Looking for old Woodhouse Grammar school pupils 1958-1963

Grovy - your memory is good, the names are correct. I was at WGS from 1951 to 1958, as stated in my previous e mail on this subject. It is interesting that you lived at Fence. I wonder if I know you, although you are younger than myself (born July 1940). I lived on Park Hill and knew a lot of people down Fence, starting with the Henry Boot houses and going right doen to the school. My parents lived in the last semi before the field and the start of the Henry Boot Houses. My name is Victor Marshall Hutchinson, you may have known our neighbours daughter, she is a bit younger than myself - Stella Chambers. Other names I remember at Fence - Simonites, Fosters, Ken Siddall from the Farm, and some whose face I can see now but not their family names. Plus Hazel Lumb and Ray and Kit Lister and their children.

Best Wishes from Malaysia - Victor

Grovey - I have just noted that you mention Margaret Alton - she was from Swallownest, lived at the reear of Hall and Knights hardware shop with her parents and grandmother. Her mothers maiden name was Jessie Knight, she was a friend of my mothers. Margaret had a brother my age and in the same year at both Swallownest School and WGS - he is David Alton. Their father was a school teaccher at Aston School.

David is a retired teacher and lives near Bawtry and I have no contact number for him. Margaret married a German guy and became Margaret Wincke - she lives in Germany, I think i have her e mail address, but she is, or was, on the Freinds Reunited WGS page as Margaret Wincke.

Hope yo find this informative

Here in Malaysia ar 2-0opm - "It Aint Alf Ot Mum" - 103 - about avergage most days of the year

Best Wishes - Victor

Hi Vic. Margaret was one of my best friends at Swallownest School. I was born on West Park Drive and moved "down Fence" when I was six.Lived next door to Arthur`s , you perhaps knew Sylvia or Morris,Jean was my age and they had a younger brother Michael. Do you remember Barry and Terence Meredith, Peter and Daphne Robinson, Margaret Reynolds or Margaret Antcliffe. Its all coming back to me. My Grandma and Grandad lived on West Park Drive and I went to school with a lot of kids from there. Trevor Overton, Eric Ward, Trevor Maxfield( Maxfields coaches). Knights was the first house after the field.

Its great to go down memory lane.

Edited by grovey

Sunday 9-25pm - Malaysia

Dear Grovey,

You are "spot on" - those were the names I was trying to remember, I could see theiir faces but not recall their individual name - I knew all of them.

As for West Park Drive, my grandparents lived round the far side, down a walkway on the left, in one of the pre-fabs. Then later they moved up to Arcabus Avenue into a bungalow.

My first house in Swallownest before moving to Driffield, Near Bridlington in 1967, was a new semi and built on Park Drive, that is the road off Chesterfield Road (always called Beighton Lane) which went up to Memories Builders Yard. the road was a dead end then, with a steel barrier separating it from West Park Drive.

Just remembered Covey - round the back of West Park Drive, in the semis was someone else you may remember - Colin Cotterill, his wife and daughter by the name of either Ruth or Pauline - not sure which. She was younger than me so may be around your age

Yes mmm mmmm Memory Lane indeed

Best Wishes - Victor

Is this an additional reunion to the annual one usually held every June at Dinnington Rugby Club ?

I remember Jessie - her favourite expression was "you sir, will come to a very sticky end".

Last time I saw her was at the 2005 reunion, that is the last one I went to. In 2006 I was here in Malaysia arranging premises etc ready to move my business and manufacturing here (away from the devastation being caused by B.Liar and Gormless Gordon), 16km south of Kuala Lumpur. Never bothered to go back to the UK since. My wife and daughters live here and enjoy the lifestyle and 365 days of hot sun and blue skies - no seasons.

I was at WGS from Sept 1951 to July 1958 - Victor Marshall Hutchinson from Swallownest, then Driffield, East Yorkshire and finally, Malaysia

Best Wishes to all Woodhovians - Grey Eminence - Subang Jaya - Malaysia

I had a bit of Deja Vu reading your post

My sister went to WGS. My surname is Marshall and I live in Petaling Jaya!

She was right about the sticky end - very humid here:)

I guess my Mum would have been at the school somewhere around 1958 onwards. Her maiden name was Elaine Scafe.

You may remember my father. John ("Jack") Atherton taught English at WGS until 1962. I believe that he was nicknamed "Charlie". I remember going to the school with him sometimes when I was a boy, especially when he was conducting rehearsals for the school play which he always produced; I particularly remember 'A Midsummer Night's Dream'.

I remember some of the other teachers such as Pete Horton, Mac Rotherham, Mr. Beynon, Mr. Barker (known as "Bink") and Miss (Jessie) Baston. Dad passed on at his Leicestershire home in 2004, and I was very moved when Miss Baston, though she was obviously not very mobile, came to the funeral - she had a tremendous spirit.

To me, then a primary schoolboy in our home area of Gleadless, WGS seemed enormous! Then after my 11+ I went to King Ted's which was probably even bigger. I am sorry to hear that the old Grammar School buildings have been demolished.

Mike Atherton

I have just come across this forum while searching for something else. I went to WGS from 1958 to 1963. I remember those teachers mentioned by Athy and was taught by most of them. WGS gave me a good start in life and although I left school at 16 yrs old I have gone on to have a great life. I am now thinking of retiring as I am nearly 65. It is many years since I lived in Sheffield but I still visit as I have family living in the area. I am still in contact with a friend I made in my first year when we were both in Mr Evans form, 1B. I still have all my old school photos and occasionally look at them and remember those years with fondness.

Just joined forum so looked at Woodhouse Grammar straight away. I was there from 1957 to 1962 and lived at Fence.I remember Miss Baston, Frank Pinion(Trunky) Mr Barker (Physics) Mr Langrish(chemistry)he also taught my mother! Mr Naylor(english) He was married to the French Teacher, whose name slips my mind.Mrs Porter(maths) she was a tyrant and left to have a baby, at a very mature age, we all thought.

Lived in Sheffield all my life until 2003 when my husband and myself took early retirement and went to live in the Limousin,France.

Never been to a reunion, would love to but don`t know anything about them.

I was in the same year as Pauline Boot, Elizabeth Hartley, Ian Brook, Margaret Alton, Sam Parkin,Elaine Scafe to name but a few.

What's your first name Grovey?

---------- Post added 17-03-2013 at 09:08 ----------

I was also at WGS from 1957 onwards in the Grovey year so I'd like to resurrect this thread if anyone's still reading it.

There is btw a Reunion on 27th April at Vasco's Restaurant in Wickersley at 2pm

:confused:Hi Jackie,Can`t recall a Jackie, what was your maiden name(If you are female?).Can you give more info.?

Live in France so can`t make reunion,but remember me to anyone from my era please.

P.S what is "btw" (bring the wine?):

Edited by grovey
revealed my name

Hi Norfolk Lady,

I was at WGS from 1957 to 1962, and was in Mr Evans form, but 3b,Form room was in the newer prefab type buildings up the stone steps leading to the tennis courts. I was in the same year as Margaret Alton,Pauline Boot, Elizabeth Hartley ,Gillian Harris. Sadly I am not in touch with any of my old school friends.

Am retired and am living with my husband in rural France for the last 10 years.

My mother also went to WGS and some of the teachers who taught me,also taught her. Mr Langrish being one of them. He had suffered from shell shock in the WW1 as I remember.

Wow, I thought it must be you! I'm male and Jackie is a pseudonym. See if you can remember Steven Parker (nickname Floyd). If not I'll have to give you a clue.

Btw might mean bring the wine in France but here it's plain "by the way".