Sheffield v Nottingham House Prices

Sorry wasn't meant to sound like that.

The 4 houses were over a 16 year period so I'm no rich property developer.

Have you specific ideas on the area, type of house etc.. ?

Sometimes posters on here can give you a fresh outlook on areas or types of houses you hadn't thought of.

Isn't the difference that the OP is seeing down to not comparing like for like regarding the areas they are looking in?

Isn't the difference that the OP is seeing down to not comparing like for like regarding the areas they are looking in?

Having lived in both cities I feel I am in a better position than most to compare the areas like for like. For example, I would compare Sneinton to Heeley as both are walking distance from the town centre, both have what could be deemed as a tourist attraction (Greens Windmill and City Farm respectively), and both have a similar demographic (multicultural, first time buyers and families, student friendly but not over-run with students)

So you're probably in a better position than most to know if prices are comparable or not...

OP- Simple answer - supply and demand.

It depends what you are looking for in a house/home. I drive a lot for my job so personally prefer to live in an area with quick access to major roads and motorways. The places I have lived have been further away from Sheffiled city centre, hence cheaper but I've been able to travel into Sheffield quicker than some people living in Sheffield. I'm not bothered about nightlife on my door step so I don't need to be in the City. There is a good train service from Doncaster and Retford to London (for my husband) for business meetings.

I'm analytical when it comes to house buying though and I can see through other peoples decor. Make a list of what you want, what you don't want and what you are/ are not prepared to compromise on. Not many people can afford the 'perfect' house without any compromise to thier wish list.

I live just North of Nottingham and work in Sheffield. Both cities have their attributes but I prefer the Nottingham nightlife. West Sheffield can be very expensive, much more than the most expensive areas of Nottingham

I don't understand people who can't see beyond the current colour of the walls or the furniture. It's highly unlikely that they'll find a house painted in exactly the colours they'd have chosen!

So you're probably in a better position than most to know if prices are comparable or not...

Cyclone I always find your responses carry an air of superiority and condescension and when writing my OP I did actually wonder how long it would take you to chime in with a humourless, unhelpful remark. Thanks for not letting me down :)

You're the one who's lived in both cities and

I feel I am in a better position than most to compare the areas like for like

Which I actually thought seemed fair, but now that you mention it that sounds rather superior and condescending itself doesn't it. I guess that helped you spot it in my reply.

Not everyone wants a large garden, some people don't want much of a garden at all.