Barbel in the Sheaf?

The burnt wall on the canal by the access point just off Bernard road was caused by a group of youngish lads lighting a fire whilst night fishing. I know this as i checked it out whilst driving past very early one morning. The smoke was blowing across the road.

Where abouts did the Barbel come out of the canal?

Total Posts: 27 Quote:

Originally Posted by spankysufc

barbel in the canal????? please tell us more

Around 7lb mark, caught on hair rigged boilie.

Plumpers stretch.

It didn't occur to me until later, how lucky to hit that fish.

D'oh !

ive seen barbel in the sheaf at heeley bridge maybe a couple at most on the side where the old bridge inn pub is,not sure how they got in,but you can fish the sheaf at various places further up, such as tesco's and millhouses,maybe they have got in from the abbeydale industrial hamlet pond? walked on the canal in the rain monday and noticed various pike and carp bait packets throw in the bushes along with the bankside's burnt and the walls black are certain people catching pike and carp and cooking em on the bankside? this was between bacon lane and staniforth road and also the access point at bernard road, very worrying, on the plus side it looked very very tasty the canal and full of fish!

Same stretch, up by the Sheaf view pub, on the path behind comet, see trout on a regular basis, not big, but often 6-7 inch brown trout, spotted herons and kingfishers in the same spot suggesting ample supply of fish in that stretch.

yep we have had that barbel out of plumpers too on luncheon meat

Had a good walk around and I think that I have found a likely looking spot. I've seen several large chub but no barbel yet. The river is full of trout that's for sure.

DanielH are you Danny from Sprite who fishes the Don?

If so Ayup mate.

The access to the Sheaf is pretty difficult without waders but I have found a few likely looking spots.

I try with small lumps of meat cos maggots or casters will get hammered by the trout.

I'll have a go for the trout next season as well. Full of surprises these little urban rivers.

I past the angler that had the barbel the other week and was shocked to hear that news! was it one of you guys? I was on the bike at like 5am with masses of tackle tied to my back haha. Really good looking.

I used to fish the sheaf about 10yrs ago, twentywell lane area. I remember once the hamlet wall collapsed and sent 100s of fish into the sheaf, that was a great time for me. I went from catching 1lb brown trout to catching all sorts!

Anyone wanting a good days fishing on the Sheaf, here is a fantastic spot but take a long extending landing net.

back in a mo when I can get the link to work folks !!!

here ya go http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=53.351577,-1.483987&spn=0.000003,0.003414&t=m&z=19&layer=c&cbll=53.351577,-1.483987&panoid=kUdyo5133mYoreIoPCT0SQ&cbp=12,302.55,,0,0

Yes know it, I'd spotted that pool last week.

My landing net will reach ........ just.

Yes know it, I'd spotted that pool last week.

My landing net will reach ........ just.

There is a fantastic hole behind the Beuchief Hotel that you can get to by going over the gate on the railway bridge and following the small stream to the Sheaf. When you get to the river walk upstream to find the spot about 25 yards upstream. Full of very nice trout Cee_vee ;)