Where to buy truffles in/around Sheffield?

No ... not the chocolate confections ... the underground mushrooms.

Saw a programme on telly this morning and some bloke was making truffle omelette. Never tried truffles before, so thought I'd give it a try. Anyone know where to get them? :huh:

I understand that you can mine them yourself in Derbyshire, but wouldn't know what to look for and probably end up eating a dead ferret. :gag:

Ooops! ... this should be in Sheffield Discussions ... sorry mods! :o

(I blame it on my new cordless mouse ... it scampers all over the place!)

Looks like the Derbyshire truffle mines are thriving according to this.

I don't think I've ever seen fresh truffles for sale around here but Waitrose (and possibly Sainsbury's) have them in jars. I love truffles with scrambled egg but my OH can't either smell or taste them, apparently that's not uncommon so make sure you're not immune to them before spending your hard earned.

I don't think I've ever seen fresh truffles for sale around here but Waitrose (and possibly Sainsbury's) have them in jars. I love truffles with scrambled egg but my OH can't either smell or taste them, apparently that's not uncommon so make sure you're not immune to them before spending your hard earned.

Thanks, but I'm after fresh ones really ... if they're local, then even better! :)

what do these truffles taste like?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

No ... not the chocolate confections ... the underground mushrooms.

Saw a programme on telly this morning and some bloke was making truffle omelette. Never tried truffles before, so thought I'd give it a try. Anyone know where to get them? :huh:

I understand that you can mine them yourself in Derbyshire, but wouldn't know what to look for and probably end up eating a dead ferret. :gag:

Don't you need a pig to find them for you?

I'm not saying which half of Sheffield you could easily come across one.:)

Don't you need a pig to find them for you?

I'm not saying which half of Sheffield you could easily come across one.:)

Eh? ... you seem to know more than you're letting on here? :huh:

Try S6, you might find a truffle finder.

Sorry Wednesday, I'm just having a laugh before you all want to hunt me down :hihi:

Try S6, you might find a truffle finder.

Sorry Wednesday, I'm just having a laugh before you all want to hunt me down :hihi:

Oh ... I see. You're joking on my thread?

Well, let me tell you, young lady ... there's a time and a place for jolly badinage and this isn't it! :rolleyes:

Tell us where the truffles are or there'll be ... trouble!

Thanks, but I'm after fresh ones really ... if they're local, then even better! :)

I don't want to discourage you but I think they're usually from France or Italy. If you do find them locally, let me know !

I don't want to discourage you but I think they're usually from France or Italy. If you do find them locally, let me know !

No ... you can deffo get 'em from Derbyshire! The cookery programme I saw, showed them being mined there ... they said it was a secret location, but I noticed Carl Wark in the background. :)