Barbel in the Sheaf?

I keep hearing rumours of barbel finding there way into the Sheaf. I would like to have a go at proving that they are there but not sure where I can try. I work in the city centre so was thinking of trying one afternoon soon.

The obvious thing is to try close to the confluence with the Don which has plenty of barbel in it, but for most of that area the river is underground in culverts.

Any suggestions where I could try? Slightly deeper pools with a good flow, perhaps just downstream of a weir is where barbel will be.

There are probably some barbel in the Loxley as well, but one at a time eh?

I caught a large barbel in the canal, during the downpour last night... After that I'll believe they're everywhere!

barbel in the canal????? please tell us more :)

regarding the sheaf the majority of the sheaf is shallow and unfishable near the city centre so unsure where the rumours are coming from!!

The rumours are coming from 'reputable' anglers who don't want to say too much. :o

As you say most of the Sheaf is inaccessible and shallow but don't let that fool you. Yesterday I caught a barbel in a 'river' even smaller than the sheaf, it was only 2.5lb but what a buzz that was. They get in the daftest of places. Often fish will move into the small tributaries to spawn. When they get bigger they will normally drop down into the main river during a flood.

So I suppose what I'm asking is where can you actually get down to the river and fish it? Especially a weir pool. It's not so easy to see on Google Earth.

Mind you its a raging torrent today so I'll let it drop a bit :D

Edited by Cee_vee

barbel in the canal????? please tell us more :)

a few good barbel in the stainforth and keadby canal too - all linked up

barbel in the canal????? please tell us more

Around 7lb mark, caught on hair rigged boilie.

Plumpers stretch.

It didn't occur to me until later, how lucky to hit that fish.

ive seen barbel in the sheaf at heeley bridge maybe a couple at most on the side where the old bridge inn pub is,not sure how they got in,but you can fish the sheaf at various places further up, such as tesco's and millhouses,maybe they have got in from the abbeydale industrial hamlet pond? walked on the canal in the rain monday and noticed various pike and carp bait packets throw in the bushes along with the bankside's burnt and the walls black are certain people catching pike and carp and cooking em on the bankside? this was between bacon lane and staniforth road and also the access point at bernard road, very worrying, on the plus side it looked very very tasty the canal and full of fish!

Iv fished the sheaf for 42 years and never once caught nor seen any Barbel in it. I don't doubt that they are there as they 'will' be in the deep culverts through the city centre but access is at best dodgy. I have waded up the Sheaf from the city centre right up to totley brook mapping out all the availlable fishing spots that are otherwise not accessible from the road and ther are some fantastic little holes that are fishable either with a small spinning rod or a 6 ft fly rod (my preferred method). If you have a pair of chest waders, the Sheaf is well worth looking up.

ive seen barbel in the sheaf at heeley bridge maybe a couple at most on the side where the old bridge inn pub is,not sure how they got in,but you can fish the sheaf at various places further up, such as tesco's and millhouses,maybe they have got in from the abbeydale industrial hamlet pond? walked on the canal in the rain monday and noticed various pike and carp bait packets throw in the bushes along with the bankside's burnt and the walls black are certain people catching pike and carp and cooking em on the bankside? this was between bacon lane and staniforth road and also the access point at bernard road, very worrying, on the plus side it looked very very tasty the canal and full of fish!

Fished that stretch of the canal a few weeks ago. 2 blokes had a fire going, they were burning the insulation off wire to weigh in.

Edited by kevvy

I've been enjoying freelining bread on the Sheaf in city centre in a couple of spots over the last few weeks and had plenty of trout and graying out, one trout weighed 2lb too, pretty big considering the size of the river.

Not seen any barbel yet though but that would be a nice suprise to be able to fish for those on my doorstep.

Hi my friend got a barble from the canal last week . It was about 7lb . I have a picture ov it too