Were Pubs Better In The 60s??

would he be the bloke whats been buying all the earplugs on ebay?

Aye - :hihi:

Love it....

Larky's post should be nominated "post of the month".

Cheers Allen m8, i agree :D

Love it....

Post of the decade more like. He does have a lot to say.

Love it....

Thank you Larky you have brought a tear to my eyes.

Hope you move to a street near me .

We learn something new everyday, the majority of people who have heard of DHL in this area all think he finished writing the novel Kangaroo at a house opposite Bald Hill Lookout, overlooking Stanwell Park, me included until I looked it up on google.

they might be right ,I'm only going on what my lunatic friend tells me.

Aye - :hihi:

Cheers Allen m8, i agree :D

I appreciate your sense of humour larky:thumbsup:

[quote=johncocker;

I'm only going on what my lunatic friend tells me.

I'm surprised your lunatic friend didn't go to Crookes to have a look at the outside lav where the real John Cocker came up with the tune for "Little Help From My Friend's", ha ha.

That other house I mentioned might have been rented by Lawrence Hargreaves, the aviator.

In my humble opinion the answer is definately yes take the quality of the beer for a start,back then most bitter beers were good Stones,Wards,Tetleys etc.Not like todays chemical enduced offerings,next entertainment, back then any day of the week somewhere in Sheffield there was a live group on,for instance Mondays we visited the Wheatsheaf Lane Top,Tuesday Arbourthorne hotel,Wednesday Firth Park forgot the pub name,Thursday Sicey Hotel,Friday Blue Bell Hackenthorpe,Sat and Sunday we went out Derbyshire Lathkildale Hotel and Monsaldale Hotel in every pub there was a group on.Another thing behaviour you used to see odd fights and billious bouts not like today the last time I went down town it was like a madhouse at throwing out times,the women were worst than the men screaming fighting passing out,nobody seems to have any control or self respect,if you can,t take it don,t sup it!.So to me apart from the real ale pubs such as Khelam Islands offerings the pubs in the sixties in Sheffield were a lot better,what say you??.:confused::roll::huh:

I remember taking part in a survey of pubs still serving beer with traditional handpumps in the early 1970s. This resulted in the first beer guide for Sheffield and District branch of CAMRA. We could only find a handful - the fizzy keg and lager revolution was well under way and it was aweful stuff. It resulted in the loss of Wards, proper Stones, Tennants Queens, Shipstones & proper Barnsley Bitter - to name but a few. The brewers introduced cellar tanks and pressurised kegs and treated us to chemical beers such as Double Diamond, Tankard, Red Barrel etc. Fortunately CAMRA and drinker power has helped to stem the rot and there are now a fairly decent selection of locally produced real beers to be had in many pubs/bars in and around Sheffield

Of course they were better - we were young!

Spot on ! tastes change as we get older, much prefer quiet real ale pubs now, thats not to say West st in the 70s was not enjoyable.

Todays pubs are cleaner, open longer and on the whole sell better beers, a bigger range too.

West st today is just as busy, loud and youthful as it ever was.

Eccy road is stilll full of ten bob millionaires that think they are to posh for west st.

Kelham Island has not changed in decades.

One thing i do miss from days gone by, is the lounge/tap room pubs. I am a non smoker but miss the choice and option of having the odd cigar with a pint (indoors). And the 40p a pint price tag of course.

used to drink in all the pubs on norfek park.

Love it....

Or post of the year. There's so much in it it'd take me a year to read it all. :hihi:

Sorry. Just looked back. I've already nominated it for post of the decade.

The Wharnecliffe was the pub at Firth Park, I left the country over 40 years ago, but Sheffield was certainly the place to live for work and pleasure in the 50's and 60's, great times, and has you say, very little trouble at throwing out time, and then it was one on one using fists only.

The Wharncliffe ... only pub I've ever been in where there was a fight on Christmas Day dinnertime!

Tup it was the Pheasent at Lane top.People used to gather in groups to sing at chucking out time not to scrap,if there was a punch up it was soon forgotten.