently that after marrying he lived on, or just off, Richmond Road Handsworth 

Any information will be helpful

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

Hello Victor.

My wife has just had a look and there is a Danny Randle (aged 65+ ) living in Sheffield S11 who could be your man. She looked on www.192.com

Best Regards

Brian Mears  (chair  Aston-cum- Aughton History Group)

On 06/01/2020 at 06:44, victormh said:

I went to WGS 1951/1957

I am still in regular e mail and WhatsApp with a number of e pupils from y years there, residing in UK, Australia, Canada, France - I have lived in Malaysia for the past 12 years

My name is Victor Marshall Hutchinson 79 but 80 on July 01 2020

I am tying to locate a guy from the same years there, knew him firstly at Swallownest Infants then Junior School = name is Danny Randal or Randall.

At the time he lived with his aunt on Park Hill, Swallownest

He is married with grown up children. Originally worked for United Coke and Chemicals at Treeton Grange then the company offices moved to Orgreave

I heard recently that after marrying he lived on, or just off, Richmond Road Handsworth 

Any information will be helpful

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

Hi Victor,

if you have not had luck in reaching Danny, there is a Facebook group called Treeton Grange so maybe some ex colleagues are still in touch or may have information about him. 

Good luck,

Talib

On 28/04/2020 at 18:08, Talib said:

Hi Victor,

if you have not had luck in reaching Danny, there is a Facebook group called Treeton Grange so maybe some ex colleagues are still in touch or may have information about him. 

Good luck,

Talib

I was at WGS1951/56. Remember Danny Randle; met and stayed in touch with Bill (William) Lawton until he passed away 5 years ago. Was nicknamed Cyrano (for the obvious reasons).

Edited by Keith F
Minor. I was from Handsworth, Bill from Brinsworth and his sister, Enid a couple of years younger. Others coming to mind: Peter Wrag, Cynthia Flower (always greeted as Hiya Cynth), sorry if you see this Cynthia.

Thanks for the additional information Keith F, I will try and follow this through  later

Mmm you are of course referring to the French historic character - Cyrano De Bergerac  with his outsize nose

1951 to 1956 ?? so same time as myself, have we met in our earlier lives - nly classes I recall ere 1F Len Fox) and 5G ad I think the form master was Mr Wynne, who usually taught English - he lives at Gleadless

Dont know if you remember, but there was a Paul Mellows at WGS, always in the A Stream - we had been playmates since about age of 4, our mothers knew each other from their Swallownest School Days, as did out grandmothers. He leaft to go to University, then became a teacher/lecturer at Sheffield University before moving to Cambridge University and finally becoming Head of Corpus Christie College there

He was Professor Paul John Mellows but round 2011 was Knighted and became Professor Sir Paul John Mellows - his vocation was "Prehistoric Man" and he travelled to different countries at times to lecture on this - this was his interest since about age 5, when he would dig in the garden hoping to get deep enough down to find the tops of the Pyramids 

Many years ago since we were both 5 years old,  (1945)

Best Wishes from Malaysia - UK  + 7 hours, (8 hours when you return to GMT), and 38C, or 100.4 F , always summer here  - Victor Marshall Hutchinson Ex Swallownest to 1967, Driffield 1967 to end of 2006, then Malaysia to date

15 hours ago, DeWasteney said:

Thanks for the additional information Keith F, I will try and follow this through  later

Mmm you are of course referring to the French historic character - Cyrano De Bergerac  with his outsize nose

1951 to 1956 ?? so same time as myself, have we met in our earlier lives - nly classes I recall ere 1F Len Fox) and 5G ad I think the form master was Mr Wynne, who usually taught English - he lives at Gleadless

Dont know if you remember, but there was a Paul Mellows at WGS, always in the A Stream - we had been playmates since about age of 4, our mothers knew each other from their Swallownest School Days, as did out grandmothers. He leaft to go to University, then became a teacher/lecturer at Sheffield University before moving to Cambridge University and finally becoming Head of Corpus Christie College there

He was Professor Paul John Mellows but round 2011 was Knighted and became Professor Sir Paul John Mellows - his vocation was "Prehistoric Man" and he travelled to different countries at times to lecture on this - this was his interest since about age 5, when he would dig in the garden hoping to get deep enough down to find the tops of the Pyramids 

Many years ago since we were both 5 years old,  (1945)

Best Wishes from Malaysia - UK  + 7 hours, (8 hours when you return to GMT), and 38C, or 100.4 F , always summer here  - Victor Marshall Hutchinson Ex Swallownest to 1967, Driffield 1967 to end of 2006, then Malaysia to date

I went from WGS to United Coke & Chemicals, but as a chemist at the Orgreave location. As did Bill Lawton and Keith Pass.

Bill was there until it was shut down. He was no fan of Bill Sirs, Arthur Scargill... I left around 1960 to join Newton Chambers Engineering, adjacent to the Izal factory. 

At Chapeltown

Edited by Keith F
Missed out

On 12/01/2006 at 22:28, mikeh said:

I went to school with a loads of people from parsons cross,ecclesfield and Kiveton to name but three.If there are any old mates or matessess out there remember me, big ears ,nose and not too enthused about school an all,I 'd love to chat about old times.:):rolleyes:

I was there 1952 - 1956. Am I too old for anyone here?

I was at WGS from September 1951 to July 1958 started in 1Fwhere the form master was Len Fox, who taught maths

Victor Marshall Hutchinson from Swallownest, later I lived in Driffield from late 1967-ut since start 0f 2007 I have lived most of the time here in Malaysia